PDA

View Full Version : Shared Knitting--Tell Me Your Stories

cgd
11-13-2006, 06:21 PM
I was visiting my family this weekend, and my brother's girlfriend was eyeing the dishcloths I'm knitting for Christmas gifts. She suffers from bipolar disorder and is on disability. As a result she doesn't drive and can't work outside the home, so she doesn't get out as often as most of us. My brother brings her to all our family functions, and my mother helps out taking her to doctor appointments, shopping etc. Her own family mostly don't treat her very well for various reasons (one sister is a drug addict, another is I suppose just mean to everyone), and my family is very supportive.

I was knitting cloths, and she kept asking me questions about it. Come to find out her mother taught her to knit as a girl (we're both 40-something) and she wanted to relearn. So we planned a girl outing for the next day, and she, my mother, my aunt, and I went to Wal Mart and each bought her different things for early Christmas present (yarn, needles, book etc.) We got back to my mother's, and she immediately whipped out needles and began with the Alabama state dishcloth from the patterns here on KH. I taught her the crochet cast-on because she'd seen me do it and liked the edges. Once we got that down, knitting came back to her, and she was off and running!

Today I called my mother, who had taken Susan to town with her, and said Susan knitted in the car, in the doctor's office waiting, and all the way back to her apartment! It was good to see her that excited about something.

My MIL went with us, and I taught her to crochet as well, so I had a craft clinic going on in rural Alabama. My aunt, who used to crochet a lot, looked on and gave me some of her old yarn and some patterns and good advice. I'm still pretty much a beginner myself, but it was good to share yarn joy with my family members!

brendajos
11-13-2006, 06:24 PM
I don't really have any good stories to share off the top of my head but YOURS was wonderful...thank you for sharing! :muah:

Jan in CA
11-13-2006, 06:39 PM
No stories, but I loved yours! :heart:

CarmenIbanez
11-13-2006, 06:55 PM
I taught knitting a year and a half ago at my school. The kids STILL ask me almost every week if I will teach it again! It's nice that they enjoyed it so much!

aineepooh1
11-13-2006, 08:40 PM
:yay: :cheering: :cheering: