PDA

View Full Version : I DID it!!

CreativeCreature
11-11-2006, 01:40 AM
I just finished my first project using DPNs! :happydance: I am so excited and so proud of myself!! :cheering:

I made a hat and it came out perfect!! It's nothing special, I used super cheap yarn and it's a really simple pattern but I DID IT!! I can't wait for my next project. I found that I just LOVED using DPNs, they are awesome!! I also really like exclamation points!! A lot!! :teehee:

Anyway, I just wanted to share. (I just love having this group to come to.)

Jan in CA
11-11-2006, 03:04 AM
I also really like exclamation points!! A lot!! :teehee:

:teehee:

Good for you! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

HamburgKnitter
11-11-2006, 05:19 AM
:cheering: :cheering:

nonny2t
11-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Woohoo, good job! Isn't it fun to learn something new and do it correctly the first time? :cheering: :cheering:

Ingrid
11-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Don't let any 'outsiders' know how easy dpns are--it's a trade secret. :teehee: :teehee:

Congratulations! :happydance:

dustinac
11-11-2006, 09:40 AM
:blooby: :woot: Thats wonderful!!

ebrperk
11-11-2006, 12:59 PM
I love DPN's too. Everyone thinks they are so fancy it cracks me up.

DragonTush
11-11-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm getting ready to tackle that as my next project...you give me hope I can do it too lol.

Got a picture? :cheering:

CreativeCreature
11-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Someone asked for a pic so I'll give you 3. :teehee: The model is the lovely Elaina (my 3 year old).
I took a pic of the front, back and side. I used a pattern suggested by Jeannette. http://tiajudy.com/simplestcap.htm

I knit it kinda tightly but it's still very strechy and fits my kids and my husband and I. GREAT pattern/project for first time using DPNs! I plan to make lots more, using up my large stash of crappy, cheap yarn. LOL

Ingrid
11-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Oh my!! What a cute little girl! :inlove: Cool hat she's wearing, too. :teehee:

Pink Dandelion
11-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Aaaawwww cute kid!!! :inlove: *melts*

I love DPN's too. Everyone thinks they are so fancy it cracks me up.

:rofl: me too!

What I find especially amusing is the teen boys and older men who are just fascinated with what you're doing and just have to come ask what you're doing and how it works... they'll never say a word about your knitting and then you bring a sock to work on and then it's constantly "What [in the world] are you making?!" (but young men and middle age men are usually too cool or something (or think they are) to show any interest ;) )

DragonTush
11-11-2006, 09:46 PM
What a cute little girl! That toque looks fantastic. Could you link the pattern...pleeeease? :muah:

knit ya'll
11-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Precious daughter and great hat!

CreativeCreature
11-11-2006, 11:06 PM
http://tiajudy.com/simplestcap.htm

That's the pattern I used. It was so easy.

And thanks for the cute comments on my girl. She is rather adorable. When she's sleeping! :roflhard:

My next project (one of about a dozen flying around my mind) is another easy hat pattern I found here: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/hatquattro.htm
I hope it's as easy as the first. Oh! I also wanted to mention that I made up that hat in just a few hours (total time), just to give you an idea.

HamburgKnitter
11-12-2006, 06:21 AM
When I made that hat as my first DPN project (and third project EVER after two very simple scarves), I was totally thrilled at how the decreases all lined up so wonderfully at the top of the hat. :teehee:

It looks really good! :cheering:

nadja la claire
11-12-2006, 08:40 AM
:woot: :yay: :woohoo: :cheering: That's great! I really like dpn too! They're more fun than seaming. Great hat and BEAUTIFUL little girl.

Nadja xxx

PamJ
11-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Mandi, your hat is beautiful! I've been wanting to learn to use dpns for ages, after a few unsuccessful attempts with a sock. You are encouraging me to try this pattern! Did you do the worsted weight version and size 8 dpns?

DreamWeaver
11-12-2006, 03:43 PM
I just have to ask... how did you avoid that little ladder of yarn where you joined the two edges? I get it all the time and it bugs the heck out of me :oops:

CreativeCreature
11-12-2006, 03:53 PM
I used inexpensive (from Wal*Mart) worsted weight yarn and size 7 DPNs.

I tended to knit rather tightly even though I tried to losen my stitches but it never happened. I was worried about the ladder happening where two needles meet (I was warned about them here) so I would do the first stitch off the needle real tight and that kind of carried through the whole piece. But the pattern is such that it's very stretchy so it did fit my head, a little snug but isn't a beanie supposed to be a tad snug?

I am glad so many people are willing to try DPNs now. It's sooo much easier than it looks. I feel so much more confident about making socks now because of this and I bought my first skein of sock yarn yesterday. :sun: I bought Trekking XXL brand in a beautiful green-ish color. I still need to get the right size needles but I'm on my way to sock making.

Oh!! I must add that I have become yarn-obsessed!! I think about it a lot and different things I want to try and I lust over yarn I can't afford online. LOL I know I will eventually buy a yarn I saw last week, called Opal. I attatched a pic of the one I want. And it WILL be mine, oh yes!! It will be mine! mwahahahaha

cgd
11-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Yea for you!!! I felt the same way a few months back when I conquered DPNs. Strangely, they make more sense to me than the Magic Loop and other methods shown on this site. I'm sure you'll be cranking hats out now that it's wintertime and you have the knack!!

CreativeCreature
11-13-2006, 06:27 PM
I've never tried (or even heard of) Magic Loop needles. I know the basics of knitting now but I'm finding out each day that there is SO much more I don't know anything about.

I did indeed make another hat! :teehee: I made a kids' hat this time. Started last night, finished this morning. I've been having a hard time finding patterns that I really want to try, that aren't too complicated. But I have so much cheap yarn I can use up that I could make tons and tons of these two patterns. That would keep me busy. LOL