PDA

View Full Version : Buying yarn thru mail order

mimi
11-07-2006, 09:18 PM
I see that a lot of you knitters order through KnitPicks and other web options. Do you order only yarns you are familiar with? What if you get the yarn and you don't like it? I have been limiting myself only to lys and Michaels etc. where I can feel the yarn before I buy it. What are the benefits of buying off the web?

Jan in CA
11-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Buying off the internet is usually cheaper, but you have to take into account shipping. Some sites give you free shipping if you buy a specific amount.

Buying through Knitpicks or sites that sell their own branded yarn is a gamble, but you can do a forum search and if you don't find info you can ask about it. Most of the time someone has used it and can give you their opinions.

If you find a yarn you like at Michaels, Joanns, or your LYS you can also do a search on the internet and see if you can get it cheaper. Sometimes it's not worth it when you factor in shipping and wait time, but sometimes it's a great way to do it.

At the top of the forum you'll see little banners for various yarn stores. If you click through them Amy (forum owner) gets a kick back so that's a good way to do it if you shop through one of them. :)

Ingrid
11-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Variety and price. I've only had one bad experience with yarn not appearing to be the color I thought it was, and I'm working on that now.

I've found that web prices are significantly less than my LYS, anyway. If I really want to feel something, I can check it out there and then order it.

There are lots of people here who have used a huge variety of yarns, so you can always ask for opinions before you order. I've learned about many of the yarns I've come to love because I saw someone post about it here. My LYS doesn't carry some that have become my favorites, and the recommendations that I've gotten here have always been good ones.

DragonTush
11-07-2006, 09:49 PM
I can't find a Canadian site that will ship at no cost and ordering from the US is too pricey once I add in the exchange and the shipping costs, as most won't deliver to Canada and waive the shipping no matter how much I spend. I stick to my LYstores and Michaels.

Holey moley run on sentence...

projectgal
11-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Knitpicks has color cards that are relatively inexpensive. They give you a chance to feel the yarn and match colors. Sometimes I'll order just one skein of a knitpicks yarn to have for "reference" and swatches.

suzeeq
11-08-2006, 02:45 AM
I thought elann.com is Canadian, or ships with very little duty. Same with Knitpicks....

sue

Calamintha
11-08-2006, 04:55 PM
I order most of my yarn off the web because my LYS has a very poor selection. Oftentimes I order something that I haven't used before. I have not been disappointed too often because I pay attention to yarn recommendations from other people. Once in awhile I get something that I don't like or the color is much different from what I thought it was going to be but usually the prices are so much lower that it works out.

I have learned not to impulse buy. I used to do a lot of that from Elann but finally broke myself of it. I don't care for Knitpicks yarn though I prefer Elann's house brands.

kemp
11-09-2006, 11:28 AM
I can't find a Canadian site that will ship at no cost and ordering from the US is too pricey once I add in the exchange and the shipping costs, as most won't deliver to Canada and waive the shipping no matter how much I spend. I stick to my LYstores and Michaels.

Holey moley run on sentence...

have you tried woolneedlework.com in Canada?

felted-bag
11-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Have you tried Karp Styles (http://www.karpstyles.com/) in Canada?