PDA

View Full Version : horrible selection at local store

inkaholic
11-11-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm a beginning knitter, and my local crafts store seems to have a horrible selection..there's lots of baby yarn but not much else except for a very few expensive types. The needles section in particular bothers me, though. The only cable needles/DPNs they had were incredibly tiny--I didn't know they made regular needles that small! and metal to boot (I only like to knit with bamboo, so I wanted a bamboo cable needle / DPNs...) Do you all suggest ordering online? It bothers me that the only brands of yarn that I could buy in person is Red Heart or a few tiny bundles of fringey/furry Lion Brand, and the only kind of needles are tiny Susan Bates ones or enormous (it said 35 on the top...) plastic ones. Or should I go looking for another store in a different city? I know there's another craft store about a half hour away, and if I can get a ride I'll check it out. But in the meantime, what should I do?

Stiney
11-11-2006, 02:14 PM
You're in JC? Hm.

Check out this review site (http://knitting.about.com/library/blnj.htm). It's not a complete list of yarn stores. Also these are some stores (http://www.woolworks.org/stores/nj.html) and this (http://find.mapmuse.com/re1/map_brand.php?sp_theme=BRAND&origBr=KNITTING_SHOPS&pan=&recenterX=&recenterY=&zoomlevel=&imgbox=-1+-1+-1+-1&zoomBand=&extent=-77.578705808+38.3579188312+-72.0236011904+41.9317028018&noOfLayers=1&layer=&layerx=&remove=&imgext=-129.88+22.766+-61.83+51.95&rawminx=117.830193&rawminy=-42.704092&rawmaxx=155.269129&rawmaxy=-8.412631&singlePoint=&stick=&latitude=&longitude=&symbolName=&sp_table=&sp_id=&sp_zoom=&agtid=&setPoint=&setStick=&setLat=&setLong=&setSymbol=&goto=yes&gotoLoc=40.7281%2C-74.0781%2C25&matchLine1=&matchLine2=&spet=&image_url=%2Fre1%2Ftmp1%2F1163268440165121.gif&map_width=200&main_topic=&machine=find.mapmuse.com&directory=re1&map_name=map_brand&doScr=0&otm=&mp_table=&mp_ids=&demoLat=40.14481&demoLong=-74.80115&demoScale=42236.5714286&flex=&lFn=&layer0=KNITTING_SHOPS&layer1=&search0=&searchKeys0=&selMoreTopsIntr=null&selMoreTopsBrnd=null&selMoreTopsAccm=null&chkTopic=KNITTING_SHOPS&=null&=40.7281%2C-74.0781%2C25&placeInput=&select=20) map might help, though you might have to reset it. (It gave Jersey City as a metro area you could search through.

Most craft stores have lousy selections (Rag Shop, JoAnn's, Michael's) in our area, because they're geared toward sewing/quilting. But there are lots of LYS, and more in the city.

Denise in Michigan
11-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Try a local yarn shop instead of a big box craft retailer. One good resource for finding a shop nationwide is:

http://find.mapmuse.com/re1/interest.php?brandID=KNITTING_SHOPS

Ingrid
11-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Craft-type stores generally carry a lot of the lower-end yarns and not a good variety of needles. My Michael's, for example, has some bamboo needles but only size 8 and up. :shrug: I guess they don't expect any sock knitters. Some Joann's carry lots of yarn, but, if it's like mine, the main concentration is on fabrics with a few skeins of garbage and some straight needles.

If there is a 'real' yarn shop in reasonable distance, they'd have a wider variety, but I think that so many of us order on-line because of the lack of local availability of what we need. (and want :teehee: )

inkaholic
11-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys! Most of the ones in the list are south jersey, buuut there's one in Hoboken that I'll definitely check out, and I could probably swing by Englewood and Montclair. :happydance:

Stiney
11-11-2006, 02:22 PM
The Englewood store actually moved to Vermont. :pout:

Isn't Chatham right near you? I saw that on the list.

moon
11-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I do most of my shopping online. Knitpicks is my favorite, but there are many good ones out there.

I have 3 LYS that are pretty good, but they never seem to have everything that I want, plus it's so much more expensive. I do shop them frequently, but the majority of my purchases are online.

If it's 30 minutes away it sounds like a fun trip, but I'd guess you'd end up just going for fun now and then and doing the bulk online.

I read a lot of yarn reviews and that helps.

psammeadred
11-12-2006, 07:38 PM
I agree, most national chains have a very limited selection. Here's where I've been able to find yarn:
Hobby Lobby
Michaels
Walmart
Joanns
Hancock fabrics
Big Lots
Thrift stores

Hope this helps!

MrTea
11-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Avoid those big corporate chain stores like the plague. You may as well just flush your money down the toilet.

If you can't find a real LYS, order your yarn from a small business over the internet.

brendajos
11-13-2006, 11:55 AM
If the only place you have been able to find yarn is at the big box craft stores then I would definitely be prepared for some sticker shock going into an LYS. Just fair warning.

Honestly though, i have a hard time going back to the hobby lobby type stores now that i am so spoiled by the LYS. :teehee:

suzeeq
11-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Hey, not fair! I buy yarn from the chains because the one yarn store in town has yarn I won't buy. Not because the selection isn't good but because the brands they carry are the ones that are too freakin' expensive. Sorry, I wouldn't pay $80 for a sweater and I'm not going to buy $80 worth of yarn for one either. Besides I'm not that much impressed with Noro (scratchy as all get out) Debbie Bliss or Brown Sheep. To me their quality isn't discernible. I have bought from knitpicks and am wondering if that was the right decision. I'm really not a hand wash sort of person. You can toss acrylics in the washer and dryer and not worry about them. And yes, many of them are very soft and comfy to wear.

sue

ETA - And I can make a sweater with less than $10 worth of acrylic; how's that throwing away money vs $80 on a `name' brand?

jmp3775
11-13-2006, 12:04 PM
If you can get to Montclair, there are 3 within walking distance of each other. Also, Yarnware in West Orange is nice, and you can order online from them, too, $5.49 flat rate shipping.

MrTea
11-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Hey, not fair! I buy yarn from the chains because the one yarn store in town has yarn I won't buy. Not because the selection isn't good but because the brands they carry are the ones that are too freakin' expensive. Sorry, I wouldn't pay $80 for a sweater and I'm not going to buy $80 worth of yarn for one either. Besides I'm not that much impressed with Noro (scratchy as all get out) Debbie Bliss or Brown Sheep. To me their quality isn't discernible. I have bought from knitpicks and am wondering if that was the right decision. I'm really not a hand wash sort of person. You can toss acrylics in the washer and dryer and not worry about them. And yes, many of them are very soft and comfy to wear.

sue

ETA - And I can make a sweater with less than $10 worth of acrylic; how's that throwing away money vs $80 on a `name' brand?

My point is that when you spend money at those places, it goes to evil multinational coporations. They turn around and use that money to spread their cancer to other communities. When you buy from a small business your money goes to nice people who are trying to make a living for themselves.

Those giant chain stores are a cancer on any community. A pox on them! A pox on them I say!

brendajos
11-13-2006, 12:07 PM
:teehee: :hug: Mr. Tea you crack me up!

mulene
11-13-2006, 12:08 PM
a pox indeed!

Theres always the lovely Diva Knitting store online from our lovely Kemp =D

MrTea
11-13-2006, 12:18 PM

And you will have spent all that time and what will you have to show for it? A beautiful plastic sweater that is not warm.

Sorry, I know I'm going to get it for this. Please don't take this personally

heather_dw
11-13-2006, 01:16 PM
My mom and had to travel 2 hours to see my sister on Saturday and we dropped by Micheal's. They had bamboo needles..all straight and all in sizes over 8.

There were demonstrators on hand to try to get people interested in crafting classes and one of them was this nice knitting lady. She had this really awesome sock she had made and part of another. She tells me that micheal's doesn't have sock yarn or very many needles (those are what I had come there for in the first place). They did have a ton of yarn, most was worsted or that odd, hard to knit with eyelash/novelty yarn. I ended up buying some lion brand wool yarn because it was on sale 2 for 4.00.

When we left the store, mom says "if you could make socks like that lady.. wow!" So yeah.. I'll make socks like that if it is the last thing I do :teehee:

So now the problem is finding the yarn and the needles. I finally found a walmart with straight needles in tiny sizes (1-5) and bought those, but now am going to have to find a fancy sock pattern, find needles and find yarn.

Yikes!

Calamintha
11-13-2006, 01:24 PM
My point is that when you spend money at those places, it goes to evil multinational coporations. They turn around and use that money to spread their cancer to other communities. When you buy from a small business your money goes to nice people who are trying to make a living for themselves.

Yes, I agree. And to that I would add that acrylic yarns are a by-product of the petroleum industry while natural fibers are a renewable resource. Personally I would rather have one hat made from a natural fiber than a whole wardrobe from acrylic.

I do buy most of my yarn online as there are no decent yarnstores in my area but the online stores I buy from are small businesses also.

MrTea
11-13-2006, 01:27 PM
My mom and had to travel 2 hours to see my sister on Saturday and we dropped by Micheal's. They had bamboo needles..all straight and all in sizes over 8.

There were demonstrators on hand to try to get people interested in crafting classes and one of them was this nice knitting lady. She had this really awesome sock she had made and part of another. She tells me that micheal's doesn't have sock yarn or very many needles (those are what I had come there for in the first place). They did have a ton of yarn, most was worsted or that odd, hard to knit with eyelash/novelty yarn. I ended up buying some lion brand wool yarn because it was on sale 2 for 4.00.

When we left the store, mom says "if you could make socks like that lady.. wow!" So yeah.. I'll make socks like that if it is the last thing I do :teehee:

So now the problem is finding the yarn and the needles. I finally found a walmart with straight needles in tiny sizes (1-5) and bought those, but now am going to have to find a fancy sock pattern, find needles and find yarn.

Yikes!

Find your LYS (Local Yarn Store). They will have the yarn, the needles, and the knowlege to help you.

You will need DPNs (double pointed needles) to make socks with the traditional technique. You can also use one long circular needle if you want to try the "magic loop" technique. Have a gander at the instructional videos on this website.

P.S. Michael's is not an LYS, even if you live right across the street.

MrTea
11-13-2006, 01:31 PM
And to that I would add that acrylic yarns are a by-product of the petroleum industry while natural fibers are a renewable resource.

FYI, crude oil is a renewable resource.

Although burning it (or processing it into useless products) does fill the air with poison.

Calamintha
11-13-2006, 01:34 PM
She tells me that micheal's doesn't have sock yarn or very many needles (those are what I had come there for in the first place). So now the problem is finding the yarn and the needles. I finally found a walmart with straight needles in tiny sizes (1-5) and bought those, but now am going to have to find a fancy sock pattern, find needles and find yarn.

My LYS has wretched selection of sock yarn so I buy most of it from Carodan Farm. They have a good selection. I like Trekking, Opal, Meilenweith:

http://www.carodanfarm.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/sock_yarns_patterns.html

As for patterns I like the book Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. There are lots of interesting ones and she gives a chart so that the patterns can be adapted to almost any size. Another book that has a lot of interesting patterns is Socks, Socks, Socks. You could ask at your library. If they don't own them ask them ask if they can get them from another library for you.

suzeeq
11-13-2006, 01:36 PM

And you will have spent all that time and what will you have to show for it? A beautiful plastic sweater that is not warm.

Wrong on both counts. It only takes me a week or so to make a sweater and even a `plastic' one is very snuggly warm. Sometimes too warm. I knit very loosely on larger needles so there's a lot of air pockets for it to `breathe'. Maybe people ought to try out some of the newer acrylics today; they're much much nicer than the ones of 30 years ago.

sue

suzeeq
11-13-2006, 01:41 PM

Those giant chain stores are a cancer on any community. A pox on them! A pox on them I say!

Uhh, Walmart maybe, but I try to buy as little there as possible. I'm also disappointed in the yarn selection the two here have. Also, some of those stores do give back to the community, the least of which is the wages they pay their employees who are also trying to make a living for themselves. Payroll money gets spent several times over within a community.

You may be overlooking the possibility that many knitters live in rural areas where there may be a Walmart, but no other yarn source for 100 miles or more. And maybe can't buy online. So please don't make those kinds of people feel inferior because they have no other choices. What matters most is that they're satisfied with what they make.

sue

MrTea
11-13-2006, 01:46 PM

Wrong on both counts. It only takes me a week or so to make a sweater and even a `plastic' one is very snuggly warm. Sometimes too warm. I knit very loosely on larger needles so there's a lot of air pockets for it to `breathe'. Maybe people ought to try out some of the newer acrylics today; they're much much nicer than the ones of 30 years ago.

sue

Ok, think of it this way.

1 week, let's say that's 40 hrs. What is your time worth? Well, a skilled craftsperson has got to be worth at least $20/hr, right? 40hrs x $20 = $800. So, doesn't it seem strange that an $800 sweater would only have $10 worth of material in it?

Plus, you can find an acrylic sweater at any discount store for under $50.

I like to use the highest quality materials I can find. That way my time seems less wasted. Also, the end product is something unique that not even the high end designer stores would have.

dustinac
11-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I think we have to be kind of careful when dealing with this topic... My mom helps out a local Quilt shop and so I know what the big stores can do to them... Makes it very tight for the shop owners when the customers can go some where else for cheaper materials...

I also think we have to take into consideration that some people including myself can not afford a sweater made out of LYS yarn.. it just can't happen.. even if I put aside money for a sweater the car would break down or something would happen that would take it... I do not want people to feel they are wrong cause they can't buy from their LYS very often or at all.. I do support my LYS every chance I get but I still have to return to the big bad companies for items.... I have bought from the sponsors here and esp. knit picks but still it can't always be done...

Right now I'm making Slipper Socks for my family using Caron Simply Soft why? Cause it's how I can afford to make everyone a pair.. I can't afford to make everyone a pair out of LYS yarn... I don't think I'm a bad person for this or some one who is meaning harm... I think I'm a person with 2 young kids, a hubby, pets, car, bills, putting food on the table, and doing the best I can so I can still enjoy my hobby...

I do sometimes wish I could buy only the best I think we all do... but I won't go into debt for my hobby... I won't give up knitting till I can afford to make something nice because knitting is my way to let go of every day stress...

I just think that this has a way of hurting a lot of people's feelings... and I don't want to see that happen... I think if your happy with what you buy and your happy with your knitting thatís all that really matters...just be happy...

MrTea
11-13-2006, 01:51 PM
[And maybe can't buy online.

Why can't they buy online?

I have lots of friends that live in rual arias and they buy everything online.

MrTea
11-13-2006, 01:54 PM
I think we have to be kind of careful when dealing with this topic... My mom helps out a local Quilt shop and so I know what the big stores can do to them... Makes it very tight for the shop owners when the customers can go some where else for cheaper materials...

I also think we have to take into consideration that some people including myself can not afford a sweater made out of LYS yarn.. it just can't happen.. even if I put aside money for a sweater the car would break down or something would happen that would take it... I do not want people to feel they are wrong cause they can't buy from their LYS very often or at all.. I do support my LYS every chance I get but I still have to return to the big bad companies for items.... I have bought from the sponsors here and esp. knit picks but still it can't always be done...

