PDA

View Full Version : OT: Do you have cats?

HamburgKnitter
11-10-2006, 05:49 AM
Knitting and cats seem to go together somehow, don't they? :cheering:

I have three very spoiled cats: Tristan (almost 19), Henry (approx. 7) and Jasmine (approx. 5).

Tristan is a purebred bombay that I got from a breeder. He was a "reject" because he has a little bit of grey fur under his chin...so the breeder needed to "get rid of him quickly" at only six weeks of age. :!!!: I wasn't looking for another cat at the time, but took him before the breeder did something bad to him.... I've had him for half my life (!) and he's very old and frail now, with Chronic Renal Failure. But he's still happy, so we hope that he will be with us for awhile longer!!

Henry was a stray that showed up at my door 5 years ago, sick and battered up. He still has the ripped up ears that show his wild past, but he's turned into a pampered housecat and enjoys his life of luxury.

Jasmine I adopted from the animal shelter three years ago. She had been dumped on the side of the street with three kittens. The kittens found homes fast, but she was at the shelter for months. I don't know why, she's a beautiful, affectionate, wonderful cat. She and Henry have fallen in love and are inseperable. :heart:

beckyrhae
11-10-2006, 06:18 AM
We have one cat in the house. Her name is Jester and she loved me once upon a time ago... Then I brought home the dogs and she became my daughters cat. LOL

SandraEllen
11-10-2006, 08:17 AM
My cat is my baby. I totally spoil him, and in return he ignores my knitting and my yarn.

candicane
11-10-2006, 10:18 AM
We have two kitties. Wednesday is a black and white alley cat. She and I have lived in 5 different places together. She is 16 and still pretty energetic. She had siezures about 5 years ago and is on a daily dose of phenobarbital. She is affectionate with me, and tolerates others.

Georgie is 2 and a breeder reject. He is a Devon Rex and does not have "show quality" fur. (Think perm gone bad.) I like to think of him as my little hot water bottle. He is super affectionate and sleeps under the covers with his head on my pillow. He is very high energy and playful (and sometimes just annoying).

Candice

knit-errant
11-10-2006, 10:40 AM
I have four.

Freyja and Frigga are sisters we got from the Humane Society; Freyja's black, Frigga's a tortie. They've got very different personalities. Frigga is very snuggly and lovey and a perpetual kitten. Freyja is more serious and shy, and tries to be "momma cat" to everybody in the house; when we first got them, Frigga had a bad upper respiratory infection, and Freyja would bring her catfood in bed -- we even saw Freyja try to pick Frigga up by the scruff and take her to the water bowl once! Freyja brings me cat food and toys in bed when I'm sick too.

Our third cat is Lucky (my daughter named her), a medium fur brown tabby. She and her litter were abandoned in an apartment in my old complex; the maintenence guys kicked the kittens out and they were left to fend for themselves until some neighbors of mine and I found homes for all of them. Lucky is probably our sweetest cat, always happy and purring... and thinks she's a dog. She loves to play fetch with those big twist ties you get on appliance cords.

Last we've got Luna, another Humane Society kitty. She's white with nearly red copper eyes, and deaf. She's the trouble maker of the bunch -- possibly because she's deaf, and so hard to discipline. She thinks it's fun to be sprayed with water, can't hear you yell at her because she's deaf, and we wouldn't smack her. She is really aware of visual clues though, so the best way we've found is to wrap a towel around my head like I've gotten out of the shower -- if I've got my hackles raised, I must be mad at her! She's also the biggest danger to my yarn and unfortunately, the more expensive it is, the more she likes it -- alpaca, wool, angora, silk... she'll steal it right out of my hands and run away with it! She couldn't care less about acrylics, nylons, cottons...

nonny2t
11-10-2006, 10:44 AM
How about the story behind your ca'ts names? I have a very chubby tabby named Butterscotch because he is butterscotch color. I was told it was a sissy name for a male cat and I am beginning to think that B is rebelling against the fact I didn't name him Spike or something!

