PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest knitting mistake you've made

stitchwitch
11-10-2006, 11:47 AM
With all the disheartened newbies lately, I thought it would be fun to see how many crazy knitting mistakes some of us have made. For some, it will be a trip down memory lane, for others it will simply be looking back at yesterday. :teehee:
I'll start, as mentioned in another thread, I bought yarn for a sweater at Joann's and failed to check dye lot. I now have a multicolored sweater. :roflhard: Sweater looks good from a distance but there's no way I can wear it out in public. :roflhard:

MrTea
11-10-2006, 11:53 AM
I once tried to substitute a bulky yarn for a DK yarn in a stuffed animal pattern. I got days into it before I realized that the end product was going to be life sized. :teehee:

That was pretty dumb. Live and learn.

Ingrid
11-10-2006, 12:00 PM
I did the exact same thing this summer. I knitted the sleeves first, then the body. I didn't notice that one of the sleeves was darker half-way up. It didn't show up until I took it outside in the sun to sew the sleeves on. It looked as if I had dunked my one arm in water up to the elbow. It was the bottom of the sleeve, too, so I had to do the whole thing over.

Another comedy of errors was a Fair Isle that I did. First, after several inches I realized that I hadn't followed the chart right and had to take that all out. Then I got up to the chest and just couldn't center the motif on the back and front correctly--I was off by a pattern repeat and had to take the entire thing out. It's a good thing, too, though. I tried it on when I got it off the needles and it was waaaay too small. I love the sweater now, though!

Another had sleeves that would have fit The Hulk. They were knit on, so I had to take them out and re-knit. :shrug:

ChroniclesofYarnia
11-10-2006, 12:03 PM
My dumbest, and the one I continue to make, is not changing needle sizes after doing ribbing. I'll get halfway done with a sweater and it will just seem small, and then I will run around the house cursing and making my husband rip it out.

Another one I do is start knitting with the tail of my cast on. Doh!

brendajos
11-10-2006, 12:04 PM
ummm...Buying Red Heart? :shrug: :teehee:

Stiney
11-10-2006, 12:12 PM
I was knitting in the round for a baby all over-warm-thingy. (I don't know what the terminology is. It has hoods and sleeves and a drawstring at the feet.) First, there was a knot in the yarn, so I cut out the knot and joined the yarn. And got a few rounds up and realized I had too many stitches, and it was in Baby Homespun, so I couldn't just frog back to the mistake because I was having a hard time telling stitches apart. :frog:

So I frogged it, cast on, and joined it upside down. Got about 6 inches before I realized that it was moebius style. Ripped it back, and cast on again.:frog:

I'm up to the armholes now, and just hoping I don't do anything else stupid. I might cry. :X:

AnreeAce
11-10-2006, 12:30 PM
I bought about $60 worth of Homespun to make a cabled throw blanket.

I was having such a hard time working with it. It was splitty and wanted to knot around itself, and it was so fuzzy-odd that I couldn't see the cable pattern I was working on.

It was only after I got about 5 inches done on the first strip that it occurred to me to do a search on the forum to see what other knitters thought about it.

Imagine my relief to discover that Homespun has about a 90% hatred rating around here (apologies to the folks who actually enjoy working with it, I know you're here too).

Thankfully, I'd saved the receipt!

Lesson learned: solicit opinions before buying yarn!

janelanespaintbrush
11-10-2006, 12:32 PM
One thing that I can't seem to stop myself from doing is continuously frogging and restarting a project. I invariably end up with a worse looking piece since yarn has this funny tendency to get really tatty and splitty after it's been reworked say, a half-dozen times. What makes it even worse is that sometimes, if it's a very thin yarn (as for socks), it becomes so crimped after frogging that I'll have to wet and straighten it before starting again because if I don't, the tension will be all goofy. Oh yeah. Here's a good one -- with one particular yarn that I used recently, a few bits of tweed would come off every time I frogged, so the beginning part of the piece, which had been reworked the most, was noticeability "balder" than the rest of it. I actually ending up doing some "transplanting" to even it out. :rofl:

snowbear
11-10-2006, 12:41 PM
My first sweater was for my granddaughter, age 11 months. I listened to a few "experts" as to how to read the pattern to size, instead of actually putting the inches of the thing down and then measuring said granddaughter. (the experts didn't have children) Well, when it was finished, her mother could have worn it had she not been breast feeding.

