PDA

View Full Version : Scrunchable scarf with MMMMMMalabrigo

rosefields
11-04-2006, 12:00 PM
Hi! I hope you all aren't sick of the MMMMMMalabrigo :heart: scrunchable questions! But I have a few..

what size needle should I use if I want to make the scarf with one skein?
ALso, probably a silly question, :oops: but if I use circular needles, do I just keep knitting and knitting in the pattern without turning in over? What length circulars would you recommend?

I will be using the Indigo colorway.

Thanks!

Lisa

knitqueen
11-04-2006, 12:09 PM
I don't know about needle size - I've not had the privilege of using the yarn :pout: . I think it more has to do with how many stitches you cast on than what needle size you use.

As to knitting with a circ. For this project you will use it just as you would use straight needles. You will not join in the round, therefore you will still have to turn your work around after every row. In order NOT to join in the round, start off with your cast on stitches closest to the needle tip that you are going to hold in your left hand, with the stitch that has the working yarn closest to the needle tip itself. The stitch with the working yarn will then be the first stitch that you knit. When you get to the end of that row, you will turn your work around so that it is again in your left hand, pick up the other needle end and work row 2, etc.

Petals
11-04-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm working on a scrunchable scarf now in malabrigo. I cast on 32 (30 + 2 for edges) on size 8 needles. I have 43"L X 5"W from one skein. I was hoping to get by with one skein but have decided I would like it to be longer. In order to get a longer scarf from one skein I should have either cast on fewer sts or maybe knit with larger needles. But, I am happy with the way it looks. Hope this helps some.

knitqueen
11-04-2006, 09:00 PM
I think that casting on less would make more difference than using larger needles. Using larger needles does make larger stitches, but each stitch uses more yarn so I don't know if you'd come out ahead or not.

Petals
11-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Yeah, knitqueen, your right it does use more yarn. Thought of that afterwards! Thanks!

Amber
11-05-2006, 12:29 AM
I knit a scrunchable out of one hank of Malabrigo. I used size 9 needles and cast on 20 stitches. The scarf ended up being a little over 3 inches wide and 72 inches long. HTH!

trollgirl
11-05-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm knitting a scrunchable in malabrigo right now. It's on size 7 needles with 23 stitches cast on. It's about 3.5 inches wide, and the fabric's turning out very thick and soft, which is what I wanted.

Though about 6 inches into the scarf I considered frogging it and making mittens instead because it kept my hands so warm and felt so soft.

rosefields
11-05-2006, 10:45 PM
:muah: Thanks for all the input!

I have decided to use size 9 and cast on 20 stitches...I like a longer scarf.

I will keep you all posted as to the results!

Thanks again! :blooby: