PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else experiencing this??

CreativeCreature
11-06-2006, 02:20 PM
None of the videos on this site will load for me!! They start loading and then stop about 10-15 seconds into the video. I've been trying for days to watch some of them but they won't do anything!! We have high speed internet and they worked just fine the last week for me but the past couple of days I've had no luck. It's making me nuts! :gah:

Anyone have any ideas?? I plan to buy Amy's CD but until I can, I need to be able to use her website and it's not cooperating for me. :waah:

brownishcoat
11-06-2006, 02:23 PM
What operating system and browser are you using? Sometimes I have trouble loading them in Firefox, but not always.

brendajos
11-06-2006, 02:34 PM
have you tried clicking on the direct link that is at the bottom of each video? or maybe instead of clicking on the icon, right click and do the "save target as" thing and see if you can run it directly from your desktop?

CreativeCreature
11-06-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm using my mother's MacBook. I'm not as familiar w/ this as I am Windows. My laptop is out of comission at the moment so I have to use this.
Got any advice for Mac's?? I don't know how to problem solve w/ this like I can w/ Windows.

brownishcoat
11-06-2006, 02:46 PM
I would try some of Brenda's suggestions first, then I would try copying the link and pasting it directly into Quicktime or whatever viewer you are using.

In my Windows XP version, the command I would use is "File > Open URL…" and paste the link there. It may also be a good idea to check for player updates.

CreativeCreature
11-06-2006, 03:01 PM
I am not running Windows. This is a Mac and I can't right-click anything. There is no right button. Only one big button and it does the same thing, no matter where I push down on it.

I tried using the direct-link button on the video and it didn't help. I may try using a diferent browser. I've been using Safari so maybe Firefox will cooperate?

Stiney
11-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Can too right click. Hold down the button with the apple and the squiggly bit when you click; it's the same as right clicking on a PC.

I've never had problems with running the videos in Safari, but I haven't tried in the last week.

If Firefox doesn't work, try the right-click (as described above) method.

And if it still doesn't work, make sure Quicktime is up to date.

CreativeCreature
11-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Thank you, will try that.

janelanespaintbrush
11-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah, check for quicktime updates if your mac is not set up to do that automatically. It might not hurt to switch over to firefox either. There are third-party G4 and G5 optimized versions you can get (do a google search for something like "firefox g5" and you should find it). Works swell, and I've never had a problem with the videos.

ETA: I looked up the g5 optimized firefox since I wanted to see whether I was using the latest one... forgot there is an intel one too. (I only have a g5, boohoo.) The newest version doesn't seem to be able to support all the extensions I use so I think I'll stick with the one I'm using now, but if you're interested, here's a link (http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2006/10/26/firefox-20), though as I said, I haven't tried out that particular build and can't vouch for it.

CreativeCreature
11-06-2006, 03:23 PM
I tried the apple/click thing to 'right-click' and the video popped up and while it did play more than before, it wouldn't play all the way through. Firefox made no difference either.

Like I said before, these videos worked just fine at first. I don't know what's going on. I will let my mother fiddle with this for me when she gets here. I don't want to download anything onto her computer w/out talking to her first. This thing is brand new so I don't want to be the one to screw things up. I'll let her do that. LOL

I really appreciate your suggestions. :muah:

Quiara
11-06-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm on an older iBook (800MHz G3) running 10.4 and I've never had a problem. I use Firefox exclusively. I'd say try cmd+clicking like described above and saving it to your machine to see if that helps. Hope you can see them soon.

CreativeCreature
11-06-2006, 03:30 PM
When I cmd+click all that happens is the video pops up and starts running. I don't get an option to save to disk. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

My mom is here. She'll save me. LOL

brownishcoat
11-06-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't know why, but my brain is saying "Mac = Option + click". It's been a while since I've been on one, though, so it could just be crazy. :shrug:

janelanespaintbrush
11-06-2006, 03:43 PM
To "right click" on a mac, hold down the control button while clicking your mouse.

Quiara
11-06-2006, 03:45 PM
I completely spaced. Cmd+click opens the link in a new tab in Firefox. *brainfart* I actually am very computer literate. *sigh*

CreativeCreature
11-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Okay. I officially give up. LOL NOthing works. I will buy Amy's CD and my problems will be solved. Sounds smart, no? :thumbsup:

brendajos
11-06-2006, 04:21 PM
you know...something I just thought of...which videos are you watching? some of them are super short so it may seem like they are getting cut off.

(if you knew that already...sorry... :oops:)

CreativeCreature
11-06-2006, 04:29 PM
No, it's not the short videos. For instance, the one on knitting on DPNs- it will load as far as dividing the stitches btwn the needles and then stop. Nothing after it. Or the video on casting on (I obviously know how but I was trying different vids), it'll get as far as showing how to hold the yarn in your hand and then cut off, it doesn't get to the part of actually casting on.

It's all so frustrating b/c it worked just fine 3 or 4 days ago. I really don't understand why it won't work now. Nothing has changed.

I really appreciate all of your suggestions too. Thank you!! :muah:

janelanespaintbrush
11-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Well the sure fire way to get them to work again is to order the CD. I think it's one of Murphy's laws.

CreativeCreature
11-06-2006, 05:16 PM
LOL Yep! I think you are pretty much right on there Jane (may I call you Jane?).

Stiney
11-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Right. I'm at home now. And this was bugging me.

The videos play fine on my MacBook. My iTunes and QuickTime are the latest versions.

I have my trackpad set so that tapping with two fingers opens the secondary click menu (aka right-clicking). Ctrl+click will also open this window, and is standard (as far as I know.)

Alt/Option+click will "Save Target" to my desktop. That is, if I click on the video or link while holding down the Option key, the video will download to my desktop.

Try doing that, and see if the videos play. Make sure you have the latest QuickTime, 7.1.3.

CreativeCreature
11-06-2006, 06:47 PM
I tried that and it doesn't work. I am stumped. I am going to reroute our modem so I can get internet access on my desktop and then see if it works on my desktop. Maybe there is something going on w/ this computer? I don't know.

Again, thank you!! Too bad none of the suggestions worked. :??

janelanespaintbrush
11-06-2006, 06:56 PM
LOL Yep! I think you are pretty much right on there Jane (may I call you Jane?).

Sure. Jane or "your majesty." I respond to either one. :teehee:

CreativeCreature
11-06-2006, 07:15 PM
How about 'Your Highness'?? Sounds more feminine.

But 'Your Majesty' works too. :notworthy: