PDA

View Full Version : Wool of the Andes?

Orchid22
11-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Hello,

I was thinking about ordering some of this yarn to make a sweater. Has anyone used this for an item that will be next to the skin? I don't want to make a scratchy sweater that I will never wear, but the price on this stuff is so great!! (plus, I just learned that it supports this site!!) :heart:

Thanks,

Martha

janelanespaintbrush
11-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Amy had a bad experience with it pilling on a sweater she made with it. It's also not particularly soft. It's not the scratchiest wool in the world, mind you, but I wouldn't make a next-to-skin article with it. People do like it for felting, though.

Orchid22
11-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Jane!
What about Andean Silk or Shine worsted? Has anyone used these yarns?

I want to make this sweater:
http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/itemid_30579223/projects_display

The yarn info is at the bottom of the linked page.

Thanks!
Martha

janelanespaintbrush
11-10-2006, 04:04 PM
I tried shine and didn't care for it, but I'm not particularly fond of cotton anyway. Don't know about the other one, but if you do a search for it, you'll probably be able to find previous posts about it.

jolenel
11-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm making a blanket out of Andean Silk, and it's pretty soft. I'd have no problems using it again for a sweater or cardigan.

nadja la claire
11-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Andean Silk is very nice. It knits up beautifully and it's so soft but it tends to shed a little but I love it.

Nadja xxx

CateKnits
11-10-2006, 05:11 PM
I made Tubey from Knitty out of Andean Silk and I love it.

moon
11-10-2006, 06:16 PM
I like Andean Silk too. Lots of people made Cozy and Clapotis with it and were happy. Try wiseneedle.com and knittersereview.com for more opinions.

I like Shine. It's soft compared to a lot of other cottons in that price range.

Never did try WOTA. The Merino is very nice.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Merino style is kind of pilly, but I made Tubey out of it, and it's one of my favorite favorite yarns. I am making a sweater now from andean silk, and it;s also very nice... the Elegance yarn is fabulously soft, too. I wouldn't make a sweater from WOTA, but a jacket or cardigan might be okay. I usually use it for felting.

hummingbird
11-10-2006, 08:09 PM
I made a hat with Wool of the Andes for a friend and he really likes the hat and has been wearing it a lot. They have a really big selection of colors for it. :)

skNYC
11-10-2006, 10:11 PM
I love swish superwash, very soft and it doesn't pill.