PDA

View Full Version : Lion Brand "Luxury" Yarns

lindakh
11-03-2006, 12:27 PM
I apologize if this has already been posted, but I received the following newsletter from Lion today: http://cache.lionbrand.com/Newsletters/2006NovIssue1.html

They have some very nice "luxury" yarns now, but they're so expensive! I can't see my local Michaels carrying these...

doyvicios
11-03-2006, 12:28 PM
I was just discussing the same thing. I think it's way too expensive.

Jan in CA
11-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Pretty, but yikes! :zombie:

brendajos
11-03-2006, 12:52 PM
okay that made me laugh out loud. While i am sure the yarn is lovely you can get stuff that is either identical, nearly the same, or even much better for a lower price at the LYS. notta chance i would spend that much money on LION brand yarn! :doh:

stitchwitch
11-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Holy guacamole! I don't consider myself a cheap person but dang they are a little pricey. :passedout:

Stiney
11-03-2006, 12:59 PM
WHAT?

Are they out of their cashmere/mohair/silk-picking minds?!

knit-errant
11-03-2006, 01:07 PM
I tend towards being a very spendy, impulsive person but I cannot imagine paying $39 for 100yds of yarn. (That's what some of them were, weren't they?)

That's just... zany.

doyvicios
11-03-2006, 01:39 PM
As soon as I hear of a sale I am letting everyone know!!!

brendajos
11-03-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't know...something tells me it is their attempt at breaking through to the LYS as opposed to just Hobby Lobby type stores. I don't think there is anything wrong with Lion yarns but I like them better at the Hobby Lobby pricing....not the high end, locked in a cabinet LYS pricing. That just seems ridiculous and i have a feeling it won't be a good niche for them.

ChroniclesofYarnia
11-03-2006, 01:49 PM
I'll be the one standing under the clearance rack when the bottom drops out of those prices. Their Lion Wool is more expensive than Cascade or Lamb's Pride. Idiots...all they are doing is turning people off of knitting because it is so expensive.

stitchwitch
11-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Nothing like making a $240 sweater!!!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Sara
11-03-2006, 01:52 PM
They must be getting their cashmere off of unicorns to price it that high! :shock:

:roflhard:

Quiara
11-03-2006, 01:54 PM
They must be getting their cashmere off of unicorns to price it that high! :shock:

*dies*

Quote of the day. You rock.

stitchwitch
11-03-2006, 01:55 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard:

gardenmommy
11-03-2006, 01:57 PM
And those colors are yuuukkkkk. I've seen more interesting color combinations when changing diapers!

Jan in CA
11-03-2006, 02:23 PM
And those colors are yuuukkkkk. I've seen more interesting color combinations when changing diapers!

:shock: :roflhard: :roflhard:

They must be getting their cashmere off of unicorns to price it that high!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Definitely quotes of the day! :notworthy:
http://bestsmileys.com/numbers/1.gif

Stiney
11-03-2006, 02:24 PM

How about a pair of soakers in those color comibinations?

Would haven't to worry about dirtying them up! :rofl:

nikic
11-03-2006, 02:42 PM
I'd pay that much for something very special, but not for Lion Brand. I'd pick another brand.

nadja la claire
11-03-2006, 03:20 PM
THEY MUST BE JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: $35 FOR 100 yds :eyes: :thud: ACMoore does have Lion Brand yarns at pretty good discounts but still you'd probably end up paying $30 a hank for the cashmere and I didn't even look at the other yarns. I'll stick to Knit Picks thank you very much.

Nadja xxx

Chel
11-03-2006, 03:43 PM
From the Lion Website:
This 5-ply hand-painted 100% cashmere yarn is the ultimate luxury. It is a sensuously soft worsted-weight yarn that knits up so quickly on size 8 needles that it seems to knit itself.

That explains the price! It has microscopic knitting machines woven into the yarn that actually knit it for you!!!!! Worth every penny! :oo:

Chel
11-03-2006, 03:46 PM
From the Lion Website:
This 5-ply hand-painted 100% cashmere yarn is the ultimate luxury. It is a sensuously soft worsted-weight yarn that knits up so quickly on size 8 needles that it seems to knit itself.

That explains the price! It has microscopic knitting machines woven into the yarn that actually knit it for you!!!!! Worth every penny! :oo:

lindakh
11-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that found the prices outrageous. Funny, before I clicked on the links I thought "how nice that Lion is going to make some inexpensive "luxury" yarns". Guess I was wrong.

brendajos
11-03-2006, 04:52 PM
lol yup i was expecting maybe $15... :teehee:

nadja la claire
11-03-2006, 05:54 PM
From the Lion Website:

That explains the price! It has microscopic knitting machines woven into the yarn that actually knit it for you!!!!! Worth every penny! :oo: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Thanks for pointing that out.

Nadja xxx

doyvicios
11-03-2006, 07:29 PM

That is hilarious!!!!

dustinac
11-04-2006, 09:31 AM
:thud: wow I waitied for mmmmalabrigo to go on sale lol no way I'd buy that... if I could I'd buy from my LYS not the Lion Brand :rofl:

psammeadred
11-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that found the prices outrageous. Funny, before I clicked on the links I thought "how nice that Lion is going to make some inexpensive "luxury" yarns". Guess I was wrong.

My thoughts exactly! Only yesterday, I was hoping they'd come out with some more natural fibers instead of more variations on Fun Fur. But you can get Rowan Kidsilk Haze at my LYS for $13.95 in more colors than their Serenade at $19.95!