PDA

View Full Version : Is This True?

jdee
11-05-2006, 12:34 PM
My husband and I were in Chattanooga, Tn, on vacation last week. While we were there, I wanted to hit a couple of yarn shops. I made the comment that one of the wools felt stiff, and scratchy to me, and the lady there, told me that most of them will soften up some as they are used. I'd never heard this before. Is it true?

Ingrid
11-05-2006, 12:41 PM
I think they do soften up some after knitting, washing and wearing, but they don't get super soft. The Fair Isle yarn I use feels nicer on the sweater than on the skein, but I still don't think I'd want it on my skin. :shrug:

Julie
11-05-2006, 01:55 PM
That's another reason to swatch and wash your swatch before you start a project! I bought a hemp blend and wasn't sure that I would want it next to my skin, but after I washed the swatch it was wonderfully soft.

Wool varies a lot...I was hoping that the Bartlett fisherman's wool that I bought for a sweater would soften up, but it didn't. I still used it for my cardigan, but it's on the itchy side, even with a shirt between the sweater and my skin. :-x

jdee
11-05-2006, 11:46 PM
That is so cool. I had always used blends, and acrylics, because I didn't like the feel of 100 % wool. The only kind I'd ever found to be soft is cascade 200. I always wondered why people spent more for real wool, when it's so rough and itchy. I didn't know that it would soften up. Wow! I learn something all the time.

Shandeh
11-06-2006, 03:17 AM
You can soak the sweater in water with a gentle hair conditioner, and it will soften up some. Just don't put it in the dryer. Let it air-dry.

(Wool is just hair, after all.)