PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean when you run out of yarn early?

ann in ma
11-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Besides the fact that I'm in trouble, of course ...

I'm taking a knitting class to make a sweater -- actually the Instant Jacket pattern from I'd Rather Be Knitting (couldn't find it online). It uses bulky yarn; I shopped with my instructor, so we could get the right yarn; I bought an extra skein of each (Lambs Pride and Berocco mohair (Memoir) despite my instructor saying that I wouldn't need it.

So I did a gauge swatch, and ended up going up one needle size from the patterns -- and I just ran out of the Mohair with 10 rows to go on the last sleeve!! I have enough of the Lamb's Pride - at least 1/2 skein.

I bought all they had at the store, and it's 1 hour + away from me, so I need to call around today and see if I can find it elsewhere.

But I wonder ... what does this say about my knitting? If I am getting gauge, would the move to one needle up have caused me to run short? Is it possible that the yarn is not labeled with the correct yardage?

I really hope I can find another skein of this yarn -- I'm supposed to have the sleeves done and bound off for class on Wednesday so that I can sew up the pieces.

brendajos
11-05-2006, 12:18 PM
my guess that at least one of the skeins of mohair were short. it happens unfortunately....but coming that close that would be my guess.

knitqueen
11-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Could be what Brenda said. Sometimes if you are a really tight knitter, you could run out of yarn sooner than you're supposed to, but if you only had to go up one needle size to get gauge I'm fairly certain it's not because of that.

I hope you find some, somewhere. :heart: Let us know if we can help.

Ingrid
11-05-2006, 12:43 PM
I've knitted with two skeins at once of the identical yarn and have finished one skein before the other. All I can think is that either one was too short or one was too long.

ann in ma
11-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks! Glad to know it's probably not me ....

ann in ma
11-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Woo hoo! Found the yarn I needed at an LYS that is not too far away ... off to finish my sweater!

Ingrid
11-05-2006, 05:37 PM
:cheering: What a relief!!

Stiney
11-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Yay!

And good for you, not listening to your instructor and buying extra! I always buy extra.

Lieke
11-06-2006, 03:51 AM
I always buy extra, because a) I'm a tight knitter and b) I have to make my sleeves 10 cm longer than the pattern says, they are always to short on the pattern. I've noticed that my tight knitting makes me need some extra yarn, but never more than a whole skein. I usually have some left-overs, but most of the time, I can return it. (when the skein isn't used of course)