PDA

View Full Version : Does this happen to you?

rebecca
11-08-2006, 03:38 PM
I've been meaning to ask ya'll about this for some time, but, alas...my memory stinks!
So, while I am resting my eyes from knitting I will ask....

Do your eyes get tired and blurry (even with glasses) after you knit for an hour or 2?
Mine do...with my glasses. This tired/blurriness with knitting is the main reason I broke down and got my glasses (however long ago it was..not a year) but it continues to happen. I am going to get larger frames, I thought that perhaps it is because I have to hold my eyes a certain way to see out of the bottom portion of my glasses, this is a tiny area because I opted for small frames...I now know better, these are my 1st glasses and they are progression bifocals.

So...does this happen to any of you?!

candicane
11-08-2006, 03:42 PM
I take my glasses off to knit, however they are not bifocals. I do find myself turning my head at funny angles if I try to knit with my glasses on. I have very small frames/lenses. Have you tried some magnifying glasses instead of prescription lenses for knitting?

Candice

rebecca
11-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Yes, I used magnifying glasses before I got my glasses and the same thing happens.
I'm thinking about getting one of those magnifying lamps.

dustinac
11-08-2006, 03:56 PM
yep mine will after a few hrs... and if I'm working on something I have to pay really close attention to they go crazy.. esp my left it jumps like crazy.... I need to get my eyes checked again (wore glasses since 4th grade) I think my Astigmatism in the left eye has gotten worse... when I first got these glasses I didn't have the jumpy and blurriness as much... it stinks not being able to knit as long as you want to :teehee:

CreativeCreature
11-08-2006, 04:04 PM
I don't normally wear glasses but since I've started knitting I've had to buy an inexpensive pair of reading glasses to use while I knit. Otherwise I get a headache behind my eyes. I never wear glasses otherwise though. I love knitting but I'm afraid I'll end up being blind-ish in a year or two because of it. LOL

janelanespaintbrush
11-08-2006, 04:27 PM
I've noticed temporary blurriness when I look up after knitting for extended periods of time too. I wouldn't be surprised if this problem is related to age because I seem to remember learning in school that our eyes' ability to focus decreases as our lenses lose elasticity over time.

SandraEllen
11-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Yes, I used magnifying glasses before I got my glasses and the same thing happens.
I'm thinking about getting one of those magnifying lamps.

My grandma always used to use one of those magnifying lamps. That was like 20 years ago so she wasn't that old then...

My problem is that i tend to lose depth perception when i knit for too long.

Ingrid
11-08-2006, 05:02 PM
I've noticed temporary blurriness when I look up after knitting for extended periods of time too. I wouldn't be surprised if this problem is related to age because I seem to remember learning in school that our eyes' ability to focus decreases as our lenses lose elasticity over time.

I think it is an aging thing. When I read or am looking at a pattern closely when I knit I can't see anything clearly when I look up. I don't wear glasses, though.

mwedzi
11-08-2006, 05:39 PM
I haven't noticed this. :?? But then again, I have a really short attention span, so I never knit for more than a few minutes straight without looking up or looking around or looking at the TV or petting the bunnies.

Mulderknitter
11-08-2006, 07:35 PM
i too have noticed this, but I try to make sure I have adequate light that isn't too harsh and bright, but is right by what I'm working on so I don't have to squint and strain so much

Julie
11-08-2006, 10:51 PM
You know what's funny -- it doesn't happen when I knit, but it happens when I spin on my wheel. Maybe because I don't have to look at my knitting so much, but I do have to pay close attention to my spinning. It doesn't happen when I spindle spin though. :shrug:

rebecca
11-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks, guys!

LoAnnie
11-09-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm not exactly old, 25, so I don't think it's an age thing. I think it's a problem of focusing your eye close-up for a long period of time. I don't think our eyes are made for that. I think our eyes are better suited to looking at our surroundings for longer periods of time. Eye strainf ro me is the same when i knit or look at the computer too long.
LoAnnie

Chel
11-09-2006, 10:58 AM
I have the same thing happen-but I notice it is better or worse depending on the fiber I am knitting with. Alpaca just kills me... cotton not so much.

nonny2t
11-09-2006, 11:06 AM
I am about as nearsighted as you can be without being blind! I wear single vision contact lenses and use reading glasses to knit, but don't really have the blurry problem. I DO have a problem with close up stuff even with my heavy duty reading glasses. My solution to that is I take out my contacts and knit "blind" so to speak because I have great close up vision. I do this to do seams and such where I can't see where I should be putting the darn needles. Ok, so now when you seen one of my FO's and are thinking, "Boy, this gal really stinks at knitting," just chalk it up to the fact I took out my contacts to do close up stuff and forgot to put them back in......... :roflhard: :rofl:

Faye

Lyndalm
11-09-2006, 11:09 AM
When my eyes get like that, I put "natural tears" eyedrops in. I have dry eyes anyway, and this sympton frequently happens to me. Putting in the drops really helps.

HTH
Lynda M
1992-2006 Homer

Stiney
11-09-2006, 11:14 AM
I am about as nearsighted as you can be without being blind! I wear single vision contact lenses and use reading glasses to knit, but don't really have the blurry problem. I DO have a problem with close up stuff even with my heavy duty reading glasses. My solution to that is I take out my contacts and knit "blind" so to speak because I have great close up vision. I do this to do seams and such where I can't see where I should be putting the darn needles. Ok, so now when you seen one of my FO's and are thinking, "Boy, this gal really stinks at knitting," just chalk it up to the fact I took out my contacts to do close up stuff and forgot to put them back in......... :roflhard: :rofl:

Faye

If you can knit without your contacts, then your not as blind as I am. I'm so nearsighted that I can't even read without my glasses. By the time the book is close enough for me to see it clearly, it's so close that I'm going cross-eyed.

I never get to knit for long enough to get blurry vision. I'm like mwedzi; short attention span, plus no time.

janelanespaintbrush
11-09-2006, 11:22 AM
If you can knit without your contacts, then your not as blind as I am. I'm so nearsighted that I can't even read without my glasses. By the time the book is close enough for me to see it clearly, it's so close that I'm going cross-eyed.

Me too! Except my astigmatism makes it hard to get close enough for the text to ever be clear.

Doublereeder2
11-09-2006, 11:23 AM
I find that if the light is not good, my eyes get blurry too. As an over 50 contact lens wearer with very poor vision, I also use reading glasses to magnify.