PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on best DPNs

tomai
11-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi!

I am a bit new at knitting still and I finally made 1 pair of socks and it was so fun! :D but unfortunately i think i knit on the tight side and I really worked my DPNs to death on just 1 pair of socks :( I used those colored metalic Boye brand ones and now the ends of each point have been so worn down that when I knit it doesnt feel smooth, it feels like I'm knitting with 2 rusted pieces of metals because of the rough texture on the ends. :oops: Are they savable?

Does anyone have any DPN needles they use that they love and can recommend? :)

Thank you!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-04-2006, 03:36 PM
I love my brittneys!!!!

Nikki
11-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Sorry Hildy, but BB are at the bottom of my list. :shrug: I love KPs DPNs and Inox of course. I've been knitting the husband guy a pair of socks with worsted weight Mt. Colors and I'm using the Lantern Moon DPNs I recieved as a gift. Not too shabby.

misstialouise
11-04-2006, 04:01 PM
I like my bamboo DPN's.. I have some casein DPN's that I've yet to try...

tomai
11-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Wow thanks for all the recommendations! :) It seems like its better to use bamboo and wooden ones rather than metal ones! I just bought the Knitpicks circular needle and case set but I have yet to learn how to make socks on those yet (they seem more difficult because im used to the calculations on 3 needles and not 2) so for now ill stick to DPNs lol

KellyK
11-04-2006, 06:02 PM
My faves are Crystal Palace bamboos. They are REALLY smooth.

Folks tend to knit tighter on metal DPNs because they are slippier. Bamboo holds on to your yarn a bit better and there's no need to knit so tightly.

Good luck!

mwedzi
11-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Crystal Palace are my favorites, too. Very smooth but still with a decent point. But I also like Brittany (a lot of drag, but I don't mind) and KnitPicks' needles (super slick and super pointy), too. Inox, though, I really don't like. They feel heavy to me and can't give me the warmth or lightness of wooden needles nor the slickness of KP's needles, and I really just don't like their coating.

Cristy
11-05-2006, 08:18 PM
I love Brittanys and I've heard good things about Inox too....I hate metal ones but love metal for all of my other knitting. I use my Brittanys for socks--I even use my short ones in place of cable needles for cables!

cgd
11-05-2006, 09:04 PM
I have Clover bamboo DPNs, circulars, and some straights, and I'm very pleased with them.

Shandeh
11-06-2006, 03:19 AM
I can knit with all kinds of dpns.

I actually prefer metal dpns, because I'm a tight knitter. I feel more secure with them. I'm afraid I'll break the bamboo needles, especially the really thin ones!

cheesiesmom
11-06-2006, 10:23 AM
I love my brittaneys. The company replaces broken ones FREE! Nothing better than free. I did purchase 1, 2, and 3 sets f Options dpns and I do love the points especially if I'm working a lacy pattern calling for k2tog type of stitches. They are good for picking up those really tight stitches on socks. But I have to cast on with wood 'cause the metal ones just slip out. A couple of rounds on the wood then switch to metal. I have bamboo circs but am not crazy about the points so I assume that bamboo dpns would have the same problem.

moon
11-06-2006, 11:00 AM
I like bamboo, but I have not tried the Knitpicks DPN's.

I've found bamboo to be different. I did not like Fiddlesticks. Too pointy. I filed them down with a nail file and they are better.

Clover work really well for me. There is also a LYS that sells birch ones made by a local craftsman. Those are nice.

I would like to try some Ebony Lantern Moon's for socks. That would be a nice treat.

The new ones by Blue Sky Alpaca's are said to be terrible. They actually said they are only meant for a few projects! I read the review on KnittersReview.com and was horrified. They are $28.00 for one pair, and only last through a couple projects before they start breaking down.

Pink Dandelion
11-06-2006, 11:08 AM
I mostly use bamboo or wood, Clover or Brittanys are nice choices if you don't want to spend a ton on something fancy like Lantern Moon ebony. But if you're a really tight knitter you might like the knitpicks options, though I don't usually suggest those for beginners because they're really slick. The only reason I don't use them more is because the sharp metal needles in the car bother me, and that's where I do a lot of my knitting.

MrTea
11-06-2006, 11:47 AM
I find that being as bamboo is generally harder than wood and therefore the needles tend to be more durable. I've noticed wood needles can sometimes aquire little dents, this does not seem to happen with bamboo.

Crystal Palace is about the best i've tried. Clovers are decent and will get the job done, but the finish is kind of rough. The Crystal Palace DPNs are super smooth and a pleasure to work with. Well worth the extra $2 over the clovers. Night and day difference.

I've never tried metal DPNs, but it seems like if you are ruining them after only one project, you must be knitting WAY TOO TIGHT. Loosen your gauge and you will notice your needles will last longer; you will be able to knit faster and your hands and back won't ache so bad. Just relax.

tomai
11-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks for everyones tips and recommendations! :) I have made a list and its time for me to save up for them now! :D

I tried letting loose and relaxing lol and when I dont knit as tightly my knuckles dont seem to hurt so much! I guess I'm worried that my stitches might slip off the needles. heehee

Where a reliable source that I can Crystal Palace or Britneys knitting needles from?

Thank you everyone! :) :muah:

cheesiesmom
11-06-2006, 05:44 PM
I bought my brittneys from my LYS.

MrTea
11-06-2006, 05:48 PM
I tried letting loose and relaxing lol and when I dont knit as tightly my knuckles dont seem to hurt so much! I guess I'm worried that my stitches might slip off the needles. heehee

I think everyone here will agree that knitting too tight is by far the most common mistake new knitters make. Pretty much everyone who first learns to knit, knits too tight. Don't worry, you are not alone and it's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Don't worry so much about dropping stitches. A dropped stitch can be easily fixed once you learn how. If you stop by your LYS they will probably be happy to give you a few pointers for free. Once you are armed with that knowledge you won't have anything to fear. (FYI: Another important thing to learn, along the same lines, is how to spot a twisted stitch.)

Everyone, even the most experienced knitters drop stitches from time to time. The mark of a true crafts(wo)man is not that they are perfect and never make mistakes. A true crafts(wo)man is one who knows how to fix their mistakes.

Your knitting technique should be a fluid and constant motion of the hands. If you have to force anything it's a sign that you are knitting too tight. And if at the end your needles look like chewed up pencils, then you are really knitting too tight. :wink:

Where a reliable source that I can Crystal Palace or Britneys knitting needles from?

Try your LYS first, as it is very important to support local business. Eventually you will need that LYS and if no one ever buys anything there they will be gone when you really need them. If you can't find them at an LYS (these are very popular brands so they probably will) or you live in a rural aria and have no LYS, then try ordering them online.