PDA

View Full Version : Can you carry on knitting needles when you fly?

want2knit
11-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Anybody know? I haven't flown since I've started knitting but figure it would be a good time to get some knitting done!

awos1244
11-14-2006, 01:50 AM
All travel info can be found here:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#11

suzeeq
11-14-2006, 01:56 AM
Depending on where you're going, yes. I haven't had any problems on my two trips over the last year and a little. It helps if you've got yarn on the needles, I think.

sue

hummingbird
11-14-2006, 03:12 AM
The link to the TSA's list that I was going to post is posted above. :p
Scroll down to see their big yes/no list.
Yes, knitting needles are allowed. I think they're more worried about your shampoo now. Remember to check all that or put it in small bottles in a quart sized bag. I haven't flown since this September. For some reason I had thought that they would have started letting personal higene products back on planes by now. Silly me.

If you bring scissors make sure the tip is rounded and they're cheap. I like to bring an extra bag just in case I need to check something that I didn't expect or you can use it to bring more things back with you.

Have fun on your trip. :)

Deeknit
11-14-2006, 05:54 AM
I just traveled 2 weeks ago with metal circulars. No problems. I did get a recommendation previously to bring a SASE to mail any needles home if they do not let you take them on the plane because I believe the TSA recs say it is the discretion of the screening agent. I have traveled 3 times in the last year and had not problems, but I bring that envelope just in case.

I have always had something started on my needles.

deeknit

SandraEllen
11-14-2006, 08:07 AM
i traveled with metal circs a month ago. no problems. I think that scissors less than 4 inches long are also permitted.

and if you fly with your quart size bag filled with goodies, when you go through screening, make sure you pull it out and lay it on top of everything else. i had to go through and extra bag check because I didn't know.

MrTea
11-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Perhaps we should sticky one of these threads. Seems like this question gets asked every week.

downthestream
11-14-2006, 12:51 PM
I just laugh when I see this question. Unless you are flying first class, how can you possibly pull out the needles and yarn, flex your elbows out, and knit? The seats are too close together, and if you are lucky enough to have an aisle seat, the drink cart clips your arm! And forget reaching for anything if the person in front of you reclines their seat. When I started knitting, it sounded so practical to spend the time on board being productive, but it was impossible. I might bring the knitting with me, but I save it for the down time on vacation!

SandraEllen
11-14-2006, 12:54 PM
I just laugh when I see this question. Unless you are flying first class, how can you possibly pull out the needles and yarn, flex your elbows out, and knit?
I just make sure that I have a small project and use circular or double point needles. it's not any harder to knit than it is to just sit stagnant for a whole flight. Plus then it takes my mind off just how unfomfortable I am...

psammeadred
11-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Instead of bringing scissors, I use nail clippers to cut my yarn. They're smaller and more portable, and overprotective security personnel are less likely to take them.

And ditto to Sandra's comment about circulars - I hardly ever use single points any more. Circs are so much easier and more comfortable!

MrTea
11-14-2006, 02:59 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH!!!

This is going to drive me crazy! :wall:

On domestic flights (within the USA), unless something new happens in the future, your knitting needles are %100 allowed. It doesn't matter if they are made of metal, wood, bamboo, plastic, depleated uranium or cookie dough. It doesn't matter if they are pointy, blunt, circular, streight or double pointed. In the TSA document it makes no distinction it just states "Knitting and Crochet needles = Yes" They are all allowed. Bring your whole knitting bag and stash if you want to, it's fine.

Your pointy scissors are %100 allowed, unless the blades are longer than 4 inches. TSA is not less likely to confiscate your nail clippers than your scissors, they are not going to confiscate either, provided that your scissor blades are under 4 inches long.

Just download and read the newest version of the TSA rules before you take your trip. It's not going to be a different story when you get to the security checkpoint. Those are the rules. The rules are the rules.

International flights may have different rules, check with the specific airline before packing your bags.

Sheesh. Sorry I lost my cool.
:hug:

dustinac
11-14-2006, 03:35 PM
I've never been on an airplane except a small fly around town airplane... dh talked me into it... I would need my knitting with me or I'd drive the other passengers crazy :teehee:

I agree though I would like to see a sticky posted showing what can or can't be brought onto an airplane.. this question is asked often and this way the answer would be there to help everyone :happydance:

Sooze
11-15-2006, 12:55 AM
Yarnharlot says they let her acrry hers...tehe

want2knit
11-15-2006, 01:54 AM
WOW--thanks for your answers, everyone. Sorry I wasn't able to scroll through and read all the posts to see that the ? had been asked recently. I don't have much time to browse on here, and that being said, I'm taking every minute of free time I have sitting on a plane to knit! It's the only time I will probably be unoccupied while away. Anyway, looks like a go--thanks! (I'm a very infrequent flyer too, so haven't read up on the TSA rules)

luv2knit
11-20-2006, 01:49 AM
I flew in May and had no problems with my knitting needles...had a pair of metal needles (could have done without those, but for some reason thought I needed them :thinking: ), and my bamboo circulars. No questions asked. I took a medium size project that I could knit up easily...it was all in garter stitch so no fancy stitching or shaping. I also took a small project to practice my pattern stitches but realized later that at that time I was such a new knitter that trying to follow even a simple pattern was too hard for me on a plane!