Secksiebrat
11-10-2006, 11:30 AM
When I was 2 a stray female cat, of which I named nina (I watched seaseme street in those days, but no one knows where I came up with that name), she came and slept with me and was my cat. She later had kittens and left just as fast as she came. She left me my grover (gobert, I called him.. from seasame street). Grover was born 2 weeks before my brother, so my parents had my brother and I had grover. He lived to be 16 and after high school we had to put him down due to seizures and he was no longer able to keep himself clean (doctor's didn't know why, just that he was older).

So I married my hubby, who hated cats with a passion and finally convinced him that not ALL cats are bad. We picked out Ming Lei from a local rescue group. She is part syamese, part flame tail. She has the most beautiful blue eyes (like my hubby and son). We have hard her for over a year now. She just turned 2 in September (same with our son).

Ming is very jealous of my knitting or reading. She has never taken or stolen any of it, but she will try to climb up on my chest to get between me and my knitting. She loves to cuddle with me and sleeps at the bottom of my side of the bed (my allergies wont let her sleep on my pillow next to my face, which she would prefer). When I'm gone she sleeps in bed, on my side next to my hubby. She always purs and she is WONDERFUL with my son. He's 2 and very rough with her. She's never hurt him, even though sometimes I think he would deserve it.

So right now we have one, I hope that after we build our house and it's much bigger, I can "rescue" another one! :)

Wow that turned out to be long, sorry!

~danielle~

cara
11-10-2006, 11:45 AM
I have one kitty, Tia (Brigantia) which is the celtic name of a goddess who was 'one cool b!tch' so it suited this little puss to a tee. :) Tia is 8 years old and is such sook. She is a One CAT household kind of kitty. though I would love to get her a companion, I think she would disown me and live under the bed for the rest of forever. *sigh*.

She loves our baby girl who is 9 months. kitty was her first word actually. teee she says. hehe. She loves her kitty! :) I'm sure that Tia won't be so impressed once Marie-France can pick her up though! ha!

spooky
11-10-2006, 11:48 AM
How about the story behind your ca'ts names? I have a very chubby tabby named Butterscotch because he is butterscotch color. I was told it was a sissy name for a male cat and I am beginning to think that B is rebelling against the fact I didn't name him Spike or something!

LOL!!! When I was a little girl... I think I was 6.... I got my first cat of my own. He was just a kitten then and he was grey. At the time my favorite book was about a rabbit named Buttercup and that is what I named him after. My mom kept trying to talk me into naming him Smokey but I wouldn't budge on my name choice. After a year Buttercup became a huge fat cat.

One time my parents went out and my brother and I had a babysitter. Our babysitter knew that we had a cat and that he had to be in the house before night came. I remember her calling for Buttercup and this big grey cat jumped on the porch. Well, she kept calling and calling. I told her that was Buttercup and I don't think that she believed me because she kept calling for him lol. I guess cell phones would have been handy back then. She told my parents after they came home that she was expecting a yellow cat to come to her.

I have had a cat named Spike too. Spike was awsome!! He got that name because he reminded me of my old neighbor's dog that was marked just like him. Spike was a big cuddly teddy bear. He didn't fit his name either.

My most recent cat is named Felix. My son Mickey named him. I wanted to name him Gizmo or Mooky, but just like when I was 6 years old he wouldn't budge on his name choice either. Felix was named after a huricane that we should have in 2007. He found the huricane list and decided that was the best one.

I guess everyone has a funny story on how their cats got their names. Heck, even some kids have funny stories on how they got their names. I named mine after a cartoon mouse :roflhard: !!!

RachelJean
11-10-2006, 12:09 PM
We don't have a kitty right now. Ours died about 2 years ago. I would like to get another cat some day, but the dog we have now doesn't really like cats. :shrug:

knitaddict
11-10-2006, 12:32 PM
We have only one cat now. Her name is Melody Joy. She got her first name because she likes to 'sing' all the time... ALL the time lol. Her middle name is a bit longer of a story. Shortly before dh & I got married we picked up a kitten that we named Maegan Leigh. At her first vet appt, it was discovered that she had FIP, advanced stages, and we had to have her put to sleep. I didn't think I would ever recover as she was the first animal I'd had to put to sleep and I loved her *so* much.