My son-in-law just looked at it and said it was nice, my daughter lol for several minutes. Then said "I'll keep it for her when she's in Jr. High mom, "

The hours I poured into that thing, lol Oh well, from now on, I always write down the measurements, and then look to see how the size equates to actually clothing sizes. lol

1to1
11-10-2006, 01:14 PM
This is nothing major but after knitting a few rows, the long tail was in the way so I cut it, or so I though--I had cut the working yarn. :wall: :!!!: :wall: :??

Jenelle
11-10-2006, 01:36 PM
My dumbest knitting mistake..

I was knitting a smaller version of the anthropology inspired capelet for my neice. I was almost done with the body, I looked back about 20 rows, and noticed that I had stopped in the middle of the row, and knit back the row I had just purled(this was in the middle of the row). I still have one sleeve to finish though. This is probably going to be a christmas present.

Ohh, and another one was not paying attention to a sweater pattern.. I knit the back of it for a few inches, cast off about 20 stitches in the back, and knit the sides of it for 4 inches.. I was wondering why it looked so funky. :help: I'm going to re-knit it(thank god it was only a baby sweater!).

Mulderknitter
11-10-2006, 01:40 PM
ooooh i cut the wrong tail once, I was sooooo mad :!!!:
I also start working with the cast on tail instead of the working yarn. and my cat continuously half frogs a row on me.. no end caps dont work he eats those. :-x
One of my major problems is that if I am not looking while knitting I sometimes split the loop and end up only knitting half the stitch. :wall:

Jan in CA
11-10-2006, 01:58 PM
:roflhard: I have done so many of these things it does my heart good to read that I am not alone!

I have knit with the tail, cut the working yarn when I meant to cut the tail, forgetting to change needle size after ribbing, .......

Ingrid
11-10-2006, 02:07 PM
:teehee: I was just thinking the same thing. I've pretty much done all of these things, and more.

moon
11-10-2006, 02:16 PM
I made a blanket for a friends baby. I think I made it too loose because it looked more like lace. It was one big, lacy rectangle. I didn't think that they baby's hand's would get stuck in there until later. Never did see her use it. :roflhard:

I did get her a bunch of things off her registry so I know she was happy. But I think the blanket was a huge flop.

The Spider
11-10-2006, 02:45 PM
I once tried to knit a sock with super bulky wool on #4 DPNs. I finished the heel before I gave up... that thing could've stood on its own, I'm certain!

SabrinaJL
11-10-2006, 03:02 PM
I was knitting a baby hat and as I'm knitting I'm thinking "This hat is going to be too small for an actual baby. It might fit a beanie baby". But I kept going anyway as if it was magically going to get bigger. It didn't. After checking into it I realized I used the wrong size needles. :wall:

DreamWeaver
11-10-2006, 06:48 PM
One time I saw a 'Knitty Gritty' episode that featured combined knitting. It said that you should wrap the yarn clockwise when you purl. So I thought that continental knitting was cool, so I started purling like that. But the problem was that I didn't watch the rest of the episode, so I didn't gather that you were supposed to knit the stiches twisted, so I just knit them regular, so I was knitting stiches twisted for about three months :doh: :roflhard: :doh:

Pink Dandelion
11-10-2006, 08:05 PM
How about picking up a half knit sock, and starting a full DPN over from where you should, carrying the yarn all the way across your sock and not noticing it for a few rows. Not that big a deal to take care of, but sure leaves me feeling stupid every time it happens (yes, happens - plural :wall: )

Little aggrivation - doing a long tail CO for tons of stitches and running out of tail about 3 stitches before you're done... :grrr:

And, of course, I'm constantly having to double check that I'm not knitting with my tail... once I even knit with my tail on something long, I think it was a scarf or the front of a sweater, and then wondered what in the world was going on, and why was the bottom of my knitting pulled all the way up to the top :??

Or the time I knit some pomatomus socks, flipping the chart (because I'm left handed) but NOT flipping the decreases... it wasn't until I started in on a SECOND pair, that I noticed it :doh:

My hair is a little over hip length and I've often knit attached hair into my project... boy does that hurt! I've also spun attached hair into my yarn but I'm uber careful about that, I'm always afraid I'll get going fast and slurp my whole head onto the bobbin :rofl:

itsazoo
11-10-2006, 11:28 PM
I often knit with the tail, even though I tell myself to check it before I start.

I cannot do ribbing to save my life. I always end up with the first and last part on knit stitches so when I get them together or connect in the round there's a big section of knitted stitches that stands out. (If anyone out there knows how NOT to do this please tell me!)

My last one is quite silly. :oops: I can't seem to count. I will cast on the "right" # of stitches count it twice and miscount both times. I'm currently making myself count 5 times and if 3 of them don't come out the same I have to keep counting. I don't know what my problem is with counting :wall:

Amber
11-11-2006, 12:01 AM
Little aggrivation - doing a long tail CO for tons of stitches and running out of tail about 3 stitches before you're done... :grrr:

Oooh, I've done that one. Always about makes me wanna cry. I've also knit with the tail, and forgotten to change needles after the ribbing...several times in a row. :wall:

humblestumble
11-11-2006, 03:40 AM
:shrug: I just knit things that don't fit (large things). I do a swatch, but still, no fit.

I've frogged plenty of things, but I now just accept that i will have to frog it. It's a fact of life, it's even kinda fun :oops:

When I use long tail cast on and i run out of tail, I knit into the stitch I just made, and do a knitted cast on for the rest.

nonny2t
11-11-2006, 09:08 AM
I did a super double duh and this was just a couple days ago. I was having an unusually hard time sewing the seams in my first pieced sweater. I just couldn't get the kitchner concept for some reason :shrug: . I watched the video several times and couldn't understand why I couldn't see the "V" on my work to insert my darning needle :?? until I discovered I needed to sew it right side to right side instead of inside out. Wait, it gets better, after having torn out the sleeve and side twice, and for the life of me not being able to understand what I was doing wrong with the finishing, I got the bright idea :woohoo: because it wasn't a set in sleeve I could take out the bind off on the sleeve, then pick up stitches down both sides of the sweater, then do a 3 needle bind off. I have NO idea what it would have looked like if done correctly, but since I had one side inside out and one side right side out, ummmmm even quasimoto wouldn't have worn the sweater. :roflhard: :rofl: Ok, so I do get the dumb award? ***BTW, I finished it and posted it on whatcha knittin' so you can see I finally did get the hang of it and it turned out ok!

dustinac
11-11-2006, 09:38 AM
One of my biggest mistakes is assuming I've read the pattern correctly on a easy pattern the first time and move on.. I usually have to end up frogging cause I forgot a step or missed a step :doh:

My first hat for my son I didn't know much about yarns so I just grabbed one for the hat pattern I liked.. I didn't know much on gauge either... lets just say that it won't even fit my dh.. it won't fit anyone its HUGE :rofl: :roflhard:

mintdee
11-11-2006, 11:24 AM
My mistake it on a baby sweater that I was working on. I knit knit knit on it (raglan sleeves) only to find out that while I had done the increases I neglected to seperate the arm hole stitches from the body so I had one very weirdly shaped tube. :doh:

BinkyKat
11-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Well, I've done a lot of the basic mistakes already listed, miscounted, knit with the tail etc... My first blankie for my nephew was also my first online order of yarn so I just got the two hanks suggested instead of just going one more for good measure (some patterns give you more than enough, I'm told, simply to get you to buy more yarn per a yarn shop owner once told me :?? sneaky ain't she) and so I thought I would be fine. Well, my first shot at it the square was shaped more like Wisconsin, looser here, tighter there...so I frogged and reknit it and it was fine, but since I had woven in the ends and cut them the first time around, and then once frogged and reknit it, I didn't give myself enough to allow for the additional rows I did to make my row guage match ( I think the pattern was off on it's suggested number of rows). Basically I ended up tying all my cut ends together just so I could bind the sucker off! Thank goodness I had other yarn for it that was solely for crotcheting an edge that hid the unsightly bindoff...saved the day.

My biggest problem is how I interpret some instructions. My LYS owner tells me that too much pre-reading of patterns can really be daunting, she is a very very experienced knitter and she says she never pre-reads too much or she says she'd never have tried the things she now is so good at. Anyhow, sometimes the way I read something the first time is different to me the next time. I have yet to felt a purse I was working on this summer (almost finished, i'm an ADD project person) because I had to frog back due to mistaken row count. I counted the next batch of rows from the last section worked and not from the cast on edge as the instructions told me so I ran out of yarn and for 3 weeks I couldn't find more in my town, and the place I got the pattern and supplies from just couldn't figure out what I did because no one else ran out... der, I can't count rows! I actually realized what I had done when someone else here posted they were doing the same bag and posted a totally different issue, causing me to re-read my pattern to try to offer my advise, then I realized what I had done wrong on my bag! Yay for KH, we all help each other!!!
:roflhard:

Boogs
11-11-2006, 02:18 PM
I cannot do ribbing to save my life. I always end up with the first and last part on knit stitches so when I get them together or connect in the round there's a big section of knitted stitches that stands out. (If anyone out there knows how NOT to do this please tell me!)

Make sure your total amount of stitches can be divided by four.

I've knit with the tail before despite telling myself over and over to check first!

I've also fudged up with the seaming until I got mattress stitch down - still not a big fan of seaming though as I'd much rather knit in the round. :)

Stiney
11-11-2006, 02:23 PM
I hold the tail in my hand for the cast on and the first row, and then knit it in on the second row. Otherwise I'd be doing it all the time, too.

alison0313
11-12-2006, 12:44 PM
I have a tangled mess of beautiful cashmere hidden away in my yarn storage bin that I tried to wind up on my own :doh:

(I did that yesterday :verysad: )

nadja la claire
11-12-2006, 01:30 PM
OK lets see. The 1st hat I made with bulky yarn so I used 24 inch #8 circs mistake #1. At some point it got twisted and I stupidly thought that it would somehow right itself :oops: When I realized it was not going to right itself I started again using the same needles :frog: When this hat was done it was hugh. Did I mention the hat was for my very lovey petite niece? :doh:

Sometimes my cast on tails are too long and like so many of you I end up knitting with it.

When I 1st started knitting lace I thought every time you did a YO you had to knit one :oops: :doh: So it took me a while to figure out why I would always have too many stitches. :?? :oops:

I know there are others but I've probably blocked them out. :teehee:

Nadja xxx :oops:

nadja la claire
11-12-2006, 01:31 PM
OK lets see. The 1st hat I made with bulky yarn so I used 24 inch #8 circs mistake #1. At some point it got twisted and I stupidly thought that it would somehow right itself :oops: When I realized it was not going to right itself I started again using the same needles :frog: When this hat was done it was hugh. Did I mention the hat was for my very lovey petite niece? :doh:

Sometimes my cast on tails are too long and like so many of you I end up knitting with it. :oops:

When I 1st started knitting lace I thought every time you did a YO you had to knit one :oops: :doh: So it took me a while to figure out why I would always have too many stitches. :?? :oops:

When I'm doing ribbing I will forget to change stitches and I will continue to either knit or purl :doh:

I know there are others but I've probably blocked them out. :teehee:

Nadja xxx

nadja la claire
11-12-2006, 01:53 PM
I often knit with the tail, even though I tell myself to check it before I start.

My last one is quite silly. :oops: I can't seem to count. I will cast on the "right" # of stitches count it twice and miscount both times. I'm currently making myself count 5 times and if 3 of them don't come out the same I have to keep counting. I don't know what my problem is with counting :wall:

I use stitch markers to help me keep count. Maybe you could place a marker every 10 stitches or something like that.

Nadja xxx

lizzitude
11-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Boy, this topic sure does make me feel better....I've done lots of these! The latest "dumb thing" was putting my cardigan together - I put the fronts on the wrong sides. I was so disgusted that I've put it away until I can face ripping out and redoing the 3-needle bind off on both sides.

madametj
11-13-2006, 08:24 PM

I was having such a hard time working with it. It was splitty and wanted to knot around itself, and it was so fuzzy-odd that I couldn't see the cable pattern I was working on.

It was only after I got about 5 inches done on the first strip that it occurred to me to do a search on the forum to see what other knitters thought about it.

Imagine my relief to discover that Homespun has about a 90% hatred rating around here (apologies to the folks who actually enjoy working with it, I know you're here too).

.....really?

its a good thing i've never bought any! :cheering:

Stiney
11-13-2006, 08:39 PM

.....really?

its a good thing i've never bought any! :cheering:

I'm in the minority. Homespun is okay, as long as you knit loosely with it. Otherwise, the wavy part bunches up. It is really soft.

cgd
11-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Most of the above (knit the tail, lose count and focus, cut the wrong end, etc.) I've done. The sweater stuff I haven't screwed up yet, but only because I haven't done sweaters!

ecb
11-13-2006, 09:50 PM
you all have seen my ultimate success in "Princess Abby"
none of you have ever seen her sister that I started, and she came out (or the first half of her came out) with a tiny head and a BIG Squre shaped body

none of her came out right

my Daughter started a Knit skirt the first inch was Mobius, then they just knitted it UNtwisted
lloked whonkey
then looked neat

ecb

GennyLynn1962
11-14-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm so glad to see this thread. I have done many stupid things while knitting. It makes me happy to know that everyone has some type of a story.

I too have a huge problem with frogging everything I do. I have started many projects but only finished a couple.

I guess one thing that comes to mind that I have done is when I was knitting on circs, doing a flat piece, and knitted the ends together ending up knitting in rounds. I didn't even realize what I had done for 2 rows. :doh:

One of my biggest continual problems is loosing my spot on a patterned row, I just can't seem to keep up with where I am at. :wall:

Stiney
11-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Genny, have you tried using stitch markers?

I've got a lace baby blanket on the needles, and I put a marker in between each repeat. Each repeat is 17 stitches, so I have a stitch marker every 17 stitches. If I wasn't constantly increasing/decreasing, I'd use more within the 17, but 17 is a nice, manageable number of stitches to keep track of.

BillSpace
11-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Some projects are just cursed.

I'm knitting a top-down saddle-shoulder sweater. First thing I did wrong: I picked up the stitches on the saddles with one of them facing the wrong way. Discovered that only after I'd gotten the front and back long enough to start picking up stitches along the shoulder. Rip!

Then I managed to get the front and back started and the saddles oriented the right way, and I cast on for the front of the neck stitches and closed the gap to knit in the round. Two rounds later, I wondered why my neck was twisty. I had done that thing that every pattern warns you not to do: twisted my stitches when I joined for knitting in the round. Moebius is all very nice, but not on a sweater! Rip!

