PDA

View Full Version : How can I adjust a pattern to make a bigger size?

cdenes
11-06-2006, 08:49 PM
I have several baby knitting books, but now my "baby" is nearing 2 yrs old and most of the patterns don't offer directions for sizes after 12 months. In particular, "Knitting for Two" by Erika Knight has a cute raglan sweater that I made for my son last winter and loved -- I want to make it again but can't manage to get the sizing right. Can anyone help guide me through that???

also I made a hat for my son from a baby pattern and now my husband wants the same hat -- but again I don't know how to make it big enough.

thanks!!!!

christy, mom to Emile

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-07-2006, 02:46 PM
YOu can adjust your gauge... knit with a chunkier yarn on bigger needles.

You can also do some math to figure out how many extra stitches you should cast on. If the sizing is for, say newborn[3-6mos,6-12mos] just take the intervals between the patterns to make the next size... so if it says CO 30 (40, 50) sts, you'd CO 60 for the "next" size.

cdenes
11-08-2006, 12:54 PM
The trouble is that I want to use a particular yarn (Noro Kureyon) which I have already bought so don't have the option of using chunkier yarn. anyway I think if I went any chunkier with this particular sweater it would be impossible to wear.

I tried just incrementally increasing the number of stitches and I ended up with a sweather that was WAAAAY too wide. I actually already made it and ripped the whole thing out because my baby will never be that shape! is there not a more scientific way to do things?

christy