PDA

View Full Version : Yarn selection question

genden69
11-10-2006, 08:07 PM
I am looking for a quality super merino wool yarn for sweaters. Regular wool itches me to pieces, but I can wear quality merino. I have been looking at Jaggerspun supermerino wool on the cone on the internet. Has anyone tried it? Is it easy to work with, soft, resists pilling, holds its shape, etc.? Thanks.

Ingrid
11-10-2006, 08:28 PM
I used Debby Bliss Merino Aran for a sweater and it was loooovely to work with. I haven't worn it enough to know if it pills, but it did stretch a lot when I blocked it--something to consider with a swatch.

janelanespaintbrush
11-10-2006, 08:55 PM
I tried searching for it, but the closest thing I could find was Jagger Spun superfine merino. It's a lace weight yarn. Is that the one?

Calamintha
11-10-2006, 10:21 PM
I have used the Jaggerspun Super Fine Merino for a shawl. It is a laceweight yarn that would be used for shawls and scarves. Probably not suitable for a sweater unless you are very patient! It is quite soft but needs to handled gently or it will fuzz.

You might want to take a look at their Zephyr yarn. It comes in both a laceweight and a DK weight that would be more suitable for a sweater. It is 50% merino/50% silk. Very soft with a lovely sheen.

genden69
11-10-2006, 10:34 PM
I am looking at the super fine merino. I would have to use about five stands of the Jaggerspun superfine merino to make a sweater because it is 2/18 laceweight. The fact that it fuzzes concerns me. I have thought about the zephyr with the silk, but what I am looking for is something with good elasticity. Would zephyr work for a ribbing with good elasticity? Doesn't the silk make it less elastic? I am weary of sweaters that stretch out in the ribbing. I would also be interested if anyone knew where I could buy mill end cones of fine merino wool spun in Scotland. I am still exploring and appreciate all of your help.

Pink Dandelion
11-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Angora Valley fibers has a nice light worsted/dk weight yarn that's a superwash merino, her merino sockyarn that I've used alot is really super soft and non-itchy (both my mom and I are sensitive to 'normal' wool), and has so far held up very well, when I felt this heavier weight it felt just like the sock yarn, though the twist may not be as tight, so I guess that could effect how much it pilled etc.

The only problem is that this yarn is hand painted and she can't get the yarn from the mill anymore, so you'd have to make sure she has enough in a color you'd like. She's very helpful if you needed to call her on the phone to double check availability and make sure they're from the same dyelots

You can check it out here: http://www.angoravalley.com/yarns/butterfly/index.html

Calamintha
11-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Zephyr has quite a lot of "spring" to it, meaning if you pull it out it pops right back into place. It has far more spring than the Superfine Merino so I think it would be a better choice and as I mentioned, it does come in a DK weight version.