I put it aside for a while to work on a nice, rewarding hat (Fake Isle from the current MagKnits). When I can face the sweater, I'll try again. If I do something stupid again that causes me to rip back to the beginning, I might just find another use for this alpaca yarn.

Momma_Jo
11-14-2006, 05:11 PM
I kept knitting into the back loop and wondering why my rib looked all funny. Didn't figure things out until I took it to the LYS. Where they also asked me why I had FOUR cable needles hanging off of my work.

I'm self-taught, what can I say. :roflhard:

Indygirl
11-14-2006, 09:07 PM
I made a hat last winter for my DGD. Her Dad put it in the dryer and it felted big time. I did not keep notes on needle sizes or what size I used in the pattern. I did go back to Hobby Lobby and found the same yarn. I have made it 2 times and it still is not right. I COULD KICK MYSELF FOR NOT MAKING NOTES.
As for all the silly things I have done with knitting, I could write a book. I must be addicted because I haven't given up yet.

GennyLynn1962
11-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Genny, have you tried using stitch markers?

Duh!!! Why didn't I think of that???? :wall: (ok, so that's another one for my list).

Thanks Raven, again.

jamiejeans
11-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Good question! I would have to say this (http://www.squawkergirl.blogspot.com/2006/10/nipple-head.html) was my worst mistake to date. Totally ruined a lovely hat.

jamiejeans
11-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Where they also asked me why I had FOUR cable needles hanging off of my work.

I'm self-taught, what can I say. :roflhard:

Very funny! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cleo
11-17-2006, 04:14 AM
Well my mistakes are simple, since my project must be too!!!

But the one that tickles me is this: :teehee:

My daughter is in college and when at home, decided to learn the little I know (about knitting) ...

This made me so happy and excited that now every time she calls home. We talk knitting (of course while I AM - knitting). I get so excited that I will be on a "short row" and just keep on knitting :doh: a full row! Such a simple thing to remember and what's funny (I must honestly admit) it has happend 3 to 4 different times already...

Really, I can do 2 things at once, just don't let knitting carry my emotions away... :heart:

mwedzi
11-17-2006, 10:39 AM
This thread is entertaining. I've made so many mistakes, I can't even remember them all. The little ones like knitting with the tail or running out of yarn to do the tail I don't even really consider much of mistakes anymore, they seem so inconsequential (sp?). I'm currently really embarrassed by my continuing mistakes on my first fair isle sweater. I hate the mistakes where I don't even know what I've done wrong. Somehow I unraveled some of the underam of the sleeve that was already attached to the body except for the armpit part. This friggin sweater was knit entirely in the round, two puny armpit sized sleeves to sew together, and I still can't do it. Finishing will be the death of me! I put most of the fallen stitches back on and managed a 3 needle BO (meaning the tiny underarm areas are now joined with like 3 different methods of joining, all of them ugly), but I still seem to have missed one.

I think I'm going to have to take a finishing class.

stitchwitch
11-17-2006, 11:08 AM
I think I'm going to have to take a finishing class.

I'm in the near finishing part of a sweater right now and I just asked my husband if I can just hot glue the pieces together! :roflhard: I hate seaming!

nadja la claire
11-17-2006, 04:54 PM
A few days ago I started knitting a scarf for a friend and I've done the same stupid thing I always do, I get the yarn and then I find and start a pattern only to discover that I don't have enough yarn and I just know I won't be able to get it in the same dye lot. You'd think I would learn, but NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I just keep doing it over and over :wall: :gah: :wall: :gah: :wall:

Nadja xxx

madametj
11-27-2006, 10:21 PM
A few days ago I started knitting a scarf for a friend and I've done the same stupid thing I always do, I get the yarn and then I find and start a pattern only to discover that I don't have enough yarn and I just know I won't be able to get it in the same dye lot. You'd think I would learn, but NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I just keep doing it over and over :wall: :gah: :wall: :gah: :wall:

Nadja xxx

ouch...