PDA

View Full Version : OT: PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE TODAY!

CarmenIbanez
11-07-2006, 12:45 PM
I'd love to tell you WHO to vote for, but I won't! :teehee:

Seriously though, no matter what your party preference is, or your political leanings, democracy works best when everyone participates. Don't be afraid if you don't know all the issues. You can read about them at the polling place.

janelanespaintbrush
11-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Don't be afraid if you don't know all the issues. You can read about them at the polling place.

I don't know how common this is, but the online version of our local paper has this nifty tool where you can type in your zipcode and street address (I used my neighbor's because I'm paranoid about these things -- I know I'm crazy) and it'll give you a list everything you have to vote for in your precinct. It's formatted like ballot, so you can check the candidates you like and print it out to use as a cheat sheet at the polls. Clicking on a name will give you a profile of the candidate, including background, affiliations, and endorsements, as well as a written statement.

If anyone isn't sure of who to vote for, check your local paper to see if they have something similar. I've found it very useful, especially when trying to figure out who to vote for the school board and stuff -- minor races that I would otherwise have little info to go on.

zkimom
11-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Yes, I did :woohoo:

-- Susan

CarmenIbanez
11-07-2006, 01:10 PM
My voter guide not only talks about all the issues, but also says which groups support which initiatives and so on. So let's say that you are a law enforcement officer, or a teacher or a nurse. You could see which nursing groups, etc support which initiatives. It isn't a fool proof method, but it can help ease some of the stress of trying to figure out all the different ballot measures, you know?

Plus, most of the state secretary of state sites will have a digital version of the voter guide if you don't have one.

If you do not know where to vote, you can go to google and type in "where do I vote" in quotes, and then outside the quotes, the name of your state.

jhelanee
11-07-2006, 01:57 PM
I dropped my ballot off on the way to work!

Thanks for reminding everyone.

knit-errant
11-07-2006, 01:58 PM
I voted today!

When I went, the voting officials or whatever they are were all older folks --- 60s-70s I guess. Anyway, I walk in there with a horrible headcold, a faux leather jacket and a purse that says, "This $#!% is bananas!"

The guy swipes the credit card thingy to activate my machine, and I see him do a double take on my purse: "It's really DOES say that, doesn't it?"

A few seconds later, I hear some hushed voices and they're all staring at me. Probably saying something like, "Oh no! There goes America!" or something. :teehee:

Brvfan
11-07-2006, 02:19 PM
I am voting later today. Everyone VOTE!!

orcoastknitter
11-07-2006, 02:22 PM
I dropped off my ballot on the way to work. Only had to bypass a few flooded streets, but I did it! :cheering:

Sara
11-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Election Day Factoid:

The average age of poll workers across the US today is 77

I voted! :waving:

I have a poster to finish for a Political Science Club event tonight. We start calling the voter rolls at 6:00 to try to get everyone out to the polls by 9:00. I go over to the county seat with the election commissioner at 8:15 to do the vote count. I should be back in Alfred by 10:30. And then I'll catch the tail end of the PS club's party. And maybe I'll be in bed by 1:00. :passedout:

Quiltlady
11-07-2006, 03:32 PM
I voted at 6:45am. No lines waiting to get in that early. :cheering:

nonny2t
11-07-2006, 05:20 PM
We are going as soon as hubby gets home in about 2 minutes and can change his clothes.

We are pretty much straight ticket voters, but I think if you ARE going to vote then prepare ahead of time. I mean, geez they have been building up steam for months. Almost all these people except maybe local stuff have websites where you can read about their views etc. I would try there first. I think the most important thing is to BE INFORMED!

I think we have new electronic voting machines so it will be interesting to see if they work ok.

Faye

suzq85
11-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Just gotta get my 2 cents in-------- I voted!! Now wait and see if my persons won and if my votes on other subjects held up!

Always vote!!! :muah: :muah: :muah:

CarmenIbanez
11-08-2006, 12:11 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but we had pretty high turnout here in California 51%. Sounds lame, and it really is, but it is much higher than in previous elections. YAY! Win or lose, I am so happy that people are voting!

brendajos
11-08-2006, 12:25 PM
I was looking at the election results on the Commissioner's website this morning and the county had 53% turn out....they were predicting that it was going to be really low turn out which i didn't understand and 53 is bad but it didn't seem that bad for a midterm.