About a month or so after our honeymoon we were on our way to rent a movie. Right before we walked out the door I noticed an envelope that had fallen behind a piece of furniture. When I fished it out & opened it I discovered a check from my great-aunt in a wedding card. What a lovely surprise!!!

Right next door to the video store was a pet store that we always walked through after grabbing a video. Nothing was different this time... only there were some kittens there. And there was this tiny little kitten with a large head who was 8 weeks and still smaller than my wallet. She cuddled right up to me and was so affectionate. Dh looked at the price tag and, lo & behold, it was the exact amount of the check my great aunt had sent us. We brought Melody home with us that day. I told dh on the way home "I never thought I'd feel joy like this over a kitty again after Maegan" and thus her middle name came to be.

She is my sweet Melody Joy. :heart:

snowbear
11-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Cassie was picked out at a shelter due to me being alone for the first time in over 40 yrs.. My daughter had marrried, and her husband had finished boot camp (married before he left). So... I was to have something w/ me . Alll 3 of us went to pick her out.. she was at the back of the cage.. but something kept me going back to her cage... Jon opened the cage for me and brought her out... (He's 6'3", and I'm 5'6") I held her and she looked at me for a minute, the procedded to rub her scent all over my face and snuggle. that was it. She came home and has never had an accident or ruined anything.

When my granddaughter was 4 days old they flew home so all the grandparents could see her. (They were in Virginia). My daughter, Jacklynn was trying to soothe her,( the baby) when Cassie jumped up and meowed very loudly at my daughter, Jacklynn told Cassie I'm trying ok? Cassie took her paw , ( not declawed by the way) and gently rubbed my granddaughter's cheek. All 3 adults held their breath... Angel, (really my granddaughter's name) calmed down.. Needless to say she will always have a home.

Cassie had 3 hours left before she was to be put down. She may have sensed this, because she has always been so loving. She's on my desk now, interupting me occasionaly demanding a pet or two. Then lets me get back to typing. lol

She was named after my son-in-law's family cat, a female version, lol It fits and she knows her name. Her coat is so soft and she is so friendly and playful. She sleeps on her side of the king size bed and will always have a pillow!

janelanespaintbrush
11-10-2006, 01:13 PM
When I first started visiting KH and used a picture of our kitty as my avatar, DH teased me because he thought it was just so stereotypical... of course when he saw all the other kitty avatars around the forum (and let's face it; there are quite a few), it just tickled him even more! ;)

Jan in CA
11-10-2006, 02:22 PM
We have two cats right now.

Marshmallow is a 15 yr old Ragdoll. Her name came from the fact that she looks like a toasted marshmallow. :teehee:
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/2670398-S.jpg

I guess technically the kittens name is Martini, BUT she rarely gets called that. More often it's monkey, monster, menace, etc.. :teehee:
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/101673250-S.jpg

SabrinaJL
11-10-2006, 03:07 PM
I have two cats (Stripes and Smokey). I just moved back in with my parents for a few months and my mom has two cats also (Annie and Jackass). So we have plenty o' kitties around here.

Stripes, Smokey and Annie all get along great, but Jackass is still being a brat. His name is Jackie but we call him Jackass because he's such a rotten creep. My mom is the only person he likes. He hisses and swipes at everyone else.

Chel
11-10-2006, 03:48 PM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h82/wanderlustdream/7d8086e4.jpg
Sadie Sophia Whisker-Nubbins (age 4) is my gentle girl. I call her my creamsicle cat. She loves to cuddle. I found her in a neighbors yard nearly dead. We nursed her back to health but had to keep her in a cage because Sydney was SO much bigger than her and played rough. While washing her through the bars of the cage, he inadvertently licked/nibbled her whiskers right off until nothing was left of them but little whisker nubbins.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h82/wanderlustdream/59b550c9.jpg
Sydney Sebastian (age 5) is my boy. He loves to head butt you and is the "talker" of the group. If I talk to him, he meows in response and sometimes we have a 5 minute conversation until he gets annoyed with my lack of fluency in Catspeak. I found him in a storage shed after he was abandoned by his mother. I had to pull everything out of the storage shed to get to him. When I reached for him he bit right through my finger. I was in LOVE. I put classical music on at night and J. S. Bach knocked him out so thats how Sydney became Sydney Sebastian.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h82/wanderlustdream/Hpim0185.jpg
Samara Rachel is my oldest kitty at the age of 10. She has never been what you world refer to as a gentle kitty but she has mellowed with age. She loves you bite your head. Seriously, you can not lay on the couch or bend over without her taking a chunk out of the top of your head.

