PDA

View Full Version : Pick a needle, any needle ...

hapagirl
11-07-2006, 06:05 PM
So ... along the lines of my "What's in yer wallet?" post, what type/brand of knitting needles do y'all use? I'm currently attached to my Takumi Clover bamboo needles, but only because I haven't tried anything else. I'm curious about the KnitPicks Options needle set ... or those crystal ones ... anyone will to share? I'm sure it's all a matter of personal opinion and preference, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Thanks! :muah:

jodstr2
11-07-2006, 06:54 PM
I :heart: Addi Turbos for everything I can possibly use them on because they're slick and the joins are smooth.
for slipperier yarns, I use Clover bamboo.
most of my DPNs are Clover, but I have a couple of Crystal Palace bamboo DPNs.

I want to try KP Options.

Eloewien
11-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Most of my collection is Clover bamboo because it's what I could afford, however, lately I've become addicted to addis. I've ordered some KP sz 2 & 3 circs, and I am trying to wait for them to get here so I can compair 'em with my addis. We shall see!

Laura

jdee
11-07-2006, 07:45 PM
I have a set of KP options, for when I need circulars. My DPN's and straights are mostly bamboo, with a few plastic sets from Lion, and one set of Brittany Birch 5 inch DPN's that I LOVE for socks.

I use them all, and I don't think I could choose which I like the best.

figaro
11-07-2006, 08:07 PM
I also like my Takumi Bamboo needles, right now I have 6 pairs of straights, 2 circ's and one pair of size 4 Brittany Birch that I am not all the fond of. Not too sure about addi's or any of the others cause I have never used them before, not too sure I want to start as they are pricy!

DragonTush
11-07-2006, 08:40 PM
:oops: Zellers specials. I am holding back on getting really good needles. I know once I splurge on them I'll never go back...I can't afford 20 bucks for a set of needles ( thats like 2 skeins of yarn dude!)

I've heard that KP's options are really nice. Once I get this job and more hours..I might spoil myself and get the whole set at once.

suzq85
11-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Eloewein, I'm a SW Va. gal too! Good to see fellow Virginians here! I'm an extreme newbie, but am looking forward to learning! :happydance: :happydance:

Ingrid
11-07-2006, 09:00 PM
I love my Addis, but if I needed a set I'd go for the Options.

I use bamboo dpns, but I'm not sure of the brand.

mimi
11-07-2006, 09:07 PM
My 98 year old mother recently gave me her Boye knitting needles from 35 years ago. I am curious about the addis, but her Boyes are sentimental and it beats having to buy new.

SandraEllen
11-07-2006, 09:07 PM
I only use my KP Options now. for EVERYTHING!!!

suzeeq
11-08-2006, 02:42 AM
I have circular needles, though I have a couple straight ones which I never use because I don't knit on 3s and 5s, and a set of dpns that I seldom use. I have nylon circs that are about 35-40 years old that are great. Newer ones include some Milward's, plastic and metal, in metric sizes that I like very much, although one of them has a pretty blunt tip so it's sometimes difficult to inc with. Others are Boye or Susan Bates... I like them all.

sue

mwedzi
11-08-2006, 09:23 AM
I am a relatively new knitter (just since Feb. or so), but I have tried lots of needles. I have tried:
Straights: Lantern Moon, Clover Takumi, Bryspun, Boye, and some no-name brand I got in South Africa
Circulars: Lantern Moon, Clover Takumi, Bryspun, Boye (I guess? got them in a trade), KnitPicks Options, Crystal Palace, and Addi Turbos
DPNs: Clover Takumi, KnitPicks, Crystal Palace, Inox, and Brittany Birch

Of course different needles are better for different projects, but overall for straights, I love Lantern Moon. They are quite pricey, though. I don't like their Destiny circulars (or at least the one pair I had) because I had to push my stitches over the join. Though it might be because I knit too tightly, Crystal Palace has the same type of join (swivel) and I don't have any problems with their join. Crystal Palace dpns are my favorites and are quickly becoming my favorite circular needles, too. The best value for the money is KP Options. As far as I'm concerned, I don't ever need to buy another pair of Addi Turbos thanks to KP Options.

At the bottom of my list are my Bryspun circulars and my Inox dpns. The cord on the Bryspun circs is too thick and inflexible, and I don't like the coating or weight of the Inox dpns.

