PDA

View Full Version : 100% wool suggestions

Momma_Jo
11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm a sucker for fancy and combo yarns, but 100% wool is just so cheap. And so itchy. Is there anything cool I could knit out of 100% wool? I still itch at the memory of this wool sweater my mother had knit me when I was like 10.

meg
11-07-2006, 02:58 PM
how about somehting you can felt and maybe line?like gloves or slippers? there is a cute clog pattern floating around here. also, how about some great bags? felted bags are fun and you can mix and match your yanrs and add extras like flowers.

Momma_Jo
11-07-2006, 03:06 PM
I really don't like felted stuff, sorry...

suzeeq
11-07-2006, 03:14 PM
How about merino wool? It's all wool and very soft so you could wear it over skin.

sue, who isn't into felting things either

meg
11-07-2006, 03:15 PM
it was just a thought! :)

DragonTush
11-07-2006, 04:06 PM
You could still make a purse..just don't felt it. Or bags..or a belt?

MrTea
11-07-2006, 04:25 PM
I know it's probably a sin to say this here, but I don't like knit bags either, felted or otherwise. (I do like felted slippers though)

Seems to me that leatherwork is far more appropriate for bags. Just like I feel weaving is more appropriate for scarves.

No offence to anyone, but it seems like some people would knit an entire house if they could. Not everything lends itself to knitting. My two cents.

What about knit toys, teddy bears and such. Or dog sweaters, do you have a dog? They have fur, so wool doesn’t really bother them.

How about merino wool? It's all wool and very soft so you could wear it over skin.

Merino is great for all sorts of things that touch the skin, however it is generally very expensive. I think Momma_Jo's point was that she is encouraged to do more work with 100% regular sheep's wool because it is affordable, durable and high quality, but has trouble finding projects as most knit things are generally intended to touch the skin.

DragonTush
11-07-2006, 04:31 PM
I know it's probably a sin to say this here, but I don't like knit bags either, felted or otherwise. (I do like felted slippers though)

It's never a sin to voice ones opinion. It is, after all, only an opinion.

What a person knits, is that persons choice. If I didn't like what I was knitting ..well, I wouldn't knit it ( unless someone begged me to do it...someone I love dearly at that). That is one of the joys of knitting. Artist creativity is boundless and what art is loved by everyone?

suzeeq
11-07-2006, 04:43 PM

Merino is great for all sorts of things that touch the skin, however it is generally very expensive. I think Momma_Jo's point was that she is encouraged to do more work with 100% regular sheep's wool because it is affordable, durable and high quality, but has trouble finding projects as most knit things are generally intended to touch the skin.

Ah but knitpick's merino style is only $2.49 per skein. There's about 120 yds per skein, so it would take about 8 or 10 for a sweater. That's pretty affordable. The very cheapest way to get yarn is to check out thrifts stores and use the yarn from there though.

sue

MrTea
11-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Ah but knitpick's merino style is only $2.49 per skein. There's about 120 yds per skein, so it would take about 8 or 10 for a sweater. That's pretty affordable. The very cheapest way to get yarn is to check out thrifts stores and use the yarn from there though.

Holy Crow! That's a great price! What's the catch? Seems like they have lots of colors to choose from too. The website even says it will felt, so it's probably not too chemical soaked either.

Thanks for the tip suzeeq. I may have to try some myself.

janelanespaintbrush
11-07-2006, 05:07 PM
MrTea, I think you should definitely try out merino style. One thing to keep in mind when buying it is that even though it's listed as DK weight, it's really closer to worsted (making it even more appealing, I think). A lot of their other yarns are good values too.

You probably already know this, but just in case... when you shop at KP, go through one of the banner ads here at KH -- it helps support the site. (If there isn't one there now, you can just refresh until one comes up.)

MrTea
11-07-2006, 05:14 PM
MrTea, I think you should definitely try out merino style. One thing to keep in mind when buying it is that even though it's listed as DK weight, it's really closer to worsted (making it even more appealing, I think). A lot of their other yarns are good values too.

You probably already know this, but just in case... when you shop at KP, go through one of the banner ads here at KH -- it helps support the site. (If there isn't one there now, you can just refresh until one comes up.)

I did not know that, thanks Jane. And yes, that does make it even more appealing.

suzeeq
11-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Merino style more of a light worsted, I guess; it looks the same thickness as a worsted yarn and knits up about the same too.

Their shipping is cheap and even free if you buy over $40... ;) heeeheheheee

sue

Calamintha
11-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Holy Crow! That's a great price! What's the catch?

The catch is that their merino is much rougher than higher priced merino. At least that was my experience with one of their other merino yarns, Shadow. I would recommend ordering a small amount to see whether you like it or not.

As far as what you can use rough wool for, I would recommend using it for outer clothes like a cardigan or shawl. Something like that where you will be wearing clothes underneath it that will protect your skin. Also, some people find that the skin on their hands and feet is not as sensitive as the rest of their body and can wear mittens and socks from regular wool.

MrTea
11-07-2006, 06:24 PM
The catch is that their merino is much rougher than higher priced merino. At least that was my experience with one of their other merino yarns, Shadow. I would recommend ordering a small amount to see whether you like it or not.

I knew it. Still worth a try though. Generally the Merino yarns I see come from Italy and cost 3 to 5 times that price.

janelanespaintbrush
11-07-2006, 06:43 PM
The catch is that their merino is much rougher than higher priced merino. At least that was my experience with one of their other merino yarns, Shadow.

You know, I seem to remember someone commenting that KP's lace weight yarns weren't as nice as some of the others... don't remember where I saw that... probably here. Merino style isn't the nicest yarn in the universe, but it's hard to beat the value. I'm very happy with the poncho I made with it. I also like andean treasure for budget baby alpaca.

jodstr2
11-07-2006, 06:51 PM
you might want to start out ordering color cards of KP yarns.
I'm glad I did, as I found I like some yarns better in person than on the screen or in the catalog, and likewise, other yarns that I thought I'd like, I didn't care for in person.

DragonTush
11-07-2006, 08:35 PM
OH and Mommajo if you don't like wool, why don't you try some acrylics? Michaels has some good prices on their yarns and I've used some of the softer acrylics. I made my dd's cardigan out of an acrylic yarn that was really nice to knit with. The plus is, of course, that I can wash her cardi without worrying too much about ruining the yarn.

Bernat satin is rather soft and it only cost $2.97 for a 152m (166yds) skein..I went when they had a sale and got them at $2.00 a skein.

There are just so many different yarn options out there that are actually reasonably priced ..don't think it has to be 100% wool.

If you do want to see some really nice yarn though check Make One Yarn store....its lurvely in there and the people are fantastic. (I'm pretty sure we are in the same city?

MrTea
11-07-2006, 08:44 PM
OH and Mommajo if you don't like wool, why don't you try some acrylics? Michaels has some good prices on their yarns and I've used some of the softer acrylics. I made my dd's cardigan out of an acrylic yarn that was really nice to knit with. The plus is, of course, that I can wash her cardi without worrying too much about ruining the yarn.

Dear god! the A word! :wall:

I can't even begin to tell you about my disdain for plastic yarn.

Although, I do have some respect for nylon.

DragonTush
11-07-2006, 08:56 PM
I'd much rather spend time with my kids then hand washing every bit of knitting I did for them.

To each their own.

MrTea
11-07-2006, 09:00 PM
I appologise.

I suppose all types of yarns have their uses.

DragonTush
11-07-2006, 09:09 PM
No need Mr. Tea. I know everyone has personal preferences for yarn. I'm still a relative newbie to the whole knitting thing...who knows what my tastes will run to as I keep going. I mean I have tried Milabrigo now....I might be spoiled for good now :shrug:

Edited to add...I even *gasp* have a stash. I mean I've had stashes before but I can tell you...it wasn't yarn. A whole new addiction :rofl:

Eloewien
11-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Michaels carries Paton's Classic Merino which isn't bad. They also carry Patons SWS (Soy Wool) which I've found to be much softer than most other wools. They might at least be worth a look...

Laura

DragonTush
11-07-2006, 09:12 PM
I've been tempted to buy that soy wool. How is it to knit? Its looks so pretty...but it was like five bucks for a 50gr. ball.

wooly_guy
11-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Like any yarn, wool can be soft or scratchy depending upon many factors; fiber content, manufacture, etc. Generally speaking, merino wools are softer to the hand than plain worsteds, but it still depends. I have used Paton's classic for socks and have had no objection to the feel. I found a unbranded yarn that is a blend of cashmere and merino that is very soft , and economical at least on sale. For me. the ultimate softness in a wool yarn would be 100% alpaca , cashmere, or camel hair........but they also have to be of a good quality mfg. But, the trade off is that these yarns will not wear quite as well as worsteds will. But one has to be cautious, I have sampled some yarns advertised as 100% and felt they were not, or of very poor mfg quality.
I have also used some "plastic" yarns that were extremely soft to the touch.However, in my experience, all synthectic yarn has a tendency to pill and stretch much more than wool yarn. Wool yarn takes a little more care in maintenance (cleaning) but will look better and last longer than most synthetics.
Wool.......its where its at ..........at least for me