I also have Darby Olivia Gray. She is the baby and only about 4 months old. What a little gray terror. Infinitely lovable though. I'll have to take pics of her when I get home.

spooky
11-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Oh Jan!! Marshmallow is soooooooooo cute!!!! :heart: :inlove: :heart:

DreamWeaver
11-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Here's a picture of my kitty:

=^.^=

Her name is roo-roo :roflhard:

Chrissie
11-10-2006, 04:55 PM
I have two cats, Chloe and Maya. Chloe is a 5-year old gray tabby that I took care of when she was a stray. I took her with me when I moved. Maya is a 4-year old orange/black tortoiseshell. I got her at the humane society.
:heart:

Annyka
11-10-2006, 05:16 PM
We were just adopted as cat parents, my boyfriend Michael left for work 2 weeks ago and then came back in a few moments later with a young cat in his arms -- she was cold and hungry, but didn't look like she'd spent her entire young life in the wild.

She clearly hated being here, so we've forced her into a life of captivity.

Michael named her Molly, which has morphed into Miss Molly or Princess Molly.

She doesn't care for yarn, except of course if it's my working yarn.

I had another cat who was born at the City Yard, and one of the police officers (I was a police dispatcher) gave her to me -- she used to get quite comfy on the back of recliner chairs. She's passed now, but her name was Dizzy. When she was a kitten, she chased her tail, and the day after I brought her home and I was still searching for a name for her, she did it, and then stopped and looked up at me, swooning, and I said 'You're such a dizzy kitty', and it stuck.

beckyrhae
11-10-2006, 06:16 PM
I forgot to post a picture of Jester Ann.

Vendie
11-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Here's my little girl, the namesake of my off-site blog fridaknits.com...she's also known as Monkey, Miss Monkers, Mooka, Chunky Monkey, Princess Francesca (on Safari)....she's got a bit of Siamese in her, and not sure what else. She doesn't look the least bit Siamese, but she sure talks like one.

jdee
11-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Do I have cats? Oh my, yes. I have 4 indoor only cats: Abby & Annie were farm cats that my aunt bottle fed, after they lost thier mother. When they were old enough to find homes, DH and I snagged them. Merlin and Morty were shelter cats we adopted.

We have several ferals, who have become indoor/outdoor cats. We're in the process of spaying/neutering the colony in the neighborhood. They have really come a long way from being scared of everything, to trusting my husband and me. They'll never be happy as indoor only cats, but they do like to come indoors for short visits. Of course this is only the cats who've been caught, fixed, vaccinated, and given a clean bill of health. I have a special place in my heart for these homeless babies. I wish I could save them all.

Liliyarn
11-10-2006, 07:56 PM
http://static.flickr.com/113/277919109_666463219f_o.jpg

Kashmir
Tortie Ragdoll
Indoor only 4 years old

So named because she is soooo soft and yes, I'm obsessed with fiber. So is she though. Wool is her favorite, but mohair is a close second.

Lisa Kay
11-10-2006, 08:02 PM
This is our 10-year-old cat Kelsey. She's our first baby, and does a good job of tolerating and/or ignoring the four human babies that have joined the family after her. ("You brought another one of THOSE home? I don't remember giving this my stamp of approval.") :teehee:

We found her at one of the local humane societies when she was a kitten.
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/182/dscn1558ru0.jpg

DianaM
11-11-2006, 01:04 PM
I have a black cat named Flea.

