PDA

View Full Version : buttonholes

Regina Louise
11-06-2006, 06:35 PM
[color=darkred][/color

I need to know how to make a buttonhole on a shawl.

Ingrid
11-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Amy has video on making a buttonhole in the Advanced section. Scroll down.

Limey
11-07-2006, 06:25 AM
Hi

There are a few ways of doing buttonholes on www.knittingabout.com.

My favourite one is the fourth version by Maggie Righetti - minimum distortion to the stitches and doesn't make holes either side of the buttonhole itself. :thumbsup:

All the Best

Limey

moon
11-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Does she explain this better in her book?

I tried to do this and just could not understand it, so I ended up using Amy's and there is a hole.

It seems identical except for the Twisted Purl Cast On. Is that right? I got lost at the first part, make a slip not. :wall:

suzeeq
11-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Hi

There are a few ways of doing buttonholes on www.knittingabout.com.

My favourite one is the fourth version by Maggie Righetti - minimum distortion to the stitches and doesn't make holes either side of the buttonhole itself. :thumbsup:

Here's the right link - http://knitting.about.com/

sue

momwolf
11-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Here is the link you want really :roflhard: this time

http://knitting.about.com/library/blbh5.htm

Limey
11-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Hi Moon

I've just checked out Amy's version and the Maggie Righetti version of the one-row buttonhole.

In Amy's, you slip a stitch and then take the yarn to the back

In Maggie Righetti's, you slip a stitch and then bring the yarn to the front.

It does take some time to get your head around the technique :?? - there is one main thing to remember: when you start casting on the buttonholes, there should be no other stitch in front - this might sound obvious but it's not - not with the passing of stitches backwards and forwards. I had started casting on once and wondered why on earth there was a stitch in front of where I was working.

If it helps, write down the instructions - they aren't very long to copy out - I know if I write things down, it helps them to sink in.

All the Best
Limey

moon
11-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Thank you so much for your help. I'm going to try it again.