PDA

View Full Version : New puppy needs a name!

JGM
11-05-2006, 11:48 AM
This is our new puppy. We got her about a week ago and have yet to name her. Nothing seems to fit. We think she might be some combo of border collie, lab, spaniel and/or some arctic dog like a samoyed or american eskimo dog. Can you think of any good names? We have another dog named Lola, so we're trying to stay away from anything that sounds too close to that so they don't get confused. Unfortunately we've been through what seems like every name in the book and nothing seems to fit.

rebecca
11-05-2006, 12:05 PM
OMGoodness, what a precious pup!
I'm not the pet namer in the family, our namers are Lonnie and Shannon, sorry.
We are in the same boat with a new bird, trying on a few names but just the right one hasn't come about.

brendajos
11-05-2006, 12:16 PM
ooooooh look at that little snookums! don't invite me over or she will be called "Brenda's New Puppy!"

How about Sadie?

janelanespaintbrush
11-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Cuuuuuute! I'm not very good at names, but the first thing that came to my mind was "pudding cup." :teehee: I'm not sure why. Maybe because she looks so sweet. :heart:

ekgheiy
11-05-2006, 01:04 PM
How about ...

Rorschach
Nabisco
C-Sharp

Or you could go with something knitty like ..

Stitches
Yarn Over
Fair Isle (I like this one because of the pattern on her nose and little feet.)

nadja la claire
11-05-2006, 01:07 PM
What a sweet little baby. I love her little mask. We like to give our furry housemates proper names. Our last dog was named Marie because we adopted her on Bastille Day. Our current dog is name Diamond Lil (Lily or just Lil) because she has a little white diamond on her back. You could google dog names.

Nadja xxx

suecq
11-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Such a cute little girl. How about Zora (feminized Zoro)?

Jan in CA
11-05-2006, 01:19 PM
What an adorable puppy! I don't know her personality and I tend to try and name them things based on that.

Does she skip/hop - Skippy
Does she doddle - Poky
She's wearing a mask - Rocky or Rock

If you are like KellyK and prefer animals to have people names..
Daisy
Penelope (Penny?)

susi
11-05-2006, 01:23 PM
oh, thats so adorable. were not great at names as we have had soooo many animals. heres a few we have used on our lot

Horses
Ginger (horse, had the name Daisy before that didn't suit her, being a horse)
Maddi
Ruuey

dogs
Lolly
Toby
Harry
we have had
Phoebe
Charlie
Fee fee

cats:
holly
lister
frodo (also known as fluffy)
dexter
bella
millie
and the latest of last night is Zo

chinchilla's
Ferdie
Rosie
old names
Frisby
Felix

parrots:
Hui
Lui

think thats it. but they may give you so ideas

susi

DragonTush
11-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Oreo
Biscuit
Emma
Belle

KellyK
11-05-2006, 03:11 PM
She's a RUBY if Ive ever seen one!!!!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

brendajos
11-05-2006, 03:38 PM
oooooooooooooh Ruby!!! yes yes! Definitely a Ruby!

Lola and Ruby.....perrrrrrrfect!

Jan in CA
11-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Awww Ruby would be a cute name. :teehee:

Ingrid
11-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I vote for Ruby, too!!

Mulderknitter
11-05-2006, 05:25 PM
while Ruby definately is cute :eyebrow:
I did name one of my stepfather's dogs for him, it is a sheep dog, and we named her Mija (mee-ha) which is the spanish form of darling daughter. (DD?) :hug:

nadja la claire
11-05-2006, 05:27 PM
I like Belle, but Ruby is nice to. How about Rosy? I also like Natasha.

Nadja xxx

Deeknit
11-05-2006, 05:35 PM
How bout Lita. Lola and Lita.

Deeknit

mwedzi
11-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Such a cute little girl. How about Zora (feminized Zoro)?

Ooh, Zora is a cute name. Ruby is cute, too. Zora-Ruby? Zoraby? Rubizor? GL-5k798? Optimus Prime? Maybe I can think of a Zulu name with a click in it. There was a girl in my second homestay whose name was Minenhle (no click). Such a pretty name. I'm only sure about the root, "-hle" for "pretty", though I'm thinking the beginning part is from "imini", day, so "beautiful day". Or I know a couple of Korean girl's names I like, like "Isul" which means "dew" or "dalnim" which is the honorific form for addressing the moon. I so want to be named "ms. moon!" (btw, my handle, "mwedzi", is moon in Shona).

She is a cutie pie, though. I wanna snorgle her!

aineepooh1
11-05-2006, 10:07 PM
what about Georgia?? :?? :heart:

KellyK
11-05-2006, 11:06 PM
snorgle.. :teehee:

psammeadred
11-05-2006, 11:28 PM
She definitely looks like a Ruby to me!

but if you're still looking for other names...
Annie
Elanor (Ellie)
Zara
Athena
Ava

Lisa Kay
11-06-2006, 03:01 AM
What an absolute sweetheart! :heart: Oh, that cute little face!

Ruby would be a good choice. I also like:
Bailey
Maggie
Sophie

Back when we got our cat, we ended up at a bookstore looking through baby name books before we finally were able to pick a name. :teehee:

Shandeh
11-06-2006, 03:10 AM
When I first looked at the puppy, I thought of the name Buffy.

Chel
11-06-2006, 07:26 AM
I like Roxie or Roxy.

Why don't you try a few of the names on her and see which one her little ears perk up to. Maybe she knows her name already even if you don't!!! :)

dustinac
11-06-2006, 08:15 AM
aww she is so cute :teehee:

brendajos I was thinking the same thing only Dustina's new puppy...

I like Belle and Ruby

I'm a bad pet namer the family always says don't let her name the pets... I think I did pretty good on my cat Gideon Gus but my family doesn't think so :oops: :rofl:

Nikki
11-06-2006, 08:58 AM
She looks like a Sophie to me. She's going to be a "Sophia, stop that!" some of the time by the look on her face in that last photo. :teehee: She's adorable.

feministmama
11-06-2006, 09:44 AM
My vote is for Zora. That little mask on her face is soooooo cute. She totally melted me into a little puddle of mush. :heart:

janelanespaintbrush
11-06-2006, 10:11 AM
I thought of another one... how about Scout? (Yes, like the girl in To Kill a Mockingbird.) It's a strong, solid name, with a hint of adventure in it, I think. (If she had pups, they could be brownies! :teehee:)

knewbie
11-06-2006, 11:05 AM
I like the name Susy: she looks like a Susy.

I have a dog named Belle: It sounds great but its a hard name to call. With that breed mix, you'll need a name that's easy to holler!

:teehee:

Ruby would be a good name though: Roooooooo beeeeeeee .... Rooooobeeee ... come here!

It also makes RoobyRoo for a cuddle name.

Good luck with the pup: the best dog I ever had was a Border Collie mix.

KellyK
11-06-2006, 11:38 AM
She looks like a Sophie to me.

This is what a Sophie looks like...

(Sophie is my sweet girl...)

Stiney
11-06-2006, 11:43 AM
I love her expression in those photos. "What are YOU lookin' at?"

cocoa
11-06-2006, 03:26 PM
nice, what about yoyo?
Dee.

brendajos
11-06-2006, 03:48 PM
She looks like a Sophie to me.

This is what a Sophie looks like...

(Sophie is my sweet girl...)

Oh Kelly....your poor sweet dogs having to put up with all the other animal kids in the neighborhood making fun of the clothes you dress them in. :verysad:

(my mother's dog gets made fun of by the animal kids because she keeps insisting on shaving him....*sigh* )

:teehee:

Kaydee
11-06-2006, 05:44 PM
I like Roxy, Sophie, and Abby. Here's (http://petrix.com/dognames/) a site that might help and give you some ideas. BTW, she's such a cutie!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-06-2006, 05:47 PM
What about Toni?

(Cuz Tony always tended bar while Lola tried to be a star....) :teehee:

brendajos
11-06-2006, 05:59 PM
lol at my part time gig we break out in songs of Lola all the time...nobody really remembers how it started.

Hildi could be a cute name for the puppy too....OOOH and then she could be the KH co-mascot with Howie..... :teehee:

GramiH
11-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Hello:

I'm new to this forun and I wanted to tell you that our puppy is a Daschund named Demi Flame Gabriela "Gabi" for short. She likes to talk a lot.

Your new puppy looks like Bridgid. Very unusual and cute.

GramiH

Jackie M.
11-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Maggie

JGM
11-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Wow! Such a response! I think we're going to go with Ruby. It was a name my wife had suggested before and it's grown on me. I think we just needed some encouragement that we had picked a good one and we got it!

Lola is such a perfect name that we were putting a lot of pressure on ourselves to come up with another one. I think Ruby will fit perfectly. Thank you to everyone for all your wonderful suggestions.

KellyK
11-06-2006, 09:41 PM
I think we're going to go with Ruby.

:cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :cheering:
:happydance: :woohoo: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :cheering: :happydance:
:woohoo: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :cheering: :happydance:

Im GOOD, I tell ya!! 8-)

yeah_im_crazy
11-07-2006, 12:23 AM
ooooo ruby is nice. i was thinking "pepper" when i first saw her picture tho, cause of all her grayish speckly spots. my dogs name is brandi. just wanted to let you know.

cocoa
11-07-2006, 10:31 AM
That's my aunts name and loves to knit.
Dee:)