PDA

View Full Version : Used to be a Scarf and now it's a Bag

LoAnnie
11-08-2006, 07:52 PM
I started a scarf to learn how to knit, but I didn't reallize that the cast on row is not the same width as the final knitted item. So I folded it over, stitched up the side and made a handle. This was also a lesson in how much knitting stretches. It's in the dreaded Homespun, not the best yarn to teach yourself on.

Mod Squad was here (photo resize)

Amber
11-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Very cute! And, very resourceful of you to turn a scarf into a purse! I like it!

rebecca
11-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Lovely...you are very ingenious :cheering:

suzeeq
11-09-2006, 02:00 AM
Always figure that the cast on will measure about 80% of what that number of stitches knits up to.

sue

hapagirl
11-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Great job!! As a fellow newbie knitter, I'm intimidated :)

nonny2t
11-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Great job and the handbag will be handy for you too! Great use of a "went wrong" project. Though I have known how to knit for 40 years I consider myself a newbie because I am a coward. I have knitted a couple things in the Homespun and boy you aren't kidding. When it comes to learning this is a horrible yarn to learn with because it unravels easily, "catches" on your needles easy and boy does it snag.

Faye

aineepooh1
11-09-2006, 02:49 PM
How ingenious.. My first scarves did the same thing. one end was wider than the other. i didn't realize it unitl i was done (and too tired) to start over!! :cheering: :cheering:

Rennagayle
11-09-2006, 03:20 PM
That is one of the best looking beginners projects I've ever seen! :thumbsup:

I actually like working with Homespun. I made my very first scarves holding two strands together and using large needles. My dd lives in Germany, and e-mailed me just this morning to tell me how much she's enjoying the scarf I knit her, 'cause it keeps her so warm, and all her friends want one just like it. I was concerned that it wouldn't be that warm for her, being acrylic with no wool in it, but she says it's very warm. :P

suzeeq
11-09-2006, 03:36 PM
I find soft fluffy acrylic very warm; somtimes too warm.

sue

LoAnnie
11-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Thank you all very much for the complements. My feelings for Homespun are tainted by the fact that I was trying to learn on it. I kept splitting the yarn and since I knit tightly the yarn kept bunching. Everyone likes my bag though. It has some negitive energy though from my frustration. I need to line it because when I put things in it, it stretches out.

LoAnnie

sop 1
11-09-2006, 10:48 PM
I think you did a marvelous job transfoming the scarf into the bag!! :cheering: I too agree about Homespun. I can't stand it. I have mentioned several times before on this forum the story of my Homespun cardigan that turned into a car bra!!!!!!!!
Susan the Sop 1 in NC

PS I didn't re-do the car bra into anything except a ball at the bottom of a closet!

suzeeq
11-10-2006, 12:51 AM
You could probably do a small afghan with it.... ;) It likes large needles, btw, not the size on the label gauge.

sue

PurlyGyrl
11-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Oh, that's cool! :thumbsup: The works GREAT as a bag. You are very clever. I don't mind working with Homespun--it can be a pain--but I like look. Like a few others said, Homespun is very WARM. My mother---ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhh :hiding: crocheted (YES, THE DREADED C-WORD!) :hiding: me a poncho from Homespun and its like wearing a bed spread around--VERY toasty :hot: