PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun!

nonny2t
11-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Knit for others, versus knit for you? I have never completed anything for myself. What about the rest of you, are you :present: knitters or do you knit more for yourself?

Also, what is the dumbest thing you ever knitted or maybe the dumbest looking thing you ever knitted? :?? :shrug:

For me, it was the one time I started something for myself, a nice long tunic sweater. I had fallen in love with this Paton yarn and bought a scad to make myself this sweater. I am a very large lady and when I finished the back, YE GADS :shock: , I would have looked like the largest fuzzy pumpkin in the world! I still have it and the rest of the yarn so I will decide what I want to make with it someday, but I know it won't be something for me to wear! :rofl:

Faye

mwedzi
11-08-2006, 09:30 AM
I knit and crochet more for myself, cuz I know that *I'll* appreciate it. Also, I don't have to feel the pressure of being perfect. I'm perfectly okay living with my knitting/crocheting mistakes, but if I give something to others, I want it to be as close to perfect as I can make it.

That being said, I am in the midst of serious xmas knitting now. We'll see the reactions from the family for their gifts.

janelanespaintbrush
11-08-2006, 10:27 AM
So far, I've mainly been knitting for myself. The primary reason is that I haven't gained enough confidence to feel entirely comfortable sharing with others yet, though there have been a few exceptions. That said, I do plan to make a lot of knitted gifts for Christmas (some already done - yay!), but we'll see whether I chicken out when it comes to actually giving them away. ;)

I feel fairly comfortable knitting for DH, though I've completed fewer projects for him than for myself mainly because he's a good 15" taller than me, making garments for him considerably larger and thus more time-intensive. (His body is also not as available as mine to try things on to check for fit, which slows down the knitting process.)

spooky
11-08-2006, 10:55 AM
I have only knitted one thing for myself.... My Pair of CLOGS!!! Does that count as 2 things??? :teehee: Everything else has been for other people. Last year I knitted everyone a Christmas present and was a bit crushed when the guys were like, "Oh". So, this year I only knit for the girls for Christmas.

The dumbest thing I have ever knitted was when I was attempting to knit a candleflame shawl. What was I thinking???? LOL. I just coulndn't concentrate that long with out messing up and it ended up looking like a big blob of mistakes. After ripping it a zillion times I ended up making a branching out scarf.

I have hopes and dreams for someday knitting more for myself, but it seems like every time I turn around I know another person that is about to have a baby.

rebecca
11-08-2006, 10:56 AM
I have to say that I knit more for others, but I'm trying to turn that around and knit for me! LOL, I've tried to do it this past year, but still ended up knitting more for others, which is enjoyable, but now I'm ready to knit for me...and my hubby, of course!
I think my 1st pair of socks were goofy looking...one is large and loose, the other tight and small, LOL!

cgd
11-08-2006, 11:27 AM
I haven't done much for myself. I've only gotten to keep a hat and scarf. I'm knitting and crocheting Christmas presents, plus there was a slew of birthdays from Aug.-Dec. that I also made gifts for. After the first of the year I want to try doing a tank top or simple vest or short-sleeved sweater.

CarmenIbanez
11-08-2006, 01:00 PM
I've just recently started knitting more for me. I make special gifts now and then for others still, but mostly me. Like someone already said, "I'll appreciate it". :-)

Jan in CA
11-08-2006, 02:04 PM
I've made myself a sweater and scarf. Most everything else I've done has been for charity with a few gifts for family/friends thrown in. I enjoy the process of knitting as well as the product. :heart:

aineepooh1
11-08-2006, 04:06 PM
I knit for others. I rarely knit for myself. I agree when I do knit for others I feel pressured to makes sure it's as perfect as possible. If such a thing exists!! I am knitting something up and then someone else comes up and says What are you making...? Will you make me one too??
:wall: :wall:
I do enjoy knitting others I just need to try to knit for mysellf some time!! :roflhard: :cheering:

CreativeCreature
11-08-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm rather new in the knitting world but I have no plans for anything for myself thus far. Making a scarf for my sister ATM and plans for scarf for one of my kids. Hats for people (on DPNs for practice) in the near future. Plus I plan to knit something or other for friends' babies due in the spring. But nothing for me. Not even sure what I'd make for myself. I don't really wear scarves or hats. Not advanced enough for gloves or socks. Sweaters are beyond my abilites right now too. Maybe I'll make a bag for myself. That I'd use!

