PDA

View Full Version : fetching--has this happened to you?!

kashadilla
11-06-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm sick of knitting fetching!!
I made myself a pair, DH saw them, and he wanted a pair (minus the girly cables), then his best friend saw his and she wanted a pair, a friend from work saw DH's and wanted me to make a pair for each of her 2 year old twin boys, mother in law wanted a pair....and I just bought a new coat for which I'm making myself a new matching winter set..hat/scarf/mittens..of course...Fetching.

I've made 6 pairs in the last two weeks...and once my yarn arrives for mine...my LAST pair!

Pink Dandelion
11-06-2006, 10:49 AM
I commend thee for thy perseverance.... This ADD knitter woulda gotten sick of it a whole lot sooner than that!!

That's a lot of knitting in 2 weeks! I'm impressed!

brendajos
11-06-2006, 10:52 AM
uuuh yeah...i never would have made it past the second pair i don't think. good job!

dustinac
11-06-2006, 11:03 AM
:rofl: I gotta agree I wouldn't have been able to do that many fetchings lol

:cheering: you on your last pair

gardenmommy
11-06-2006, 11:16 AM
That is amazing! Did you make them two at a time on two circulars like socks? I bet you could knit them in your sleep now!

janelanespaintbrush
11-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Geez what demanding friends and family you have! I guess it's a good thing they don't want sweaters...

You know, it's okay to say no sometimes, kashadilla... explain to them that you just don't enjoy knitting as much when it becomes a chore. (It's true, isn't it?) Or, you can be "diplomatic" like me, and when someone you don't particularly feel beholden to (like a friend's sister whom you hardly know) asks you to knit something, just offer to teach them how to knit instead. Give them an approximation of the time and cost involved in their project, and there's a good chance they will back off. (If not, maybe you'll gain a new knitting buddy, and they can share some of the burden!)

Of course, I don't think it would be unreasonable to drop hints about what type of "compensation" might be appropriate for your handiwork. I think fetching is worth at least a batch of homemade brownies, and a trip to a day spa, don't you? :teehee:

KellyK
11-06-2006, 11:34 AM
That happened to me with the Fiber Trends clogs... I've knit 37 pair altogether. :thud:

janelanespaintbrush
11-06-2006, 11:44 AM
warning: lame attempt at clever joke ahead

That happened to me with the Fiber Trends clogs... I've knit 37 pair altogether. :thud:

OMG, KellyK! How much Drano did you have to drink to get all those clogs out of you?!?!?![/b]

KellyK
11-06-2006, 11:45 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

ebrperk
11-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Kelly--37 PAIRS!!!!!!! Oh my goodness I didn't realize you made so many of those. I have only made 5 pairs so far.

Way to go on being nice and making all those Fetching's I think I may have to make a pair one of these days. Maybe :??

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Hey Kash, do you think you could make me a piar of fetchings too? :shifty:

amy
11-06-2006, 02:53 PM
OMG, when I first read this, I thought that "Fetching" was a clever new term for the way people try to get knitted gifts out of you, what you might call Begging or something. :teehee: It finally dawned on me, Oh, the pattern called Fetching! :doh: :blush:

...ie. "He tried to fetch a hat from me when he saw the one I was making for my brother."

Stiney
11-06-2006, 02:56 PM
"Stop trying to make fetch happen, Gretchen!"

</Mean Girls ref>

CreativeCreature
11-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Okay, newbie here. Please explain what a Fetching is. Link to a pattern maybe??

But I do have to say that if that many people requested I knit something, I'd have been forced to say BACK OFF! LOL
I am with the ADD knitter- I wouldn't be able to make that many of the same thing. You are very nice.

brendajos
11-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Okay, newbie here. Please explain what a Fetching is. Link to a pattern maybe??

But I do have to say that if that many people requested I knit something, I'd have been forced to say BACK OFF! LOL
I am with the ADD knitter- I wouldn't be able to make that many of the same thing. You are very nice.

Here's (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTfetching.html) a link! :thumbsup:

kniftyknitter12
11-06-2006, 05:08 PM

:thud: :noway: :thud: :noway:
37 pairs! Holy crap! I thought making 10 would be a lot.

CateKnits
11-06-2006, 05:51 PM
"Stop trying to make fetch happen, Gretchen!"

</Mean Girls ref>

:roflhard: That was so fetch, Stine!

cheesiesmom
11-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Although I didn't use the cabled pattern I've made 4 pair. My DD lost one pair that I had to replace and then wanted an extra pair. (one was for me) They're fast but after 4 times, BORING!

stagebear
11-19-2006, 09:28 AM
could you tell me how you altered the pattern to get rid of the patterns? is it just knittting straight or is there something else to it?

cheesiesmom
11-19-2006, 02:35 PM
You might try the wristwarmer pattern on knitty http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/PATTvoodoo.html

It's just a simple rib pattern which will make them snug on your hands. I used the fingerless glove pattern from knitpicks which were knit flat and stitched up the side. Or google wristwarmer patterns or check out knittingpatterncentral.com. There are a lot of simple patterns for them either knit in the round or flat.

skNYC
11-19-2006, 02:41 PM
You need learn how to say NO - just not to yarns ;)