Right now I'm making Slipper Socks for my family using Caron Simply Soft why? Cause it's how I can afford to make everyone a pair.. I can't afford to make everyone a pair out of LYS yarn... I don't think I'm a bad person for this or some one who is meaning harm... I think I'm a person with 2 young kids, a hubby, pets, car, bills, putting food on the table, and doing the best I can so I can still enjoy my hobby...

I do sometimes wish I could buy only the best I think we all do... but I won't go into debt for my hobby... I won't give up knitting till I can afford to make something nice because knitting is my way to let go of every day stress...

I just think that this has a way of hurting a lot of people's feelings... and I don't want to see that happen... I think if your happy with what you buy and your happy with your knitting thatís all that really matters...just be happy...

You're absolutely right, dustinac. I never meant to hurt anyoneís feelings. I just have a disdain for big box stores. It just seems to me that if you look hard enough, there are good deals on yarn out there that can be had without shopping at a box store.

CreativeCreature
11-13-2006, 02:05 PM
There are 2 LYSs here in town and I would love to exclusively buy from them. But it's not reasonable financially for me. We have 4 kids and one income. If I had to choose btwn 1 skein of $15 yarn or 3-4 skeins of the yarn from the big box store, I'd most likely end up w/ big box yarn. But!! There are weeks when I can afford to splurge (this week being one of them) and I bought some Trekking XXL to eventually make my first socks with. Let me tell ya, I felt so excited about that ONE skein when I walked out of that store. I can't wait to do it again! :teehee:
I've also bought yarn off of ebay and plan to shop online in the future. But you know, I bought some yarn from JoAnn's the other night and while it's not premium, I LOVE it!! It's so silky soft and the colors suit my personality. It cheers me up just to take a sec to rub it on my face. LOL

I think everyone does what they can and as long as they are satisfied with that, it doesn't matter where their yarn came from. Ya know?

Oh, and the LYS here has a basket of clearance yarn that is the same price as big box yarn so it's always worth it to check it out from time to time.

knitknitknit
11-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Montclair is great.. I've only been to stix-n-stitches there and they have a wonderful selection. You can also take the path to nyc where there are a bunch of great yarn shops! (Downtown Yarn (my personal fave), KnitNY, Suss...)

dustinac
11-13-2006, 02:18 PM
You're absolutely right, dustinac. I never meant to hurt anyoneís feelings. I just have a disdain for big box stores. It just seems to me that if you look hard enough, there are good deals on yarn out there that can be had without shopping at a box store.

:hug:

suzeeq
11-13-2006, 02:32 PM
A couple comments on what various people have posted -

Mr Tea wrote:

1 week, let's say that's 40 hrs. What is your time worth? Well, a skilled craftsperson has got to be worth at least $20/hr, right? 40hrs x $20 = $800. So, doesn't it seem strange that an $800 sweater would only have $10 worth of material in it?

No. Possibly because I don't think of it that way. In the first place, when I say it takes me a week to make a sweater, I certainly don't spend 40 hours on it - maybe 15-20. And my working job (which I can knit at) pays me less than $10/hr. So your math just doesn't compute.

Plus, you can find an acrylic sweater at any discount store for under $50.

Yabbut, I wouldn't have had the fun of making it. ;)

And isn't that what this is supposed to be about. As well as the satisfaction of taking two sticks and some string and *creating* something out of it that's custom made and unique. It's like magic to me.

I like to use the highest quality materials I can find. That way my time seems less wasted. Also, the end product is something unique that not even the high end designer stores would have.

That's your perogative. I don't feel using acrylics is a waste of my time because I don't necessarily agree that the more expensive `natural' yarns are higher quality. By my standards at least. My end products are equally as unique as yours whether a high end designer store would carry them or not - has no relevance.

