PDA

View Full Version : OT-Politicians out for blood here in AZ - Happening to you?

MrTea
11-06-2006, 12:39 PM
It seems like this is the dirtiest election I can remember. What is going on!? Every single ad on the TV and Radio is a mudslinging fest. It's driving me CRAZY!

The last few days the Democrats have been calling and calling, they even sent one of their thugs to my home. On Sunday, no less! Grrr! I guess they are trying to sweep the independent vote. This has never happened before. I mean, sometimes I get those pre-recorded messages, but I've never been harassed like this.

I was almost ready to vote for their senate candidate, but after all the harassment this weekend, they can forget it!

Is this happening to anyone else?

P.S. I do not intend for this to be a partisan political debate. I just want to know if anyone else is being harassed by whatever political party; be it Dem, Rep or otherwise. I respect your political views no matter what they are.

Stiney
11-06-2006, 12:41 PM
You should see the mud-slinging for the mayoral election in my town of 5,000 people.

I'm sad that they've lost your vote. Maybe they can't keep their campaigns clean, but I think we should still vote on the issues.

brendajos
11-06-2006, 12:47 PM
ummm... I appreciate that you don't want this to be a partisan debate but calling the Dems thugs and saying that they are out for blood certainly did send me into protective mode.....just saying... :shrug:

As it is, I do find the mudslinging irritating but honestly, the only way it will stop is when voters stop responding to it.

MrTea
11-06-2006, 01:00 PM
ummm... I appreciate that you don't want this to be a partisan debate but calling the Dems thugs and saying that they are out for blood certainly did send me into protective mode.....just saying... :shrug:

Well, none of the other parties are sending people to my home to intimidate me. Or repeatedly calling on the phone after I ask them to please stop.

I would be just as upset if the Republicans did the same.

Don't worry I'm not voting for those thugs either. :teehee: I generally always vote 3rd party.

I am not calling Democrats thugs, I'm calling the person that came to my home to intimidate me a thug.

I feel all people are created equal and do not judge anyone purely by their political views.

Maybe I should change the title of this topic. I really don't want to upset anyone, but I wanted to express how upset I am over this.

brendajos
11-06-2006, 01:11 PM
did you try calling the state party office to express your complaint? I would LIKE to believe that none of the state offices would actually want to be represented that way. The phone calls are one thing (annoying yes but the nature of the beast i am afraid) but sending someone out to intimidate people is something completely different.

One thing that I would like people to remember about third party votes....They usually help the person you would NOT have wanted to help.

People voting for Perot probably wouldn't have voted for Clinton and people voting for Nader probably wouldn't have voted for GWB.....but effectively they did since they took away votes that PROBABLY would have gone for the other candidate if they had no third choice.

Sadly the three party system doesn't work in this country right now...probably won't until we get rid of the electoral college...but WOW will election night be long if that ever happens! :shock: Holy Mother of all recounts! they will will be recounting every precinct i think if that ever happens!

MrTea
11-06-2006, 01:25 PM
I vote for community leaders not career politicians. I've heard that song and dance a million times before. I still vote for the person I feel is most willing to actually represent the people of my community.

Once again I do not want this to be a political debate. I just want to know if this is an Arizona thing, or whether independents in other states are also being harassed.

Like I mentioned before, I've always received the pre-recorded messages in the past. But this is taking it to a whole new level that I have never experienced before.

Stiney
11-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Sorry you're being harassed. :hug:

I'm registered Dem (I wanted to vote in the primaries. Which is kinda stupid, because by the time NJ has its primaries, the presidential candidate has already been selected), so I don't know if they're doing the same in NJ.

GYAH, eta to fix your.

dustinac
11-06-2006, 01:34 PM
In OH they have the mud slinging ads.. I wish they (other than Pryce she does) would just state what they are for and what they will do and not bash the other.. I thought thats what ads were suppose to be used for.. so you figure out who stands where.. alot of the ads here were banned to racey but mom gets news on the border of OH and WV and she has seen them.. she says they are just awful and wishes their station would pull them too :shrug:

No one to my house but the phone calls are annoying.. get a bunch every day and always a recording... they also show up private name and # so I think maybe so and so with unlisted #... I will be glad when I can watch tv without the ads and my phone goes back to ringing once or at most twice a day :roflhard:

eta: that Pryce does have some mudslinging ads as well but she is about the only I've seen state what she is for... all I've seen from the others is mud slinging...

sittenknitten
11-06-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm in Colorado: I don't know if it's because we're on the no-call list or if we're just lucky, but the only telephone calls I've received have been the reminders to vote. They're actually fun, since I get to tell them I've already voted (we always do absentee/vote by mail.) We have satellite t.v. and no local stations are available (much too small of a market) so we get the east coast and the west coast feeds. Sheesh, the mudslinging is really terrible on the L.A. and New York stations. I'll be glad when the election is over, the news is bad enough.

MrTea
11-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Sorry you're being harassed. :hug:

Thanks for the hug and the empathy, cawthraven.

zkimom
11-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Are you sure it's really the Dems making all those annoying calls? Read this excerpt from Salon.com:

Maybe there's somebody out there who actually enjoys hearing prerecorded phone calls from politicians and their supporters. We thought it was pretty cool the first time we picked up our phone and heard Bill Clinton on the other end of the line. Hundreds of calls later, we put down the receiver as soon as we hear that telltale moment of silence that comes just before a recorded message starts to play. We've never been persuaded by a single call, but we've been annoyed by many, many, many of them.

The GOP seems to understand what's happened here. As Josh Marshall has been reporting at Talking Points Memo, the National Republican Campaign Committee appears to be using robo-calls to push voters away from Democrats in races all around the country. The tactic? Record a call that mentions the Democratic candidate right at the beginning, then load the negative stuff about the candidate into the end. If the recipient of the call listens to the full message, he or she hears a dose of negativity about the Democratic candidate. If the recipient hangs up before the message runs its course, the computer dials the same number repeatedly, leaving voters with the impression that the Democrats, not the Republicans, are the ones bombarding them with repeat calls.

Marshall has rounded up reports of such calls in congressional races in Illinois, Pennyslvania, New York and elsewhere. When Illinois' Barrington Courier-Review asked an NRCC spokesman about the repeat calls, the spokesman said there must be a problem with the contractor the Republicans hired to do the calls or with the computer that is making them. In New Hampshire, a state law makes it illegal to place political robo-calls to state residents who have signed up for the national Do Not Call registry. The NRCC -- taking the GOP's usual federalism-is-great-except-when-it-isn't stance -- says it's going to keep making robo-calls in the state regardless of what state law says. "We are a federal organization campaigning about a federal race," an NRCC spokesman tells the Boston Globe. "We feel that New Hampshire law does not apply to what we are doing."

Personally, I made my mind up a long time ago about how I am voting tomorrow and no calls or ads are going to change my mind. I just rely on my caller ID and don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number

stitchwitch
11-06-2006, 02:21 PM
It's bad here, real bad. I live in a gated community and some goon parked her car outside the gates and snuck in to harass people. I don't know what party affiliation because I didn't answer the door but she crammed a bunch of political propaganda in my doorjam and left. Thankfully, our phone is a business phone so we haven't been bombarded with that but the amount of political junk mail I've received has filled up my recycle bin. It's no wonder people aren't getting out and voting, they're all sick of the nastiness.

MrTea
11-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Are you sure it's really the Dems making all those annoying calls? Read this excerpt from Salon.com:

Yes, well, I guess I can't be 100% sure. But, it shows up as AZ Democratic Party on my caller ID and the "thug" was wering Democratic party buttons and was holding a democratic party flag and announced themselves as a member of the Democratic party.

The phone calls in question are not pre-recorded. It's an actual "person" on the line.

brendajos
11-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Well to be fair....Salon is a leeeeeeeeeeettle bit partisan in their reporting (and by a leeeeetle I mean a lot...lol)

I don't get the phone calls except those looking for donations but i do get the mail. I am always amused by those that are obviously just doing blanket mailings. ya know...the ones who send me mailings about how horrible people of my political leanings are... I know they appreciate the scathing messages they get in return. :teehee:

stitchwitch
11-06-2006, 02:26 PM
The next person to ring my bell, I'm going to open the door with a super soaker! :roflhard:

MrTea
11-06-2006, 02:28 PM
The next person to ring my bell, I'm going to open the door with a super soaker! :roflhard:

Cute.

Not a bad idea stichwitch. Chuckle.

dustinac
11-06-2006, 02:29 PM
yeah the mailings make me sad though.. cause you know its just wasted.. people prolly don't even look at them just trash them.. so it was a waste of paper that ended up in the garbage... unless you recycle and I doubt people do that like they should (at least around here you don't see the yellow containers at every house on recycle day)... :verysad:

dustinac
11-06-2006, 02:31 PM

:teehee: :rofl:

when ever someone comes to my grandfather's door that has a different opinion than him.. he says ok I'll give you 5 mins with no interruptions... if in return you give me 5 mins of your time to hear me out.. they usually say no...

brendajos
11-06-2006, 02:31 PM

Yes, well, I guess I can't be 100% sure. But, it shows up as AZ Democratic Party on my caller ID and the "thug" was wering Democratic party buttons and was holding a democratic party flag and announced themselves as a member of the Democratic party.

The phone calls in question are not pre-recorded. It's an actual "person" on the line.

okay seriously with THAT much Dem paraphernalia I would almost have to believe that they were an impostor....As much as I am a big ol' rah rah Dem even I wouldn't have been that overboard showing my support.... that's hilarious... :rofl:

BillSpace
11-06-2006, 02:34 PM
On the one hand, I understand getting turned off by mudslinging. It doesn't do much to inform people of the real issues (some of the connections I've seen drawn are ludicrous -- even when they attack a candidate I hate!).

But: we live in a democracy. That means you get to participate. That means people will try to change your mind. Imagine a country where the powers that be did NOT need your vote, so never came begging. I have a hard time feeling sympathy for someone whose gated community was breached by someone who actually believed in something and wanted to persuade you of the same.

It's annoying. But, as Winston Churchill pointed out, Democracy is the second worst system of government ever invented. All the others are the worst.

One way to control how much negative information you receive is to limit your TV watching and your commercial radio listening. Just this time of year -- turn off the TV, and read a magazine or a newspaper or some form of information that can actually help you vote in a way that is intelligent, informed, and aligned with your interests and values. Or (to work in some knitting references) put on a CD you love and knit a while.

Then, after tomorrow, you can turn on the TV and answer your phone again.

MrTea
11-06-2006, 02:37 PM
yeah the mailings make me sad though.. cause you know its just wasted.. people prolly don't even look at them just trash them.. so it was a waste of paper that ended up in the garbage... unless you recycle and I doubt people do that like they should (at least around here you don't see the yellow containers at every house on recycle day)... :verysad:

The post office makes a killing off those bulk mailings, that's why it's allowed to go on. Poor trees.

I'm concidering replacing my mailbox with a trash can. :teehee:

Here in Tucson, they gave us all blue recycling bins and bought the trucks that come and take the recycling away, but they never actually built the recycling facility. The city council just want's it to look like they are doing something. It boils my blood, they just dump it all in the landfill like everything else.

Although, from what I've read only aluminum can be recycled efficiently. Apparently, recycling plastic, glass and paper actually causes more pollution than just making more new stuff.

Oh, well.

janelanespaintbrush
11-06-2006, 02:39 PM
No phone solicitors here, but then I have an unlisted number, and my line is set up to reject unidentified calls. I also live in a pretty solidly blue area, so that may have something to do with it too. I have seen a few "clipboard people" wandering around the neighborhood, but since we live in an upper floor duplex, I'm able to furtively peek out the window when the bell rings, to make sure it's someone I know before answering. (Otherwise, forget it!) Unfortunately, ignoring the doorbell doesn't keep them from stuffing our mailbox with campaign propaganda... As for TV, DH and I like to tape our favorite shows on the DVR ahead of time so we can FF through the ads, political or not. Overall I've been able to shield myself from the worst of it, I think. I'll be glad when it's over though.

As for choosing candidates, I find that I tend to vote against one candidate more than for another. The lesser of evils, if you will. (Not surprisingly, the greater evils tend to belong to a certain party more than the other, IMO. I won't say which one. ;)) The only time I've voted for a third party was for a mayoral race when the guy was a realistic contender and actually ended up winning the seat. In the rare case when I can't in good conscience vote for any of the candidates running for a particular office, I will abstain rather than vote for someone I know I'll regret. (And I retain my right to complain when I do that, thank you.)

MrTea
11-06-2006, 02:42 PM
I live in a primarily Democrat aria as well.

I think they are targeting me because I am registered as an independent.

The person that came to my door, already knew my name.

MrTea
11-06-2006, 02:53 PM
read a magazine or a newspaper or some form of information that can actually help you vote in a way that is intelligent, informed, and aligned with your interests and values.

I don't know about your community, but our newspapers always favor the Democratic candidates, no matter what the issue. The are like the exact polar opposite of Rush Limbaugh. I don't need any help from partisan sources whether that be a newspaper, the television, the radio or otherwise to make an intellegent decision about which candidate to vote for.

brendajos
11-06-2006, 02:55 PM
I am leaving the Senator field blank this year. If i were worried about the contender actually winning i MIGHT be inclined to hold my nose and vote for the incumbent but I really just can't. I have not received too many fan votes from the committee members calling me to ask me to come volunteer but since the state party is technically only supporting one candidate (with action) i will not come help them. so i do my work elsewhere....like for the candidates that aren't getting the party support that they should be.

btw...illegal to stuff flyers in mailboxes unless postage has actually been paid. you COULD turn them into the postmaster.

janelanespaintbrush
11-06-2006, 02:59 PM
btw...illegal to stuff flyers in mailboxes unless postage has actually been paid. you COULD turn them into the postmaster.

Actually, I guess they usually stick them in the door handle... technically a few inches away from the mailbox, but still annoying. Poor trees. :pout:

BillSpace
11-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Also, a point I wanted to make about campaigns continuing to contact you after you've told them not to:

I've worked on political campaigns before, and although the good ones try to honor such requests, the proliferation of databases, printouts, volunteers, etc., means that they're probably not going to be able to stop all contact once you've requested it. You know how businesses say something like "please allow six weeks for your request to be processed." Now imagine a political campaign with a lot of enthusiastic amateurs being given phone lists to call and address lists to visit. Say you've already printed up the batch and sent them out with volunteers who have a few days to make the calls, etc. There's no practical way to let all those people know not to call you.

So: I can't blame anyone for being annoyed when continually bothered after requesting removal from a list, but I just wanted to explain that it might not be the campaign deliberately ignoring your request - it might be just plain old election-eve chaos.

And I would also say that don't use a candidate's campaign tactics against him. If you say "that's it -- they've bothered me at dinner so often, I'm not voting for them" -- well, that seems to me spiteful, trivial, and dangerous to democracy.

However, voting against a candidate because of mudslinging or lying or just general creepiness -- well, that's part of democracy, too. Me, I'd rather vote for the candidate or the party I believe in, no matter how badly his or her campaign was run. But I can certainly understand opting out when both options seem equally bad.

MrTea
11-06-2006, 04:09 PM
And I would also say that don't use a candidate's campaign tactics against him. If you say "that's it -- they've bothered me at dinner so often, I'm not voting for them" -- well, that seems to me spiteful, trivial, and dangerous to democracy.

I see your point, but I feel that respect for other's privacy and property is a very important issue. If they have no respect for me, my family or household, will they respect the community they say they will represent? Calling me on the phone to spout some sales pitch and badmouth the opposition, I feel is disrespectful to me and the entire community.

All other candidates and ballot propositions aside. The Democratic senatorial candidate I might have voted for was engaged in just as much, perhaps even more, negative campaigning as the incumbent. The only reason I had to vote for him was to overthrow the incumbent, whom I feel has been betraying his constituency for far too long. There really should be a term limit for these "people". Although I am no longer planning on voting for the Democratic senatorial candidate I am certainly not going to vote for the Republican incumbent.

Their are generally more than two candidates to choose from, ignoring that is truly dangerous to democracy and may have already destroyed it.

stitchwitch
11-06-2006, 04:17 PM

I see your point, but I feel that respect for other's privacy and property is a very important issue. If they have no respect for me, my family or household, will they respect the community they say they will represent? Calling me on the phone to spout some sales pitch and badmouth the opposition, I feel is disrespectful to me and the entire community..

:heart: :heart: Thank YOU! I had to deal with the "doorbell ringer, knocker, stand there and ring it until it's broke" idiot when I came home from my MIL's funeral. We were bringing funeral flowers into the house, dressed in black during the day and this goon couldn't figure it out. Sometimes I think these people need to get a life besides politics, the term gung ho is an understatement for some of them.

knitknitknit
11-06-2006, 04:49 PM
I can't believe they sent someone to your door on a Sunday... regardless what party it was that is ridiculous. Repeated phone calls are annoying but at least you can check your caller ID or get off the phone pretty easily, but door to door that's putting a homeowner in a really uncomfortable position and is pretty invasive.. it's alittle too in your face if you ask me...

BTW I'm so tired of the "I'm Senator so and so and I support this message" commercials regardless of the party or topic.. it will be all over after tomorrow though!

janelanespaintbrush
11-06-2006, 04:53 PM
MrTea, you do seem to be getting it worse than most of us. I really feel for you because the kind of bombardment you're enduring would probably annoy me enough to want me to spite some of the candidates too. If I were you I'd seriously think about putting a "no solicitors" sign on my door. And maybe change my answering machine message to something similar. (It probably wouldn't screen out computer generated calls, but maybe the personal ones.)

Campaigners need to figure out a way to communicate with voters in a way that doesn't antagonize them because harassment should not have to be an unfortunate side effect of democracy. Maybe the volunteers are neophytes and the system is inefficient, but the truth of the matter is, the way many campaigns are being run now, they are losing, rather than gaining many voters through the very tactics that are supposed to garner support. That's just not smart.

ETA: All that said, I agree that you shouldn't necessarily blame the candidate for the onslaught of propaganda. Most probably don't have time to micromanage everything that goes on at the grassroots level, and likely have no clue that their volunteers might be doing detriment. They should be aware, though.

MrTea
11-06-2006, 05:17 PM
MrTea, you do seem to be getting it worse than most of us.

I think the reason must be, because I live in a community with a democratic majority (Tucson and surrounding arias) that exists within a larger community with a republican majority (Arizona). And they are trying to scrape up as many independant votes as possible as they are desparately trying to oust the incumbant republican senator.

I just don't understand why they think they can muscle me into voting their way.