PDA

View Full Version : DPNs & Other Domestic Disturbances...

Limey
11-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Now that I’ve reached the heady heights of hat-knitting (ouch, - sorry), I’ve been trying to get a grip of those javelins for the vertically-challenged, known by some incurable optimists as DPNs.

The only metal I know of that can travel that far and that fast is a bullet. No sooner had I scooped the stitches back on the three-legged beast (couldn’t get the fourth needle to come out and play at all), than it spun round and headed for the hubby with the deadly accuracy of a heat-seeking missile. (He’ll be okay, thanks – it was mainly the shock to his nervous system that upset him a bit.)

Anyway, onwards and upwards and keep trying – well, that lasted all of five minutes – I mean, it’s one thing to endanger the hubby’s life and limbs but it’s another when Hatty Cat almost got harpooned snoozing on the hearth-rug.

I popped the pesky things into a cupboard – hoping to get them out later when things had settled down a bit - but does anyone know how to un-nail a cupboard door?

Yours with a tin hat,

Limey

For anybody else rash enough to try their luck with these lethalities – popping children’s plastic beads on the ends of them makes them slightly less anti-social and helps the stitches stay in place.

:whistle:

janelanespaintbrush
11-05-2006, 03:20 PM
That was seriously one of the reasons I went the magic loop route in place of DPNs -- fewer pointy things about the house. :rofl:

KellyK
11-05-2006, 03:41 PM
:roflhard:

Bamboo DPNs are slightly less endangering of one's family and pets...

humblestumble
11-05-2006, 03:50 PM
:roflhard: :hug:

That's why I usually only use metal dpns when I'm knitting yarn which is rough and needs to glide easily on the needles. I do agree with Kelly - bamboo! But alas, I have none as of yet. I use Balene plastic Dpns usually.

newamy
11-05-2006, 03:52 PM
I've not tried metal double points, I use the bamboo ones. One evening I couldn't find one. I looked and looked. I looked around in all the locations where I had done my knitting. Then I shrugged and went o bed. The next day I looked some more. That evening I found it! Ithad poked itself into in a pillow with one end sticking out and had probably been there all night and we are very lucky that no one had gotten poked in the eye or something in the night. Crazy, huh?

ecb
11-05-2006, 04:02 PM
I enjoy Metal DPN a sligh bit less than those clear plastic needles by Susan something
the plastic ones that actually Stick to the yarn
frustrating
I like the bamboo cheep ones in LONG, then i cut in half and have one end round tipped, and one end pointy
but then again i am an odd duck

ecb

Jan in CA
11-05-2006, 04:15 PM
:teehee: Love the humor in your post!

When I first started I could NOT get the hang of the metal DPNs I had at the time. I decided to try magic loop and two circs and that worked fine. I felt like it was slower though because I had to keep adjusting the needles/stitches. Soooo awhile back I bought some bamboo DPNs and gave it another try and wow what a difference. The needles don't fall out of the stitches anymore! Now I'm even starting projects like tiny hats or socks on DPNs! Woooo! You can do it! :cheering:

Amber
11-05-2006, 04:52 PM
:roflhard:

I agree -- bamboo is much less lethal!

Quiara
11-05-2006, 04:56 PM
I've never had a problem with DPNs. Nope. Not one. I get my jollies from armwrestling the steel porcupined monsters. ^_~

Seriously, I prefer magic loop or 2 circs at all costs. I've never found DPNs to be lethal, per se, just ill advised for those who have the slightest impairment -- such as mortality or permeable flesh.

nadja la claire
11-05-2006, 05:54 PM
I like the bamboos too. I have a set of metal ones but I never use them.

Nadja xxx

rebecca
11-05-2006, 06:55 PM
:roflhard: :rofl:
Most often, the dpns that I have out are the tiny, sharp socknitting dpns...let's just say that Sally, my mini doxie no longer jumps in my lap when I'm knitting socks on dpns....OUCH!

GennyLynn1962
11-05-2006, 09:36 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

That is soooo funny, I laughed until I cried, because I can picture it.

I haven't even tried dpns yet, but I can see I will need to pad the house. :rofl:

aineepooh1
11-06-2006, 02:29 AM
That is too FRIGGIN" hilarious!!! :roflhard: :roflhard:
except for your husband and the cat!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Shandeh
11-06-2006, 03:07 AM
I love ALL KINDS of dpns. Metal, plastic, bamboo. I have never had a problem with ANY of them. :)

Pink Dandelion
11-06-2006, 07:55 AM
I stepped on a size 0 DPN once and it drew blood, :oo: I didn't step hard either, infact I only sorta scuffed my foot across it heading back to my chair to knit... I'm just glad it was my own foot, I would have felt horrible if it had been someone else...

I would really really suggest bamboo or wood if you've just started DPN-ing. Way less slippery and not so, um... lethal...

Nikki
11-06-2006, 08:50 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Thanks Limey, I so needed a good laugh this morning.

Last night I was working on the Wonderful Wallaby and needed size 9 DPNs. Of course I didn't have them so I had to learn the Magic Loop method. It worked but I'll never give up my love of DPNs and my favorites are the slick, pointy metal ones-KPs or Inox. Who would have ever thought I'd be doing something dangerous at my age?

HamburgKnitter
11-06-2006, 08:55 AM
:roflhard: :cheering:

I had my second DPN attempt this weekend. I spent two hours wrestling with them to get the first row done, then got the hat done in another two hours. Once I got the hang of them it was easy! :cheering: I used metal ones, by the way. :teehee: Does this mean it'll get easier when I move on to my first attempt at socks? I already have wooden DPNs for those waiting.....

Shandeh
11-06-2006, 07:35 PM
GO GO GO! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

Mulderknitter
11-06-2006, 09:37 PM
ahhhh, i have to say that circs to me were dangerous enough, you have all now scared me into dpn hiding. :heart: i bought a set with the intention of a hat, got scared, and put them in a safe non explosion safe needle case. but now i open the case and look at the dpn's imagining their distruction...are socks worth losing an eye? :shrug: