PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever knit a balaclava?

CountryNaturals
11-13-2006, 10:35 PM
I just got the idea to knit one for our son's b'day, but it's only a week away. I found some patterns online, but I'd prefer a personal recommendation from someone who's done one of these successfully. I hope I can get this done in time. (Son is an adult--at least in head size :teehee: )

BTW, how do you pronounce balaclava? :oops:

I'd like it to be soft and not itchy--something he can wear under a ski helmet, but my yarn selection is dismal. Could I use baby yarn? I'd have to go with white or off-white (if I can even find that, locally) cuz I'm sure everything else would be pastels. :wall:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

candicane
11-15-2006, 12:04 PM
I have not made one eithe, but I would definitely reccommend using a thin yarn... nothing thicker than sport weight. Otherwise his helmet may not fit correctly. I think in this case you might be better off just buying one that is made to fit under a helmet, so it does not compromise the safety of the helmet.

candice

CountryNaturals
11-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the input.

I'm using a WWI pattern that was designed for wearing under a helmet, so, hopefully I'm okay there. :shrug: I found some nice soft yarn (Red Heart Soft Yarn). It's not thin, but it isn't too bulky, either.

The good news is that it's knitting up quickly. I was afraid this would turn into a major project, but I'll have it finished in just a few days and it only cost $2.79, so if it doesn't work out, it's no great loss. I can also use it as a prototype. If our son wants a thinner one, or other modifications, I can make him another one for Christmas.

BTW, I used the "cast on in pattern" for the ribbing and I'm thrilled with it. It's a pain, compared to regular casting on, but it really makes a difference in the way the ribbing looks.