MrsSquirty
11-08-2006, 09:49 AM
i have loads of straight needs from charity shops and markets (dont know the brands) and i think some from fleabay lol

my mum brought all my needles for me

and iv got 3 pairs of circs (40cm and two 80 cm ones)

i love my straight needles and make most of my stuff on em lol

i think after xmas ill be getting all of my nans old knitting things as well (they are in my mums loft)

Vendie
11-08-2006, 10:04 AM
For straights I love Lantern Moons, but they are expensive, so I only have a couple of pairs. I do not care for their circulars, something about the join. I just received a set of Options and I adore them - more than I thought I would. I still love Addi's too. I have Denise's and I love them, but I have learned the hard way that they don't work well for picking up stitches (for me anyway) - I've broken two cables so far. For dpns, I prefer bamboo. Unfortunately, so does my cat. She likes to pull the dpns out of my knitting to chew on them. I have several incomplete sets now, thanks to her.

brownishcoat
11-08-2006, 10:26 AM
If it weren't for the splinters, I'd say get Ms. FridaMonkey some bamboo skewers from Wal-Mart! :teehee:

AmandaC
11-08-2006, 10:39 AM
I hate straight needles!

I have Denise's and Addi Turbos for circulars - just waiting for my KP Options to be delivered :cheering:
For DPN's I have Addi's ...

hapagirl
11-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Thank you all for your responses! I'm particularly fond of my Clover needles, and they work for me, but I was curious to see what other people are using. I buy mine from JoAnn fabrics, and use their weekly 40% off coupons which saves me $$. So far, I've got 3 straight sets and 3 circular sets.

Jodi - I haven't heard of Addi Turbos before ... do you buy them online or in a store? I'll have to check it out!

Laura - if you have a JoAnn's nearby, I'm happy to share my 40% off coupons with you - or better yet, sign up for the online newsletter and you'll get them automatically :)

jdee - this is weird, but how do the KP feel compared to the bamboo when you're holding them?

Debbie - I'd love to see a photo of your booga bag when you're done!

DragonTush - ditto what I said to Laura - if you have a JoAnn's nearby, sign up for their newsletter. Those 40% off coupons come in handy, and I always print out multiples.

Ingrid - I've heard so much about the Options that I just had to ask everyone here about them.

mimi - I hear you! I'm getting a complete sewing machine with attachments and cabinet from my friend's family. Her mother-in-law passed away and they wanted to give it to someone they know for sentimental reasons.

SandraEllen - what other brands have you used in the past? What makes you like the Options so much? I'm just curious :)

Sue - thanks! I haven't heard of Milward's ... I'll have to check it out! :)

Nikki - I used to have a pen pal that lived in South Africa. We wrote each other for over 10 years, but then I moved and we lost touch :( I'll have to check out the Crystal Palace needles too ...

MrsSquirty - fleabay :roflhard: I love it!

FiberGirl - :teehee: about your kitty! Hmmm ... seems like a lot of folks like Options ... my only concern is where you attach the cords - does it ever snag on the yarn? I'll have to check out Lantern Moons ...

brownishcoat
11-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Options have the BEST join. No snagging, ever. It also widens gradually, so the transition is very smooth. They rock!

rebecca
11-08-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm a circ girl, I have many straights (metal) that are displayed in a lovely antique Fiestware vase. My dpns are tucked away in the cabinet with my knitting books.
I have a set of Denises, over 60 individual circs and set of Options....I primarily use the Options...the single tip straights and dpns serve no other purpose then collecting dust :wink:
Were I just beginning to collect needles I'd go for the Options.

cgd
11-08-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm a needle and pattern book junkie, so I've tried a lot of them. I've used Boye aluminum, Susan Bates silvalume, both of which are OK. However, I tend to drop more stitches with metal so I mainly use Clover Takumi bamboo needles, mainly circ (for flat knitting as well) but some straights. My results with plastic ones are mixed--I didn't like the Crystalites, but I absolutely love Boye Balene II.

moon
11-08-2006, 11:34 AM
I'd simply die without my Knitpicks Options.

I have many bamboo DPN's.

Addis is great, but now that Knitpicks are out I really don't see why you'd need them.

hapagirl
11-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Very very cool! I think I'm going to try just a single set of Options first to see how I like them, then if get the set if I :heart: them :)

Thank you all for your candid reviews!

SandraEllen
11-09-2006, 08:18 AM
SandraEllen - what other brands have you used in the past? What makes you like the Options so much? I'm just curious :)

I've used Takumi bamboo (circular, straight, dpn), susan bates, addi turbo, and some other plastic straights. Mostly whatever you can buy from JoAnn or Michaels.

Why do I :heart: my KP Options? They are so smooth and fast and I have all the needle sizes I could want in one convenient package. The cords are super flexible so you don't have to fight with it. I never realized how mush I was fighting the cable on the other circs I was using until I used the addi turbos for the first time.

The Options are very similar to the Addi Turbos, but cost a TON less and they are interchangeable.

skNYC
11-09-2006, 08:26 AM
I have a set of Takumi Clover bamboo needles, Addis circular, Denise interchangable set. I use mostly the addis, but if the yarn gets to slippery, I'll switch to Clover. I use Denise when I HAD TO put a project on hold and start something else and need extra needles of the same size. I love the Denise but since I bought a bunch of addis and I am lazy to hook up the cords...

kemp
11-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Denise :heart: :heart: :heart: