PDA

View Full Version : OT: Curious

*KnitPixie*
11-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Has anyone hear ever heard of Human Parvovirus B19? Has anyone ever been infected with it or knew somebody that was? If so what do you know about it.

XbelovedXoneX
11-12-2006, 10:46 PM
I have HPV and have dealt with it for 5+ years. However, I am not sure which exact strain I was diagnosed with. What do you want to know? There's a lot to say afterall.

*KnitPixie*
11-12-2006, 10:54 PM
I am not alone! I am 22 years old and find this very frustrating. Oh thank you for responding I have recently been diagnosed with it, sometimes it makes it hard for me to knit. It took them 3 years of extensive blood tests to find out what was wrong! Do you experience hand and arm pain as well? I am on relafen for inflamation. I am not taking anything for pain. I hear it goes away within 10 years is this true. Do you feel any better since you were first diagnosed?

Jan in CA
11-12-2006, 11:17 PM
I didn't know what it was so I looked it up. Apparently it's also known as Fifth's Disease. My kids had it when they were little, but got over it. It sounds like it's a much bigger issue when you're an adult.
:hug:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/respiratory/parvo_b19.htm

jamiejeans
11-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Parvovirus is also known as fifths disease. Its a common childhood disease and is very infectious. It causes flu like symtoms, rash, and joint pain, particularly in the wrists and hands. You can only get it once, because once your body clears it then you have immunity.

Pregnant women should stay away from any with the disease or suspected of having illness because it can affect the unborn fetus.

I had it several years ago... caught it at work (I'm a nurse) and initially just thought I had a flu like thing. But the achy joints were unbearable. I didn't knit then so at least it wasn't causing a crisis! :teehee:

*KnitPixie*
11-13-2006, 05:54 PM
JamieJeans how long did you have your parvovirus? What did you do to get well :shrug: I can't seem to get rid of this pain :pout:

cocoa
11-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi,

I don't have that illness but I'm on constant inflammatory's for life. I was seriously ill until I started taking paprika daily the difference is amazing
curcumin is also good providing you don't have stomach ulcers or allergic to the spices'.

Dee.

jamiejeans
11-13-2006, 06:57 PM
JamieJeans how long did you have your parvovirus? What did you do to get well :shrug: I can't seem to get rid of this pain :pout:

I remember it being at its worst as far as pain for approx a week. It did become less intense after that, maybe lasting 2 weeks from there. So 3 weeks total. I used ibuprofen to help. If you take a total of 3200mg/day (which would be 800mg every six hours) you'll get anti inflammatory action from the ibuprofen, and pain relief. But don't take that much if you have severe heartburn or a history of ulcers.

I have noticed that ever since having the parvo that my wrists are the first to ache when I am sick, and they are prone to arthritis like pain at times. But its fairly mild.