PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite pattern book?

skNYC
11-08-2006, 02:17 PM
I know many you own some really good pattern books. I bought a DB Jr. Knits, and I love the patterns in there. I also bought a used one of "Glorious Knits", but I am not going to get into that for a while. Now I get to love designer patterns. I want to buy more, you know the shopping addict syndrom ;)

Tell me, what is/are your favorite pattern book/s and why? I get most of the stuff according to your taste and you have not let me down so far.

Spit it out! :)

rebecca
11-08-2006, 03:45 PM
OH my, I have so many...but, the ones that I really love and use most often are Simply Knitted Socks and Scarf Style.

skNYC
11-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Rebecca:
You are lucky I am not your neighbor! :teehee:

aineepooh1
11-08-2006, 03:55 PM
I have a thin catalogue book from Bernat for beginners. It has 3 different styles of hats and I have made my first hats from them. I like it a lot. I also have stitch n bitch which has good instructions and patterns and lots of humor in it!! :happydance:

skNYC
11-08-2006, 04:12 PM
"stitch and bitch" sounds like a fun book ;)

skNYC
11-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Nobody else has pattern books?

Lyndalm
11-08-2006, 06:28 PM
I've made a hat and a pair of gloves from Fun and Funky Knits (I think that's the name). It was really good on instructions for knitting with beads.

Lynda M
1992-2006 Homer

nadja la claire
11-08-2006, 06:30 PM
I really like Scarf Style and Wrap Style also a friend of mine found this really cool book called Traditional Island Knitting by Pam Dawson at a flea market. I haven't made anything from these books yet but I love the photos and the patterns and in the Island Knitting book not only does Ms. Dawson give wonderful patterns and but she also gives the history of the knitting and the designs on each particular Island.

Nadja xxx

MrTea
11-08-2006, 07:13 PM
"stitch and bitch" sounds like a fun book ;)

Everyone seems to love that book. I bought it, not really impressed.

All the books I've bought have one or two good looking patterns , but the rest is garbage.

I still haven't found one book that I really really like.

Also, a lot of pattern books are specific to a certain type of project. That makes it even harder to make a suggestion.

janelanespaintbrush
11-08-2006, 07:29 PM
A few that haven't been mentioned yet...

For sweaters I like Knitting from the Top by Barbara Walker and Sweater Design in Plain English by Maggie Righetti. Both are really dated-looking but the underlying principles are solid. They are not so much pattern books as much as guides on how to construct different types of sweaters.

For socks, I like Sensational Knitted Socks. It's a bit more structured than the books above, but gives lots of options for designing your own. If you like that kind of format, you'd probably enjoy Ann Budd's books as well. She has one book that's just basic patterns for lots of different things, and another one just for sweaters.

zkimom
11-08-2006, 08:42 PM
My fave is turning out to be Last Minute Knitted Gifts. The patterns are fun and easy and the instructions are written clearly so that even I (the knitting instruction challenged one that I am) can understand them.

I've made quite a few projects from this book and am happy with the results.

Best,
Susan

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-08-2006, 08:48 PM
I have to agree with last minute knitted gifts! I have over 40 knitting and pattern books, and I turn to that one most often.
A close second is sensational knitted socks.

skNYC
11-09-2006, 12:22 AM
good, good, good! Keep'em coming ! I am writing down all of them on my book and then I will go on a shopping spree...

DreamWeaver
11-09-2006, 12:30 AM
I absolutely :heart: "The Yarn Girls Guid to Beyond the Basics". It has lots of fun sweater patterns, shirt patterns, and scarf and hat patterns. It's a wee bit expensive but it's really worth it!

stitchywitch
11-09-2006, 02:31 AM
The books I've used the most are Scarf Style, Wrap style, and Last minute Knitted Gifts. I'm really in love with"Knit two together," but I haven't had time to make anything from it yet.

Gina
11-09-2006, 04:20 AM
My favorites are the Rowan books. I have several and I use them a lot.
If you like fair isle, The Art of Fair Isle Knitting by Ann Feitelson is just wonderful and a must have.

Happy knitting!
:waving:

skNYC
11-09-2006, 08:33 AM
I wish the selling sites would display all patterns so I know exactly what they have inside. :(

janelanespaintbrush
11-09-2006, 09:02 AM
I wish the selling sites would display all patterns so I know exactly what they have inside. :(

I don't like buying books without knowing what's inside so I usually go to my local library's website to see whether I can borrow it first. Amazingly enough, they have what I'm looking for (or can get it through interlibrary loan) a good 90% of the time. I've been able to review a whole bunch of knitting books that way. I know one is worth buying if I miss it a lot after I return it.

You probably already know this, but for some of their books, Amazon has a feature where you can "look inside." It's usually limited as to how many pages you can see, but at least you would get an idea. You could always (gasp) go to your local B&M book and yarn shops to browse their selections too. ;)

zkimom
11-09-2006, 10:36 AM
You can search inside many books on Amazon.com and I've also found that KnitPicks displays several pages from the books they sell. I also like to test drive books at the library.

Best,
Susan

mwedzi
11-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Generally, I find fewer patterns in books that I like than in magazines, which are 1/2 the price. I have a few pattern books because they're enjoyable to look at, but I don't plan on making a lot from them and some I may never make anything at all from. I prefer VogueKnitting and Interweave Knits magazines.