PDA

View Full Version : recycling... HEY FEMINISTMAMA or anyone else

koolbreeze
11-06-2006, 06:16 PM
hey gurl!
i read some tuts on recycling sweaters and wanted to know your expert opinion... is there absolutely no way to recycle a sergered sweater?

brendajos
11-06-2006, 06:20 PM
i don't think i would have the patience to try it myself but if it were going to be possible you would have to be able to get in there with teeny tiny scissors and try to rip out those stitches. i think it would be a long tedious process in the :wall: sort of way.

maybe someone has a good trick for making that easier though... :thinking:

Stiney
11-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Also, you wind up with lots of short pieces of yarn, from what I understand, not much longer than the width of the sweater. Not really worth it.

psammeadred
11-06-2006, 06:51 PM
You can recycle serged sweaters as long as:
1. You don't mind dealing with a lot of little pieces of yarn.
2. You're willing just to get yarn from the sleeves (which, in my somewhat limited experience, are rarely serged).

Basically, it all boils down to how much time and effort you're willing to put in it.

Pink Dandelion
11-06-2006, 07:13 PM
If it's all wool you could felt the sweater, cut it up and sew it into a bag... that's about the only way to recycle a surged sweater that would be worth your while.

Compulsive
11-06-2006, 08:26 PM
YES! you can recycle sweaters. It just depends on the type of sweater.
Recently, Knitty Gritty had a great segment on recycling sweaters for yarn.

I have some yummy yarns from taking a part thrift sweaters. FYI: the best time to snatch up great sweaters is early fall, and during January when everyone unloads those unwanted sweaters at thrift stores.

Here are a few tutorials:
http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/thrifty.html

http://neauveau.com/recycledyarn.html

Once I get a new camera, I'll post yarn I obtained via old sweaters. I even overdyed a light orange sweater with pinks and reds. Yummy!

cheesiesmom
11-06-2006, 09:13 PM
You could use the yarn for fringe!! :teehee:

koolbreeze
11-07-2006, 01:00 AM
thats what i figured... thanks ladies!