PDA

View Full Version : My son wants me to teach him to knit!!!!!

horve1
11-06-2006, 12:23 PM
My 18 year old son asked me to teach him to knit! I am so thrilled! He's always been the one person in my family to appreciate my knitting. Then Saturday night (on the way back from wrestling) he asked me if I could teach him. He brought it up again last night, so he may actually mean it. If he does, I think it's the coolest thing ever.

Any words of wisdom? - especially from anyone around his age? - especially especially a guy around his age?

:woot:

suzeeq
11-06-2006, 01:21 PM
I'd start teaching him with a scarf, either garter or a rib pattern. Then maybe a hat.

sue

cara
11-06-2006, 01:30 PM
send him to the men knit (http://www.menknit.net/) website to read up on the history of knitting. A few of my guys friends who read it said that it made them feel much better about knitting and being proud of it!

Jan in CA
11-06-2006, 01:42 PM
If he's asked several times I would definitely do it! Just start teaching him the basics and let him go! I think it's awesome that he's man enough to want to knit!

ETA: I almost choked when I went to the "MenKnit.net" site. Click on groups and check out the first two group names! :teehee:

http://www.emotihost.com/glass3/5.gif

skNYC
11-06-2006, 01:44 PM
I would just give him the yarn and needles. Let him take the lead as what he wants to learn and how he wants to learn it.

My 5 yr old daughter and 2 yr olds son want me to teach them how to knit. I told them they will have to wait till they are 6.

rebecca
11-06-2006, 01:58 PM
WTG, Brian :cheering: :cheering:

aineepooh1
11-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Also, there are lost of books out about me knititng. One that comes to mind that i saw in Barnes and Noble was "knititing with balls" but i don't know the author..
but yeah.
as a matter of fact, when I started knititng approx 4 mons ago my 11yr old nephew wanted me to show him.. and i did show him some of it unitl his DAD came in an implied that there was something wrong with kniting. . :?? :?? so i told him later (without his dad present) if he wants to learn now or later. I would teach him
so Strike while the Iron is hot.. Go for it!! :cheering: :verysad:

stitchwitch
11-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Alot of guys are getting into knitting now. I watched a show a few months back about these two famous snow boarders in Europe someplace, anyway, they knit hats in the off season and I guess because of who they are the hats are quite sought after and expensive. Way cool!! :cheering:

amy
11-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Horve1, that's great! There are some prominent male knitters out there. Knitty's got a regular, I made his entralac scarf for Sheldon. Sheldon's recently expressed more serious interest in knitting as well!

Jan, OMG that's a riot! :roflhard:

knitqueen
11-06-2006, 05:45 PM
ETA: I almost choked when I went to the "MenKnit.net" site. Click on groups and check out the first two group names! :teehee:

Makes 'Stitch 'n Bitch' not sound so bad afterall!!! :teehee:

Quiara
11-06-2006, 05:59 PM
I'd ask him what he wants to learn to knit and teach him the skills to do that first. I'm not a big believer in a "scarf-as-first-project." I never finished a scarf until I'd done many more interesting and complicated projects. Even now, a scarf is a struggle unless it's like the ones I've been making lately: scrunchable scarf with chunky baby alpaca (yum!). I made socks before I ever finished a scarf. I think it's all about finding his interest and teaching to that. But that's just my opinion.

itsazoo
11-06-2006, 06:48 PM
I think it is great that you son wants to learn to knit. When my sister-in-law asked me to show her how I found that I'm not a good teacher-I'm a new knitter but I don't think I'll ever be able to put knitting into words that someone else can explain. I told her about this site and now she's hooked.

The Spider
11-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Knitting something that a guy would want to wear is hard enough for experienced knitters (or so I read when I read patterns written by women for their husbands), but the one thing that I can't see any guy having a problem with is a simple ribbed watchcap.

I did one in a basic 2x2 rib. It teaches knitting, purling, and decreasing, and knitting in the round. It's also wearable without the same kinda stigma that a scarf might carry for a guy. After a little while on the practice swatches, I'd say hook him up with a circular needle and some good ol' worsted weight wool (Malabrigo's "Dark Earth" colorway is particularly manly:))

Quiara
11-06-2006, 06:58 PM
I second that. I'm addicted to hats and though I'm not male, I've knit plenty of them for males I'm affiliated with in one way or another. They are much loved and not particularly intimidating to knit.

janelanespaintbrush
11-06-2006, 06:59 PM
I second that. I'm addicted to hats and though I'm not male, I've knit plenty of them for males I'm affiliated with in one way or another. They are much loved and not particularly intimidating to knit.

Ditto. That's what I started with too (after giving up on a scarf because it took too long). Relatively fast, easy, and confidence-building.

nadja la claire
11-06-2006, 07:05 PM
:woot: :cheering: :happydance: Thats so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I noticed that you from NE PA, if you're close to Philly theres a mens knitting group that meets at a yarn shop on South Street. I think you should put him to work making dish cloths . I also agree with cara send him to men knit.

Nadja xxx

horve1
11-07-2006, 07:47 AM
Big thank you to everyone! Now we just need to find the time, between our two crazy schedules. I am so thrilled! Loving all the suggestions.

HamburgKnitter
11-07-2006, 09:03 AM
I think it's great that he wants to learn to knit! :cheering:

I agree that a scarf, while good for pratice, isn't very good when it comes to keeping the knitter interested. I just finished two and I was totally determined to knit them just for the practice...but it got to be a real chore towards the end.

What about an iPod or cell phone cover?

MrsSquirty
11-07-2006, 09:52 AM
my brother is 17

and he has asked when i go and see him at xmas to teach him/show him how to knit

he been already telling me what i should make (iv only been knitting myself since august)

CarmenIbanez
11-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Maybe we should start a "teach your son or daughter to knit" blog. Or KAL? My 14 year old son wants to learn as well. He has some motor skill issues with his hands and I think it will be really good for practice some of those movements.

Jeremy
11-07-2006, 12:55 PM
I really love to knit. Sometimes its the thing that keeps me really sane. I say let him knit what he really wants to knit. Scarves are way overrated. I think the very first thing that I finished was a hat that was sewn up a seam. All it really required besides knitting and purling was doing decreases. I hope he has fun.

ecb
11-07-2006, 02:06 PM
the most AMAIZING knitter I have ever seen is a man
he runs a company called Hope Spinnery
he did this varigated yarn and intrasia patterened hat
and he makes the most amazing Sweaters
I will NEVER be that good a knitter
but I can dream

ecb

nonny2t
11-07-2006, 04:06 PM
How cool is that! I think both the brother and the son must have stupendous role models to be comfortable enough to even ask! WTG to the men in their lives! Don't a lot of high school wrestlers wear headbands and wristbands? How hard would they be to do? I know Rosie Greer the retired football player is a BIG needlepointer and look at him. I think you just need to keep the positive and just keep encouraging him reminding him is it a HOBBY just like building models or whatnot where you have great clothing etc when you are finished instead of a plastic car and a glue sniffing headache! :rofl:

As for the menknit.net, I laughed so hard at the group names I choked. It is worth showing my dh.

Faye