PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Scarf yarn choices - We have a winner!

mwedzi
11-11-2006, 09:28 AM
I want to make my mother a not-too-warm scarf for xmas with a little bit of glamour. So yesterday I bought a ball of lace mohair to carry along with some Plymouth(?) 24 karat yarn. Those are the two balls on the outside in the picture. I swatched it and it was exaclty the look I was going for; the mohair didn't add too much bulk but toned down the bling of the 24 k. But, duh, mohair is itchy. What was I thinking? I guess I wasn't but was just enticed by the color combo. I put it up against my neck and was instantly itchified. I was so sad because it was so pretty. Just like when I put alpaca against my neck. So sad. :verysad: It isn't just my sensitive neck, though, right? I mean, mohair would itch most people's necks, right? So then I thought about the ball of Peter Rabbit I had that I had gotten for the now-despised Branching Out scarf (curse you, lace charts!). I knew at least that it did not make my neck itch. So I swatched with it and it's pretty, but not as pretty as the mohair to me.

I'm trying to decide what to do. Knit it all with the 24 k + the Peter Rabbit? Hope Mommy likes mohair on her neck and knit with the mohair + 24 k. Return the mohair and get another skein of Peter Rabbit in Straw or Pumpking (but can't find anywhere that has it in stock, so special order and hope it arrives in enough time to make the scarf for xmas)?

dustinac
11-11-2006, 09:34 AM
I made me a scarf last year out of mohair and I can't wear it unless I'm wearing a turtle neck... I think the 24K and peter rabbit looks good together so I think it would be ok to go that way.. I even like the way you have it now showing the colors.. and the stripes of the mohair wouldn't be to bad on her neck if you just used it as an accent row here and there... could you continue with the peter rabbit you have just in case you didn't get the other color in time by special order and then decide? :hug:

mwedzi
11-11-2006, 11:27 AM
I guess I can go with the Peter Rabbit. I just keep thinking that *I* wanted this yarn for *me*. I guess I can always buy another one for me in the future, though. Maybe I can return the mohair. I didn't knit very much of it.

Thanks.

Stiney
11-11-2006, 01:44 PM
What about all three together? Would that reduce the itch factor enough? I think they look very purty all together, or just the Peter Rabbit and the bling yarn.

hummingbird
11-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Here's a suggestion. You could use the mohair for the ends of the scarf and then gradually change the color with some different sized stripes to the non itchy yarn for the part that touches her neck.
Good luck.

cocoa
11-11-2006, 05:46 PM
could you line it with silk or something?
dee

mwedzi
11-11-2006, 08:04 PM
These are all good ideas. I'm going to just set it aside for a couple days and think about what's best. Thanks.

mwedzi
11-16-2006, 11:57 PM
And the winner is Louisa Harding Kimono Pure, an angora blend (70%) yarn. You would not believe the drape of this fabric, both the angora and the 24k. It's amazing.

Stiney
11-17-2006, 12:40 AM
That looks soooo beautiful! :heart: :heart:

cocoa
11-17-2006, 05:19 AM
I 2nd that, very nice.
Dee