PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Needles Allowed in Courthouse/Jury Duty?

cgd
11-05-2006, 06:31 PM
I've been called for jury duty next week. To me this translates into some knitting time, at least if I have to sit around and wait very long. Have any of you not been allowed to take knitting needles into a courthouse? I figure aluminum is out, bamboo is iffy, but I might get lucky with plastic ones. Any experiences in this area? Thanks.

stitchwitch
11-05-2006, 06:37 PM
I'd call beforehand and ask security first. It seems likely that they would let you in with them since you can take knitting needles on a plane.
You'll have alot of time to knit, especially if you never get called. It's sooooo boring without something to do for 8 hours or more.

Sara
11-05-2006, 06:42 PM
JeepGirl did her civic duty a couple weeks ago in PA. Sorry, they didn't let her bring her knitting. :shrug: Definitely call ahead so that they don't take your project away at the security gate.

stitchwitch
11-05-2006, 07:05 PM
You know, I just googled our courthouse and it says no knitting needles due to the amount of "risky" people there. Bummer. Maybe you can bring a good knitting book.

cgd
11-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Oh, lovely! Maybe they'll allow crochet hooks?

losnana
11-05-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm an attorney, and I've tried to take mine into the courthouse. Wood or plastic is okay, but not metal. It does vary from place to place, so definitely call. Also be sure to tell them that you're a juror; that may make a difference.

cgd
11-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Unfortunately I've waited too late to call. I was very busy last week at work and forgot, so I'll just have to take my chances. Parking there involves a major hike to/from the car, so I'm going to show up early enough to have time to walk back to the car if need be.

Ingrid
11-05-2006, 09:49 PM
You know, I just googled our courthouse and it says no knitting needles due to the amount of "risky" people there. Bummer. Maybe you can bring a good knitting book.

Suuure. The let in 'risky people' but no knitting? Where are their priorities? :!!!:

aineepooh1
11-05-2006, 10:10 PM
good point Ingy!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

humblestumble
11-06-2006, 12:09 AM
This is really unfortunate for me... I have waited too long to even ask. I have jury duty tomorrow - first time! AHH!

I guess I'll bring a book? What else can you bring?

aineepooh1
11-06-2006, 02:14 AM
Take it with you anyway!! If all else fails put it back in your car during your lunch break.. or if your bag is like mine... you can read your knittingh books and study your patterns@!! :heart: :heart: If it's knittingh related . IT counts!! :cheering: :cheering:

Shandeh
11-06-2006, 03:14 AM
I went to court for a ticket that was waived.
(Expired plate that had been taken care of)

I took a knitting project with plastic needles, and had no trouble at all. They have an x-ray scanner, and they said my bag was fine.

HamburgKnitter
11-06-2006, 06:12 AM
I've wondered about whether it's possible to bring knitting needles on a plane. On Yarn Harlot's blog she showed how much knitting you could get done between Point A and Point B when she was flying around on her book tour. It really surprised me that she got on a plane with her knitting! A friend of mine had her tiny nail clippers taken away from her when she flew last time....it's really getting out of hand!

humblestumble
11-06-2006, 12:38 PM
I went to court today and the lady mentioned several items that would be taken up, including two things I own - knitting needles and a camera phone. I could've taken them today probably, but tomorrow there'd be no use. I don't have a car either, so they'd have to take them up. They give them back of course.

I read a Stephanie Pearl-McPhee book instead

nikic
11-06-2006, 01:11 PM
I know someone who's taken full sized lighters on a plane, multiple times.
So much for security. :roflhard:

cgd
11-06-2006, 06:12 PM
I opted for plastic crochet hooks, which were no problem getting in. I crocheted happily while waiting for the judge to come in and waiting after lunch. But they made everyone put their hobbies away while the folks came up to the bench if they were trying to get excused, which took over an hour :doh: so we just had to sit there and do nothing. Arrgh!

Quiara
11-06-2006, 06:18 PM
I've had to go to court for a traffic ticket before and for "traffic school" to keep one ticket from going on my record. I took my knitting both times, no problem. Made traffic school much more palatable. Didn't really learn anything, but I got most of a sock done! ^_^

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-06-2006, 07:35 PM
I would think that a juror knitting during a trial would be a no-no, right?

Ingrid
11-06-2006, 09:55 PM
I would think that a juror knitting during a trial would be a no-no, right?

:rofl: :rofl: Especially if you told them to stop talking for a minute while you counted. :teehee:

cgd
11-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Y'all are so crazy! :rofl: It would just like one of us to interrupt a trial so we could count. I can see it now: "I'm out of order? YOU'RE out of order! The whole system is out of order! You made me lose my stitch count!" Al Pacino would be in there somewhere I guess . . .

No, I was only going to knit or crochet while waiting, not if I got picked for a trial. Yeah, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :teehee:

stitchwitch
11-08-2006, 03:43 PM
:teehee: I seem to get picked for jury duty every year. Last year I was seated on a jury for a child molester and our jury box was right next to the witness chair. I had the unfortunate chance of getting the first chair in the front row and the thing was a hard, wooden ancient chair that needed greasing a good fifty years ago. Every time I would move it would send a loud "scrrreeeeeeeeee!" across the courtroom and the judge would glare at me. Needless to say I sat there in one position for hours.
:roflhard: