PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you world travelers!

nonny2t
11-07-2006, 04:49 PM
We are going to Las Vegas for our yearly trip next year. We fly into Atlanta, which is only an hour, but then the flight to Vegas is 5 hours and I always need LOTS of different things to do. Can you get knitting needles, crochet hooks and such through screening or should I just pack anything I might want to work on in my luggage since I KNOW I can't bring scissors on board.

(I have a list from the TSB, and it says knitting needles are ok, but wondered if anyone has had a problem getting them on board anyway)

Faye

jolenel
11-07-2006, 05:01 PM
My mother just flew a couple weeks ago with crocheting gear (including a metal crocheting hook), and she didn't have any trouble with it. I might bring plastic/wood on the plane just to be safe.

Stiney
11-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Call your specific airports and airlines, because policies may differ from airport to airport and airline to airline. Better safe than sorry!

MrTea
11-07-2006, 05:05 PM
We are going to Las Vegas for our yearly trip next year. We fly into Atlanta, which is only an hour, but then the flight to Vegas is 5 hours and I always need LOTS of different things to do. Can you get knitting needles, crochet hooks and such through screening or should I just pack anything I might want to work on in my luggage since I KNOW I can't bring scissors on board.

(I have a list from the TSB, and it says knitting needles are ok, but wondered if anyone has had a problem getting them on board anyway)

Faye

Knitting needles are 100% A-OK to bring on a domestic flight. I don't know about international flights.

You can bring scissors on board now, but I think they have to be small cuticle type scissors.

You can always check www.tsa.gov and download the list of currently prohibited items.

Jan in CA
11-07-2006, 05:07 PM
I brought my knitting with me and a round tipped kiddy scissors and had no problems. I was using my Denise needles so what I did was to put all but the needles/cord I was using in checked luggage. That way I figured if they did confiscate the needles I was only out one set. They never even blinked though.

An important note... I've seen several times to take a self addressed stamped envelope with you so you can send the needles/project home. I did that, BUT I found out when I was the airport that they didn't have a mailbox or anyway to ship home had I needed to so check that out if you can.

MrTea
11-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Call your specific airports and airlines, because policies may differ from airport to airport and airline to airline. Better safe than sorry!

I've never heard of that. Your needles are fine be they, plastic, wood, bamboo, metal, whatever.

If you are really that worried download and print the "prohibited items" document from the tsa website the morning of your departure. Highlight the part where it specifically says knitting needles are allowed and bring it to the gate with you.

That way if they try and pull any Nazi crap, you can shove that official document in their self righteous faces.

nonny2t
11-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I have the TSA download, just wondering if anyone ever had a problem with them.

Jan: You idea of bringing a mailing envelope is great if you value your needles and don't want to give them up to the airport to throw away, which I find sad. Too bad they can't give some of the stuff to charity to use.

Faye

MrTea
11-07-2006, 05:25 PM
I've brought my addi's on several flights and never had even the slightest issue and they are pointy, shiny and made of metal.

One time, back before I quit smoking. They wouldn't let me bring my cigarette lighter. They gave me a little envelope and told me to mail it to myself. It was a $50 lighter. Like I'm supposed to put it in a little paper envelope and mail it. So insulting, there wasn't even a mailbox or any place to buy stamps. I ended up having to make friends with one of the girls in a gift shop and convinced her to hang on to it while I had my girlfriend come and pick it up. Grrr.

Can you believe the liquids sillyness? What's next, we will have to drain all of our bodily fluids before boarding the plane?

"Sorry sir, you have 11 pints of blood in your body, we only allow up to 10. You will have to drain the extra pint and mail it to yourself in this little envelope."

LoAnnie
11-07-2006, 05:33 PM
I traveled recently (like two weeks ago), and knitting needles are fine to bring. I went on 4 different flights in two weeks with no problems. On one flight I even got the "special" security treatment, and they were very careful with my project and needles making sure not to mess anything up. I will say though, that even on TSA website, "a dangerous item" is determined by the security officer. I would only keep one project in my carry-on. And personally I'd make it something small, that I wouldn't die if they took my needles. I just ussually bring some bamboo needles and some socks or gloves.

LoAnnie

Dilly
11-07-2006, 05:42 PM
I flew into the Dulles airport this past weekend to stay with FiberGirl and to visit with a bunch of other knitters from here, and to go to Stitches East. I flew Air Canada, and their website states that knitting needles are not allowed on their flights. I probably could have made it through security with them, but I don't know what would have happened if I tried knitting on the plane. I decided not to chance it so I packed my knitting in my suitcase.

I suppose I was considered international since I flew from Canada to the US, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with Air Canada's restriction. I'm flying on Delta in December, and I can't find anything prohibiting me from bringing my knitting on board.

mwedzi
11-07-2006, 06:45 PM
I've never had problems carrying my needles on any domestic flight. Actually, I haven't had a problem on international flights, either, though different airlines and countries do have different policies. Virgin Atlantic, for example, handed me a pamphlet of prohibited items that included knitting needles, but I didn't read it before taking them on and just asked the lady at the check-in counter instead. She said they were fine and I went through security with no problem. This was a flight from South Africa to England. I think you'll have no problem.

CarmenIbanez
11-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Flew yesterday. Took my entire book of knitpicks options (the pointiest, I think) plus my scissors (two inch kid scissors) AND my cigarette lighter. I made it through two airports with my lighter (didn't know I had it with me). That's kinda scary.

I kept thinking my knit picks options actually would make pretty good weapons if anyone tried any funny business!