PDA

View Full Version : Vogue Knitting Mag - persuade, disuade

humblestumble
11-07-2006, 12:34 AM
I just got my final notice in the mail to renew for VK Mag, well at first I said I wasn't going to just because I've never knit anything from the year I was subscribed. I do love some of the patterns in them, but lately most of it I do not fall in love with.

Should I continue to subscribe, or should I try to find a retail place which sells VK and pick it up when I see something I like?

Persuade me or disuade me...I'm now flip floppy.

Ingrid
11-07-2006, 08:18 AM
I let my Vogue subscription expire recently, too. I'm just not wild about the patterns. I'm considerably older than you, so it could be a style thing, but I never was really impressed. I still LOVE IK, though.

moon
11-07-2006, 09:40 AM
I too really don't care for the majority of the patterns and I'm in my 20's and love to shop. Is it related to Vogue at all? It doesn't even seem like it is.

I thought at first it would be the best because of the name but after getting a few issues I probably won't get any more.

dustinac
11-07-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't get Vogue's every time it comes out either... this way I can check it out at the store before I decide to buy.. I have bought their last couple though... maybe you could do that for awhile just check them out at the store if you see that your buying more than not.. then renew...

gardenmommy
11-07-2006, 10:19 AM
I'd do the math too...Is it cheaper to pick it up an issue here and there with a 40% off coupon from Joann or Michaels or Hobby Lobby (do they even sell it there?) that has patterns you actually like after you "preview" it, or get a subscription. I think you could maybe sell your back issues on eBay or something like that too. :thinking:

CarmenIbanez
11-07-2006, 12:39 PM
I think it is just a style thing. I usually like two or three things in the mag. I do like some of their articles and I love to look through all the different ads for yarns and such. But I don't keep them. I trade them for other mags. I'd say if you aren't wild for it, let it go.

brownishcoat
11-07-2006, 01:06 PM
I picked up some older ones at a couple of garage sales. Most of the patterns looked too complicated, but I LOVE the articles. Especially the Meg Swansen ones. I don't know if she's still writing for them, but they are really great.

knitknitknit
11-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I like subcribing to it for inspiration... i just went through all my past issues (it's the only magazine i keep) and found a sweater that's totally in now and I'm so on it! :)

Momma_Jo
11-07-2006, 02:51 PM
I like it overall.

However, I'm one of those cheap people who like to sit in the bookstore and read magazines for free, and while I do buy VK, I don't buy other magazines unless they have more than 1 pattern I like. If it's just 1 pattern, I bring a notepad and a pen and copy the directions. :teehee:

suzeeq
11-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Yes Hobby Lobby does carry VK, so you can use their coupon for it. I don't care for most of their patterns; I found it in a library and copied one or two patterns I liked, but that's it. I don't buy many magazines unless it's got about 3 or patterns I want directions for, otherwise, I'm like Momma_Jo and write down the stitch pattern or basic instructions.

sue

humblestumble
11-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Sometimes I love a lot of the patterns, and sometimes I only like one and an article or two. My problem, and the main reason I got the subscription, is that it's difficult for me to find it here. Hobby Lobby here does sell it, but only whenever it comes in (which is practically never) - Their most recent issue is Holiday 2005, that's bound to say something. They never know when it will be in stock.

I think Barnes and Noble carries it, but the last time I checked, they rearranged things and I didn't see it.

I like your thinking, Momma_Jo :teehee: I just may take that idea. :oops:

suzeeq
11-08-2006, 02:36 AM
Hmmm, one day last week I was in my HL and they had a couple boxes stacked in front of the magazine rack, unpacked. A couple days later there was VK's latest issue in the stand.

sue

VictoiseC
11-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I love it. Mine just expired too but with the Holiday Issue I was convinced I want it again. The articles are good, they do beginners stuff and advanced, I think they have gorgeous stuff in there. And ideas. It's not THAT much money when you can enjoy it for years!

humblestumble
11-08-2006, 01:56 PM
I love it. Mine just expired too but with the Holiday Issue I was convinced I want it again. The articles are good, they do beginners stuff and advanced, I think they have gorgeous stuff in there. And ideas. It's not THAT much money when you can enjoy it for years!

Hmm, true. Maybe I will try waiting a little while to see if I want it again. I just don't know at the moment (I got my LAST notice from VK in the mail...all urgent and stuff), if I want to spend 20 dollars on a magazine sub. I don't mind the 6 bucks for now, but 20 I'll have to think about.

If only I was getting my court money NOW.