PDA

View Full Version : Fetching Mittens?

trollgirl
11-03-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm thinking of making Fetching (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTfetching.html), but fingerless gloves are rather pointless here in Edmonton, where it's already below freezing. I really do love the cables on the knuckles though, and I'm thinking about making a flip-top mitten by modifying the basic pattern. If I pick up stitches just above the thumb and across the four fingers, working in 4x1 rib, will it blend fairly seamlessly into the existing rib pattern? I know it won't sit completely flat, I just want it to blend in a little. I think straight stockingnette would probably look really weird.

What do you guys think?

- tam

doyvicios
11-03-2006, 01:43 PM
I think that is an excellent idea, the flip top. I just downloaded the pattern myself and am buying the yarn today. that is a good idea. but you wouldn't you actually have to also have like a loop to hold that piece back? maybe you should just follow the same pattern as the glove and incorporate a row of cables close to the end of the flip top.

knitqueen
11-03-2006, 01:45 PM
What about just making it into a regular mitten???

trollgirl
11-03-2006, 02:06 PM
I thought about making a regular mitten, which would be much simpler, but I like the idea of a flip top because it's easier to dig around in my pockets for my bus pass and things like that when I can feel things with my fingers. Also makes manipulating the Ipod much easier. For some reason the touch-wheel thinggie doesn't respond to gloved hands.

And I did make a flip top mitten following another pattern sometime this week, and I really enjoyed making it for some reason. I really hated the yarn I was using (Homespun, acrylic, from a frogged poncho that I made and never wore) so I'm kinda itching to make another mitten like that, just cooler.

brendajos
11-03-2006, 02:19 PM
I think that is an excellent idea, the flip top. I just downloaded the pattern myself and am buying the yarn today. that is a good idea. but you wouldn't you actually have to also have like a loop to hold that piece back? maybe you should just follow the same pattern as the glove and incorporate a row of cables close to the end of the flip top.

actually my favorite pair of mittens ever was a pair of convertible mittens like that. Mine didn't have the loop they just flopped and honestly, i delighted in their floppyness! People were so jealous of my very cool mittens.

when they started fading i decided it was a good time to start knitting. i haven't made any yet but i think i may incorporate a flopper in my next pair of knucks! BUT i may incorporate some cool buttons in them just cuz i love buttons......lol....but they will probably still be left to flop! ;)

knitqueen
11-03-2006, 02:19 PM
That makes total sense. Maybe this pattern (http://magknits.com/Sept05/patterns/urban.htm) could give you some hints as to how best to construct flip-top mittens.

craftymom
11-03-2006, 09:31 PM
I made these http://www.p2designs.com/pdfs/ptn-MittConv.pdf for myself. They have an optional cable. I love the convertable mitten. I didn't add the button even though it's pretty. I just can't imagine myself fussing with it. My dd (13) loved my mittens so much, I'm making her a pair too. I had to experiment with making them quite a bit smaller though. I do like a thicker mitten so I lined them with fleece and they are wonderful.

knitwit2
11-06-2006, 05:43 PM
What a great idea to make mittens out of the fetching pattern. I really would like to knit regular mittens instead of convertible mittens. How would I go about knitting the top of the mittens? When would I have to start decreasing? Would I knit until the fetching pattern ends and start my decrease there? :??