Interesting question!

Stiney
11-08-2006, 05:10 PM
I have three FO's. One for me, one for a friend, and one (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=252597&highlight=#252597) that is never going to be spoken of again.

Actually, besides the mistakes, it's not so bad. I was upset because there was an error in the pattern, and so it didn't look like the picture.

On the needles, I have two presents and two for me. So I guess I'm about half and half right now. I want to make things for people, but only if I know they'll wear them. Like, I'd love to make G-pa a hat, but he wouldn't wear a knit hat. (When he was younger, his head got too hot. Now that he's old and bald, he still won't wear them.) And mom doesn't use hats or scarves. So I have to learn socks so I can make them stuff. I need to knit for my sisters while they're still young enough that anything is cool, as long as it's from Tistine.[/url]

Eloewien
11-08-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm working on my second sweater for me. Well, it's the Annie Modesitt Ribbed lace corset... which I just love! Then I'm doing the Dragones shawl for me and I've made a few pairs of socks for myself. All my other projects have gone elsewhere. I've got at least a dozen projects almost done for christmas! Mom's sweater is about halfway done, MIL's scarf and SWS pillow are done, her socks are almost done. I'm also doing knitted ornaments for lots of people this year. Nothing fancy, just using the red heart christmas yarn and making stuffed stars. It works :) It's also a break from the insanity of the lacework.
I finally started making stuff for me when I saw the Stitch Diva Bodice- I just had to have it!

Laura

trollgirl
11-08-2006, 05:36 PM
I think I knit for myself more. I've made myself two hats, and am working on a scarf and a pair of mittens. I've also made a hat for my boyfriend, and one for another friend of mine. I enjoy knitting for other people but I don't really like being pressured into knitting for them. I want to think about something they would like, and just make it and give it to them.

Right now I'm getting requests and it's slightly annoying because I feel obliged to get to it. I'm still a new knitter and I want to try new things and work on my skills gradually, not feel like I have to churn out gifts for someone's cousin's baby. Yes, I have gotten requests for knitted stuff for the new baby of someone I don't know, when I am trying to knit something for the baby of someone I do know. And I have given someone stuff and one of the first things said to me was "So, what are you making for me next?" It gets tiring. I prefer knitting for myself. No pressure if it turns out weird. I get to experiment and if I don't wear it, I don't feel as bad.

dustinac
11-08-2006, 06:24 PM
I knit more for others.. really for my kids more than anyone else.. I was suppose to finish 2 sweaters I started for myself and not do any knitting for Christmas.. but I got all guilty and started knitting small things for Christmas gifts... like bath mitts and slipper socks... :teehee:

janelanespaintbrush
11-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Right now I'm getting requests and it's slightly annoying because I feel obliged to get to it. I'm still a new knitter and I want to try new things and work on my skills gradually, not feel like I have to churn out gifts for someone's cousin's baby. Yes, I have gotten requests for knitted stuff for the new baby of someone I don't know, when I am trying to knit something for the baby of someone I do know. And I have given someone stuff and one of the first things said to me was "So, what are you making for me next?" It gets tiring.

This is something I've done successfully in the past: offer to teach them how to knit so they can make the project themselves. Don't forget to mention how much time and $ it involves. They will probably back off, and if they don't, you'll have a new knitting buddy.

Liliyarn
11-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I was a :present: knitter, but have changed my ways. I'm moving on to more complicated projects and I doubt anyone will *really* appreciate them. Plus, I think a knitter in winter time with out so much as a scarf is just sad. I'm making a cabled noro scarf just for wittle ole me :teehee:

mari_13
11-09-2006, 11:15 AM
I mainly knit for my son. He's the reason I started knitting while I was pregnant. He's only 5 months so he doesn't really know I made it - even though he's entranced by my needles! I've only made myself a hat and am working on scarf. I'm planning on making my mom, DH and BF something for Christmas but I agree that people don't know how much goes into knitting!

janelanespaintbrush
11-09-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm planning on making my mom, DH and BF something for Christmas but I agree that people don't know how much goes into knitting!

:rofl: My poor little brain got itself confused again! When I saw "DH and BF" I had to do a :noway:. Then I was like, :doh:, remembering that BF can be "best friend" instead of "boyfriend." For a moment I thought you might have a very nontraditional marriage. :teehee: I've seen some people use BFF for "best female friend."