About not being able to shop online....? Perhaps the person has no credit card or wants to see what they're getting before they buy. If I'd bought some of the expensive yarns without being able to touch them first, I'd be thinking I got ripped off because I don't like the feel of them.

dustinac wrote:

and...

Exactly.

People just can't afford the expensive yarns for all their products and many of the chain stores carry yarns that are affordable and feel good. I'm into having soft fibers next to my skin and frankly, natural expensive yarns just don't cut it,

sue

MrTea
11-13-2006, 02:34 PM

I hate to sound arrogant or elitist, I am not. I have no children and we have two incomes. Sometimes I forget what it was like, back when I was eating ramen dry and sprinkeling the stuff in the packet on top. I know what hard times are like and I don't feel like I'm better than anyone.

However, i feel it's these big corporations that are destroying the middle class. Without them, perhaps we could all afford to shop at our LYS's.

I love all of you, :heart: and I sincerely apologize if I sound like an *** sometimes.

right back at you, dustinac :hug:

figaro
11-13-2006, 02:45 PM
I am new to knitting and am still quite a beginner. The first real project I made was a booga bag so of course I had to go and buy the needles and yarn I needed. I went to my LYS and bought Noro Kuryon, Crystal Palace DPN's and CP bamboo circs I needed then walked out the store $50 poorer. Of course my husband asked how much I spent and was shocked which I understood why. I tried to tell him that I was going to make more so each one I made would bring the cost of the needles down but I still paid $18 for the Noro. Then I went to Micheals and found that they have Patons and Lion Brand Wool that will felt nicely and was much cheaper so I bought the Patons and so far I am quite happy with it.

I know that since I am a newbie knitter I do not feel comfortable spending alot of money on yarn or needles right now, once I feel a lot more confident then I will go to my LYS for the materials I need. I also like to buy the Red Heart to make cat/little doggie beds for the Humane Society as it is easily washable for them and provides comfort for the little critters.

The other day I went to a LYS to see about advanced beginner classes and while they would take me and some friends for some classes for us, it would cost us about $20-$25 per hour and they want us to buy the yarn and patterns from there. My teacher who taught me how to knit charged $10 for 2 hours at Starbucks (and she just moved to Texas), and while I can understand them wanting us to buy the materials from there, the fact that they said that makes me feel like I would have to buy more yarn (I really do have plenty right now) and a pattern (all of my patterns are free via internet) to take the class. I just can't justify that moneywise, so at least until we move back east, no more classes and I'm off to Starbucks with the rest of my newbie knitter friends!

I think that we should all buy the materials we like and be happy about it. For me it is not so much that yarn or needles as it is making something for someone else right now. I am very happy with my Clover Takumi Bamboo needles from Micheals, I have bought plenty of cotton (I am a little obsessed with washcloths :oops: ) also from Micheals and and I have bought some cotton from my LYS and while they are both nice, I get more bang for my buck from Micheals.

I hope that I did not step on any toes here!

DragonTush
11-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Thank you for that reply Mr. Tea. My back was definitely getting up.

I do agree about these huge corporate stores are killing off the little guys...my hubby is a little guy. With that said...I buy what I can afford. If the LYS offered yarns I could afford to buy regularly..then I'd shop there exclusively. Unfortunately, when you have to pay $15.00 for Malabrigo compared to $ 4.00 for Bernat Satin (which is really pretty soft) ..I can't always compete. Once in a while I spoil myself.....and feel guilty as hec for it too...most of the time though...I shop at Zeller, Wal-Mart or Michaels.

The pocket book often has to dictate where a person shops...

Oh...and I don't shop online. We have one credit card. Its used for business purposes only. Lets not even mention how much shipping costs...

suzeeq
11-13-2006, 02:50 PM
I think that we should all buy the materials we like and be happy about it. For me it is not so much that yarn or needles as it is making something for someone else right now. I am very happy with my Clover Takumi Bamboo needles from Micheals, I have bought plenty of cotton (I am a little obsessed with washcloths :oops: ) also from Micheals and and I have bought some cotton from my LYS and while they are both nice, I get more bang for my buck from Micheals.

