PDA

View Full Version : suggestion needed for economical chunky baby yarn

EmD, MD
11-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Hi, I'm new here, great site.

Someone has asked me to knit a baby ensemble including blanket, sweater, leggings, booties, hat and mittens, requiring about 1500 yards of yarn, needle size 10, gauge 14-15 st per 4".

I am a slight yarn snob (if I had my way I would make this ensemble in super chunky cashmerino :oops: ). I don't want to compromise on quality but I don't want this lady to have to spend $100 on yarn.

Has anyone used the Lion Brand baby Homespun? It's the right color and gauge...I just don't want it to turn out like crap or fall apart in the washer.

Anyone....?

Ingrid
11-05-2006, 04:32 PM
I haven't used the baby Homespun. If it's like the regular Homespun then put on your sneakers and run as fast as you can in the other direction. But then again that's just my humble opinion. :teehee:

I'd suggest Encore Chunky (http://yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=331) or the colorspun variety (http://yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=332).

But what's wrong with spending $100 on a complete ensemble like that? It's certainly worth it. :shrug:

suzeeq
11-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Bernat has a Softee Chunky and I think Baby Chunky yarn... bernat.com. You really want baby clothes to be washable; they're getting drooled or spit up on all the time.

sue

EmD, MD
11-05-2006, 05:21 PM
But what's wrong with spending $100 on a complete ensemble like that? It's certainly worth it. :shrug:

Nothing...I'm just afraid she can't really afford it and I don't want to hardsell her, you know?

Ingrid
11-05-2006, 05:39 PM
I see. It's very easy for me to spend other people's money. :teehee:

rebecca
11-05-2006, 06:57 PM
I see. It's very easy for me to spend other people's money. :teehee:

LOL, I agree with Ingy :wink:

I also agree with the Chunky Encore as your best bet :happydance:

losnana
11-05-2006, 07:46 PM
What Ingrid said. I'm finishing a sweater for a DGD out of the regular Homespun. I didn't know yarn could fray so fast!!! I've had to tie a knot in every end after weaving them in to keep the whole thing from unraveling. Never again. Lion Brand should be ashamed for putting such a thing on the market. :!!!: :!!!:

EmD, MD
11-05-2006, 07:49 PM
The chunky encore IS perfect except for the fact that it's not machine washable, suzeeq is right. I need one of these merino-microfiber blends or some chenille or something.

/still at a loss

EmD, MD
11-05-2006, 07:51 PM
has anyone used Lamb's Pride superwash? Is it soft enough for a baby?

Ingrid
11-05-2006, 07:55 PM
The chunky encore IS perfect except for the fact that it's not machine washable, suzeeq is right. I need one of these merino-microfiber blends or some chenille or something.

/still at a loss

Encore is machine washable and dryable. I've used the worsted and dk for sweaters and they wash and dry beautifully.

EmD, MD
11-05-2006, 08:00 PM
okay, is it soft?

Eloewien
11-05-2006, 08:01 PM
It's pretty much the same as standard homespun... I like it.

EmD, MD
11-05-2006, 08:03 PM
OK, I think I'm going for the encore. The colors are correct.
thanks everyone

Ingrid
11-05-2006, 08:06 PM
okay, is it soft?

Yes, it is soft--even more so after a wash and dry.

aineepooh1
11-06-2006, 02:42 AM
I really like the Bernat Softee you get 3.5oz for about $2 skein and it comes in several solid colors and 2or3 varigated. It is acrylic so it's mashine washable.. if you want a mohair look go for Lion Brand Jiffy yarn~~3.5oz/ $2 skein.. good deal if you want something flexible.
also Hobby Lobby has their brand called Yarn Bee.. they have several chunky acrylic yarns for baby. some are boucle, varigeated and other patterns.. might take a look and see..
I like the Bernat best if I just want a simple, smooth yarn not fuzzzy like a mohair

hope this helps some!! :cheering: :cheering:

mwedzi
11-06-2006, 09:01 AM
I like the Bernat Softee Chunky, too. I haven't tried the Plymouth Encore Chunky, but I have knit a swatch in the regular Encore. It's okay, too, though I like the ply of the Softee Chunky better, and it's even cheaper! Just don't knit it on plastic needles or the squeaking might get to you. But I haven't washed or dried either of these, so I'm not sure how they hold up. I've heard good things about the Encore, though. I bet the Softee Chunky holds up well, too.

doyvicios
11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Hi, I'm new here, great site.

Someone has asked me to knit a baby ensemble including blanket, sweater, leggings, booties, hat and mittens, requiring about 1500 yards of yarn, needle size 10, gauge 14-15 st per 4".

I am a slight yarn snob (if I had my way I would make this ensemble in super chunky cashmerino :oops: ). I don't want to compromise on quality but I don't want this lady to have to spend $100 on yarn.

Has anyone used the Lion Brand baby Homespun? It's the right color and gauge...I just don't want it to turn out like crap or fall apart in the washer.

Anyone....?

You should try knitpicks.com. they have very nice colors and very inexpensive. Just make sure you do the math with the yards per ball.

suzeeq
11-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Most of knitpick's yarns are to be hand washed; not a good choice for baby things....

sue