PDA

View Full Version : That 'classic' knit look?

Mom2Rebecca
11-03-2006, 09:23 PM
So I am working on a washcloth and didnt realize what it would look like if I did 100% knit stitch. While I think it is cute, I am looking for that "classic" knit look. KWIM? What combination of stitiches do I need to do to get that look?
TIA
Jessica

doyvicios
11-03-2006, 09:34 PM
ok, so I am not a pro knitter but there is this one stitch that I am doing for a scraf that would look really nice as a dishcloth, it goes like this.

Knit 1, slip the next stitch but, you put the yarn in front slip the stitch move the yarn back and knit the next. So you would do this over every other stitch,

knit 1 slip 1 with the yarn in front and knit the next. Then for the WS you would Purl 1 slip the next stitch but, you put the yarn in back.

I'm sure an expereince knitter could tell you what the name of that stitch is, in the book it's called a woven knit.

misstialouise
11-03-2006, 10:04 PM
You're probably thinking of stockingette stitch.

Which is knit one side, and purl the other..

Mom2Rebecca
11-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks, after looking at a ton more patterns and pics I think knit one row, purl the next is what I want.
Thanks for the suggestion of the other pretty stitch Doyvicios!
Jessica

Ingrid
11-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Remember, though, that plain stockinette stitch curls when what you're knitting is just stockinette. If you want to do a washcloth or scarf with it, you need to add a border--either knitting the first and last five stitches of every row, or doing a seed stitch edging on those stitches.

Mom2Rebecca
11-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Thank you so much for the tip Ingrid!!
Jessica