Amen!

sue

MrTea
11-13-2006, 02:54 PM
No. Possibly because I don't think of it that way. In the first place, when I say it takes me a week to make a sweater, I certainly don't spend 40 hours on it - maybe 15-20. And my working job (which I can knit at) pays me less than $10/hr. So your math just doesn't compute.

Just because your job pays you less than $10/hr doesn't mean your time knitting is worth less than $10/hr. But ok, let's rework the math.

$9 x 20hrs = $180 That's still a lot of money.

That's your perogative. I don't feel using acrylics is a waste of my time because I don't necessarily agree that the more expensive `natural' yarns are higher quality. By my standards at least. My end products are equally as unique as yours whether a high end designer store would carry them or not - has no relevance.

Saying "Waste" was a poor choice of words. I appologise.

About not being able to shop online....? Perhaps the person has no credit card or wants to see what they're getting before they buy. If I'd bought some of the expensive yarns without being able to touch them first, I'd be thinking I got ripped off because I don't like the feel of them.

You don't need a credit card. You can always send a money order. I'm almost positive that if you don't like what shows up, you can always return what you don't like to the online retailer. It would be pretty inethical to sell somone a product sight unseen and not allow a full refund if the product in quesiton was not what you expected. In that case I woud call the retailer ahead of time and inquire about their return policy, you might be surprized how accomodating they are. Plus, i've come across online retailers that will send you small samples for a resonable price or even for free.

I'm into having soft fibers next to my skin and frankly, natural expensive yarns just don't cut it,

You don't like natural fibers, I do. Let's agree to disagree.

suzeeq
11-13-2006, 03:12 PM
I do like natural fibers, but some of them I certainly wouldn't want to wear next to my skin.

I don't think either that you can put a $ amount on time spent knitting something for yourself or for gifts. If I wasn't knitting, I'd be reading or watching TV, and isn't that a waste of my time because it's nonproductive? I knit for entertainment, the same way I watch TV or read, and sometimes I do all of it at once. Doesn't matter.

sue

MrTea
11-13-2006, 03:43 PM

Amen!

sue

Your short term gain is in reality a serious long term loss.

You may save a few dollars in the here and now, but years down the road these giant corporations will devour more and more small businesses and eventually everyone's livelyhood and liberty.

The bigger the big companies get, the lower the value of the dollar and the more difficult it becomes to find a job that pays a living wage.

MrTea
11-13-2006, 03:48 PM
I do like natural fibers, but some of them I certainly wouldn't want to wear next to my skin.

I don't think either that you can put a $ amount on time spent knitting something for yourself or for gifts. If I wasn't knitting, I'd be reading or watching TV, and isn't that a waste of my time because it's nonproductive? I knit for entertainment, the same way I watch TV or read, and sometimes I do all of it at once. Doesn't matter.

sue

Well, knitting is a skill, and skilled labor is worth money.

Reading, not a waste. Watching TV, well, probably a waste. Not to say that I never waste any time, in fact I'm a GD expert.

Jan in CA
11-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Avoid those big corporate chain stores like the plague. You may as well just flush your money down the toilet.

If you can't find a real LYS, order your yarn from a small business over the internet.

Not everyone can afford yarn from a LYS, nor is everyone able or willing to order over the internet. I agree that some local stores have very little selection, but there others that carry a lot. We have several Joanns and Michaels stores nearby. Two of them have lousy selections, the other two are very good!

If one store doesn't have what you want consider going to another even if it's a little further away.

kemp
11-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Great job to everyone in this thread for keeping it civil! :muah: :muah: It's awesome to be part of an online community where we can express an opinion and have respect even though not everyone will agree.

KH certainly doesn't discourage OT posts but just try to keep in mind it IS a knitting board so in depth discussions about business practices aren't necessarily a topic we want to beat to death :)

suzeeq
11-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Just want to have a final thought here, Mr Tea....

Chain stores are not the big evil you appear to think they are, and many people have been too intimidated by the `fiber snobs' at their LYS to ever want to walk into one again. Your attitude doesn't help much.

sue

MrTea
11-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Not everyone can afford yarn from a LYS, nor is everyone able or willing to order over the internet.

Not able, how could you not be able? Even if you don't have a computer, somone you know does. And there's still telephones. Most internet businesses have telephone numbers you can call to place an order or ask questions. Is there something i'm missing here?

Just because you are not "willing" to order from a small business isn't an argument for shopping at a box store.

Once again I don't mean for anyone to take this personally, i'm just trying to argue my point.

MrTea
11-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Just want to have a final thought here, Mr Tea....

Chain stores are not the big evil you appear to think they are, and many people have been too intimidated by the `fiber snobs' at their LYS to ever want to walk into one again. Your attitude doesn't help much.

sue

Maybe the LYS's in your aria are different, but I've been to at least 5 different LYS's in my aria and no one has ever given me any sort of attitude whatsoever. The people Iíve met are just as kind and helpful as the people Iíve met here on the KH forum.

Once again, just arguing my point, I don't mean to insult anyone.

figaro
11-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Believe me, I dislike the big box stores more than you, the county that I am from still will not allow Wal-Mart to build there and I am all for that. But with that being said, if my wallet will not allow me to pay $8 dollars for a small ball of cotton yarn then I will go and buy a pound of Bernat Cotton and make who knows how many washcloths to give to my mom and daughters. For us right now, that is all I can do. I will not stop knitting cause I can't afford the expensive stuff and I do not feel I am experienced enough to justify the prices now. I do plan on hitting the LYS's before we move but not too sure if I will be able to buy anything.

And how is straight old fashioned cotton a serious loss? I am quite happy with it and I know my mom and daughter will be more than happy with them. I am not going there and being cart fulls of yarn, all in all I think I have bought maybe 5 balls of yarn.

I am sorry but I cannot feel responsible for the decline of the dollar because I buy yarn at Wal-Mart or needles at Micheals. Those stores are going on without me as it is, the few times (I have been in Walmart maybe 10 times in 8 years I have lived here) I have been there, I have seen the quality of the service was going downhill as with the way they kept the store. That turned me off bigtime so I only go there if I need to now.

In a perfect world, I would only buy from local stores, as it is now I buy my food from a major grocery store (the smaller ones are just too expensive for us), I do go to the farmers market and buy a few things, and I would go to a local book store but there are none in this town of 90,000 for some strange reason so I go to the next town over. I would like my money to stay in my town but if it is not there then I will go to where it is only if I can afford it.

Ok, I am done now, again, if I have said anything that bothers anyone here, I am sorry.

MrTea
11-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Ok, I am done now, again, if I have said anything that bothers anyone here, I am sorry.

It's no problem, figaro. I'm enjoying the debate. We may ruffle each others fethers, but in the end, I certainly hope anyway, that there are no hard feelings between any of us.

That being said...

You may not feel responsible, but no snoflake in an avalanche ever felt responsible. We are all responsible.

suzeeq
11-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Maybe the LYS's in your aria are different, but I've been to at least 5 different LYS's in my aria and no one has ever given me any sort of attitude whatsoever. The people Iíve met are just as kind and helpful as the people Iíve met here on the KH forum.

The ones I've been in too. But I read on other boards how many people have felt inferior by store owners and employees. See this thread at craftster.org -
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=132660.0

Once again, just arguing my point, I don't mean to insult anyone.

You have strongly felt opinions, as do I.

sue

MrTea
11-13-2006, 04:34 PM
I've been asked to stop posting on this thread, so for now we will have to agree to disagree.

I still love you all. I hope their are no hard feelings.