PDA

View Full Version : OT - What kind of berries are these?

cookworm
11-12-2006, 01:07 AM
We moved into our home a year ago, and have some interesting plants in our yard. One of them is this really interesting plant that has these clustery-berry-type (http://www.unix-girl.com/albums/Fall2002/berries.jpg) growths on them. Does anybody know what kind of plant this is? Are the berries poisonous to humans?

Pink Dandelion
11-12-2006, 01:26 AM
They look an awful lot to me like elderberries (http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/e/elder-04.html). Maybe you can find something more positive on-line? You might also want to check on look-alike berries (berries that look like an edible variety but aren't) once you think you've determined what it is.

melinphx
11-12-2006, 03:20 AM
It looks a lot like virginia creeper to me. If so, the berries are great for birds but bad for people.

Melanie

Nikki
11-12-2006, 07:18 AM
Yuck, those are polk/poke berries. You'll have lots of happy birds this fall, they love those berries but that is a very hard weed to get rid of. The tap root goes down forever. Cut it down and next spring watch that area. Paint it with Round Up every time it sprouts again. http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph24.htm

knit-errant
11-12-2006, 08:16 AM
They look like poke berry to me too. Pain in the butt to get rid of. I've got some in my roses and it's really hard to do anything about it w/o hurting the plants I want to keep. :(

nadja la claire
11-12-2006, 08:34 AM
I could be wrong but it looks like milk weed to me. Birds love it but I don't know if it's good for people. :?? I wouldn't eat them.

Nadja xxx

Ingrid
11-12-2006, 09:35 AM
We have those, too, but we always called them wild grapes. I don't think they're harmful.

KellyK
11-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah... that's poke weed. BAD. Bad poke weed!!

stitchwitch
11-12-2006, 10:52 AM
I always wondered what those were. I've got some around a tree at my place in Tennessee. I've never seen anything eat them so I stayed away from them.
We also have blackberries (yummmm) that I have to fight the bears off for. :heart:

Stiney
11-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I don't know what it is, but I know it's not good to eat.

LaStrega
11-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Unfortunately, they are not elderberries...they are indeed poke berries. We have both on our property. Elderberries are tiny, and the berries grow in grape-like clusters rather than off a central stem like the poke. They are poisonous (as is the "poke salad" - the leaves), so please don't eat them!

psammeadred
11-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Yes, that's pokeweed. When you pull it up, be sure to wear gloves, because the juice from the berries will stain.

cookworm
11-12-2006, 08:10 PM
We also have blackberries (yummmm) that I have to fight the bears off for. :heart:

BEARS?????!!!!!!!!!!!! :noway: Yikes! I'm from the midwest...as "wild" as it gets around by my house are squirrels and blue jays! :teehee: That must really be something...I've only seen bears "up close" at the zoo. :teehee: We've got a separate wild berry plant in my back yard that looks like it could be a raspberry, but I'm afraid to chance it, but it sure looks tasty. We also have wild mint growing in the yard, but that I did cut and enjoy safely. :happydance:

I did an image search on Google of "poke berries" and that is indeed what they are--they grow in clusters like grapes. They look really delicious and there's a lot of them...I'm sorry to hear that not only are they poisonous, but that they're hard to get rid of. Thanks everybody!

Stiney
11-12-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm 20 minutes from NYC and we get bears sometimes. A woman I work with lives a bit further west (she's like an hour and a half out of the city) and she has a serious bear problem in her town.

stitchwitch
11-12-2006, 08:38 PM
:roflhard: I love my bears! :heart: Funny story though....our front porch has one of those atrium/conversatory things over it. Well one night Mr. Bear decided he wanted to check the place out and he came up the steps and got into the atrium and got disoriented and panicked. He ended up tearing up my railing, biting the plexiglass of the atrium and leaving a terrible mess of the thing. We left the bear marks on the wood and just painted over it. :roflhard: We laughed figuring the poor bear must have been saying to himself "help, I'm trapped, help!" Then he realized he could go out the same way he came in after he tore the place up. I hope he was at least embarrassed. :roflhard:

Stiney
11-12-2006, 08:40 PM
:teehee: That's a funny story, stitchwitch. I just looked to see where you were from, and now I have "A Boy Named Sue" stuck in my head.

"Well, it was Gatlinburg in mid-July..."

cookworm
11-13-2006, 12:02 AM
I remember the first time I saw a wild raccoon...I almost died I was so shocked! We were both really shocked to see each other--I heard some rattling around outside really late one night when my husband was working nights, and I was scared. I pulled back the blinds, and looking right up at me into the window was a raccoon--I think he was as shocked to see me as I was to see him! That was as close as I had gotten to wildlife. I can't imagine seeing bears nearby your home, and for them to come right up to the house...that's mindblowing!!!! Are they usually pretty mild-mannered?