She's a two year old domestic, with glossy black fur and a little tuft of white on her chest.
She's a big cat, that likes eating yarn (has a soft spot for cotton), and will go from aloof to begging frenzy if I make pudding. A couple of times she's pawed the bowl of pudding from my hands.

Her name comes from her first couple of days with me. She was a tiny ball of black fluff that jumped around and bit me a lot. She earned the name, jejejeje.

DragonTush
11-11-2006, 01:20 PM
We have two cats and a dog.

We have Cosmo, (named after Kramer from Seinfeld and the first to not have a MASH name). He is a domestic short hair. Pure black except for like 7 white hairs on his chest. We got him from the humane society, when he was about a year old, after losing our last two cats within a year (Hotlips and Radar)He is about six yrs.

We also have Mango, who we just got as a kitten from The Meow Foundation ( a local cat rescue). We got him in June. He is not even a year yet and is already bigger than poor Cosmo (whom he never lets be). His name is self explanatory I think.

Cosmo
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h189/DragonTush/Cosmo.jpg

Mango
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h189/DragonTush/M.jpg[/img]

inkaholic
11-11-2006, 01:55 PM
I have one cat named Misty. She's almost 14 years old and still kickin, though after a recent injury she has a limp. She's an indoor-outdoor cat, and one night during a storm she got in a fight with another cat in our alleyway and a kayak fell and injured her leg. (One of my dogs was really heroic though and rushed out and saved her, then shepherded her into the house, licking the rain off of her fur.) The vet told us that she wouldn't survive surgery..so I guess she'll have the limp for awhile. She's never been too interested in my knitting, although she will sleep on it if it's near her. She's not much of a lap cat. My two dogs, Taya and Riley, are more interested in it, they always stare at the yarn and needles. Taya in particular seems to think it's fascinating. Riley will always try to sit in my lap when I'm knitting, which can get annoying since he constantly sniffs the yarn, then goes to sneeze all over it :doh: I've learned to move it out of the way now!

Shandeh
11-11-2006, 02:14 PM
I have only had one cat in my life, and it just came to us as a surprise. Our dog, a very gentle English Setter named Whitey, came to me one day and dropped a small animal at my feet. I looked at it, and thought that it was a mouse because it was so small. I noticed that it was still alive, so I took it inside to my mother, and she said that she didn't know what it was. It had a large cut on its side, so we took it to the vet.

The vet said that it was a kitten, and told us how to take care of the wound and what we should feed it. We nursed the kitten to health, then watched him grow. When he was learning to walk, he looked like a cowboy from behind because of his bowed legs, so we named him "Tex".

As he grew, he had gorgeous coloring. He looked a bit like a Siamese, but he was white with grey markings and beautiful blue eyes. He was very independent, and pretty much trained himself with our litterbox. He actually preferred to go outside when nature called.

Sometimes, I would come down the hall and he would "pounce" on me at the end of it, scaring me to death! He was a hoot.

One day, he disappeared. We never found out what happened to him. It was very odd how he just came into our lives one day, then went away the same way. We never got another cat, because no cat could ever be like Tex.

As I got older, I became VERY allergic to cats. If I get around one, even for a minute, I start sneezing and coughing. So, I can't have one now.

My husband LOVES cats, but he can't get one because of my allergy. He says that if I die before him, the first thing he will do is get a cat. :teehee:

Momma_Jo
11-11-2006, 09:25 PM
3....all females, all about 6 months apart. Two are still under a year old!

HamburgKnitter
11-12-2006, 06:26 AM
Everybody has such beautiful cats! :heart: Not that there's anything other than a beautiful cat, of course. :teehee:

Here are two of my three:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/JeannetteG/HPIM0579.jpg

Henry the "knitting assistant" is the black tuxedo.

Carol_OH
11-12-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm totally a cat person!

We have five cats (Oscar and Lucinda - named after the movie; Riley, named by my son after Kurt Russell's character in those disney movies; Rose (who's brother Jack died last year - they were also named by my son after the characters in Titanic) and Iris (named for the author Iris Murdoch).

We are bottle-feeding/weaning two little baby kitties at the moment. Id love to keep the little boy kittie, but not sure we really need six cats !

Love the kitties!