PDA

View Full Version : DPNs, Cables - Handy Hints Collection

Limey
11-10-2006, 01:30 PM
As quite a few people seem to be hell-bent on doing the rounds with DPNs (sorry) this week, I thought it might be a good time to ask if you’ve any handy hints or tips, please, that we could collect here:

What I’ve found is that the long-tail cast on seems to be by far the best to use – the stitches stay put and don’t slide about all over the place like a cable cast on does.

I got a great tip from Momwolf (many thanks Julie) to use a table or a tray to rest the needles on while you’re grappling to get the stitches lined up and to catch falling needles (which is inclined to happen if you’re daft enough to kick off with metal ones, like someone I know).

Over the summer, I knitted a cable cardigan (on straights) and found it to be a bit awkward at first, especially at the start and end of a row, trying to keep the stitches on all three needles at once.

What helped me a lot, was placing a bead on the end of the cable to stop the stitches sliding. I bought a packet of children’s assorted size beads and it’s been surprising how handy they’ve been.

Any other contributions will be more than gratefully received …

MANY THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR KIND ENCOURAGEMENT AND HELP.
:yay: :yay: :yay:

All the Best - Have a great weekend :thumbsup:

Limey

LoAnnie
11-10-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure who gave me the tip, but knitting a couple of stitches from the next needle before you add the next needle in to prevent ladders between the needles.

LoAnnie

Yarnlady
11-10-2006, 05:42 PM
I generally try to knit at least one row "regular" before joining in the round. It stretches the stitches out and makes it so much easier to join and continue. When I'm done, I use the tail to catch the two "unjoined" sts together when weaving in the end.

Vendie
11-10-2006, 07:18 PM
With DPNs, I make sure that I keep the "left" needle positioned so that each end is above the dpns next to them. This helps laddering. I don't like shifting my work every round (I confuse easily :teehee: ).

For cable work, I have found that the very best trick was learning how to cable without cable needles. It's just such a cool and useful technique - especially when those cable needles start to get cumbersome and clumsy to use - mine are always falling out of my work. It takes a little getting used to, cabling without a cable needle, but it's well worth it, especially when you are working on something with lots of cables.

jdee
11-10-2006, 07:42 PM
I generally try to knit at least one row "regular" before joining in the round. It stretches the stitches out and makes it so much easier to join and continue. When I'm done, I use the tail to catch the two "unjoined" sts together when weaving in the end.

I do the same thing. I've found it easier to keep from twisting the stitches this way.

Nikki
11-11-2006, 10:08 AM
My knitting mentor at my LYS showed me this one for DPN knitting. After you have cast on and gotten all the stiches on the needles the way they should be take the first stitch on needle 1 (the very first cast on stitch) and move it to the last needle (3 or 4), then take the last cast on stich from needle 3 or 4 (with the working yarn hanging from it) and pass it over that stich and place it on the first needle. Then start your sock or whatever. Makes the join so much nicer. No dips or bumps.

Limey
11-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi Guys

Thank you all very much for your tips and suggestions - the way I'm shaping up, I need all the help I can get.

I'll try the different ways of doing that pesky first join - that's the bit where the stitches spin around like a drunk in a well-oiled revolving door - before flying off the ends.

:hair: :grrr: :gah:

All the Best

Limey

:passedout: