PDA

View Full Version : Won't Someone Help Me Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?!!!!

nadja la claire
11-05-2006, 06:41 PM
I posted this in the How-To page but I've gotten no responses. I've never blocked anything before and I'm coming to the end of a piece and I need to know how I should block it. It's a lace patterned scarf made in Andean Silk (55% superfine alpaka, 23% silk, 22% merino wool) Should I just pin it down and use a squirt bottle, should I use a steam iron, should I hand wash it and then pin it or should block it at all? I've heard that you should not block silk but there is also alpaka and merino in the yarn. Please, please help :pray: :help:

Nadja xxx

rebecca
11-05-2006, 06:44 PM
I've blocked projects where I used Andean Silk before, I simply squirted mine until it was quite damp and easy to shape, then pinned it and let dry overnite.
Sorry you didn't get a quicker response.

Sara
11-05-2006, 06:46 PM
I would pin it and squirt it.

Pink Dandelion
11-06-2006, 08:05 AM
When I blocked some 100% alpaca I spread out towels, and then pinned it out and then sprayed it until it was good and damp... if I had sprayed it first it might have been more plyable but it was sort of hairy alpaca and the little hairs were sticking to my hands when it was wet, so I'm glad I pinned first. In the end it came out well :mrgreen:

feministmama
11-06-2006, 09:47 AM
yeah that wool sounds too fine to submerge. I would spray bottle and pin. Would it fit on an ironing board? That's a good place to pin. I just use a towel on my kitchen table (with strategically placed chairs and stuff to keep prying kitty eyes and butts off) Good luck!

Calamintha
11-06-2006, 09:35 PM
I concur with the others, pin and spritz. The problem is not the silk but the alpaca which has a tendency to stretch if it gets really wet. Knitpicks yarns are a particular offender because their alpaca yarns are more loosely spun in my experience.

BTW, I have blocked yarns with 50% silk content with no problem. With silk you should not use water that is too warm and I wouldn't use an iron but other than that it blocks fine.

nadja la claire
11-06-2006, 10:56 PM
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! :muah: :muah: :muah: :hug: :hug: :hug: I guess I'm going to be spritzing and pinning. Thank you all so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah:

Nadja xxx