When I fly in a few weeks I plan to take another simple project on the plane, and a couple of my favorite knitting magazines. I agree there isn't much room to get much knitting done, but even a little project is nice to have, plus I love having a magazine to look at between stitches. Just take only what you need and pack the rest of your supplies and yarn for when you arrive if you plan to knit at your destination. I have a little travel bag that I take with me wheneven I take my knitting with me and have another box of supplies that I organize and take on longer trips if needed.

Have a great trip!
:waving:

Eloewien
11-20-2006, 11:29 AM
I've flown on multiple work trips this year and the only problem I've had is that the screeners don't quite understand bamboo needles, guess they look odd on the xray machine--- I always make sure to pack them on top just in case. Then they can be pulle out if they wonder and my project is easily accessible. And I second the sock idea--- if you put them in a little bag around your wrist it also gives you something to do while you wait in the annoyingly long lines at security checkpoints!

mulene
11-20-2006, 11:37 AM
No matter where you fly, British Airways apparently do not let them onboard. Something about knitters being dangerous yarn obsessed loonies likely to strangle the captain with their stash and put the needles in their mouths to make funny faces. Like shyeah right - I'd really waste good yarn strangling the captain!

cara
11-20-2006, 02:44 PM
I just flew domestically in Canada and had no problem with metal needles at all. they didn't even open my bag. :)

ecb
11-20-2006, 05:40 PM
They let me bring my knitting with me even to accompany an unaccomanied Minor to her Flight be it international or intranational
they gave my 8yo daughter grief about her hand cream, but never me with my knitting

ecb

madametj
11-28-2006, 07:02 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH!!!

This is going to drive me crazy! :wall:

On domestic flights (within the USA), unless something new happens in the future, your knitting needles are %100 allowed. It doesn't matter if they are made of metal, wood, bamboo, plastic, depleated uranium or cookie dough. It doesn't matter if they are pointy, blunt, circular, streight or double pointed. In the TSA document it makes no distinction it just states "Knitting and Crochet needles = Yes" They are all allowed. Bring your whole knitting bag and stash if you want to, it's fine.

Your pointy scissors are %100 allowed, unless the blades are longer than 4 inches. TSA is not less likely to confiscate your nail clippers than your scissors, they are not going to confiscate either, provided that your scissor blades are under 4 inches long.

Just download and read the newest version of the TSA rules before you take your trip. It's not going to be a different story when you get to the security checkpoint. Those are the rules. The rules are the rules.

International flights may have different rules, check with the specific airline before packing your bags.

Sheesh. Sorry I lost my cool.
:hug:

yes, but the TSA does recommend that u do not use metal, and that your scissor have blunt points http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm

hellokitty165
12-01-2006, 03:10 AM
I travel alot and never had issue with my knitting needles..(bamboo, options, addi turbo, i owed most brands... i bought my whole army of needles and accessories instead of bringing scissors...i bought nail clipper or floss (dental floss) cuter ....hope this helps

Auntie-Em
12-01-2006, 07:14 AM
I just flew to Shanghai, China end of October... it was for work so fortunately was in business class. One of the flight attendents even loaned me her Vogue knitting magazine after she saw me knitting ... which is where I found out about Caps to the Capital ... see the KAL section.

But back to the topic of the post, I was fine with my small Fiskars on American Airlines which allows scissors less than 4" per the website, but when my carry-on was rescreened in Japan, they were confiscated. Clover has a round medallion-style yarn cutter I would recommend traveling with rather than scissors.

mulene
12-01-2006, 07:29 AM
Clover has a round medallion-style yarn cutter I would recommend traveling with rather than scissors.

I wouldn't recommend - I've read of the clover neck thing being confiscated because it has razor type blades inside and can be taken apart fairly easily. The best tip I read for cutting yarn on board a flight is to carry an empty dental floss box and use the little cutting mechanism from that instead.

madametj
12-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Clover has a round medallion-style yarn cutter I would recommend traveling with rather than scissors.

you do not want to do that, here's what the TSA says:

Most of the items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside. These items cannot be taken through a security checkpoint. They must go in your checked baggage.

like mulene said, just bring a dental floss cutter

hellokitty165
12-02-2006, 01:49 AM

I wouldn't recommend - I've read of the clover neck thing being confiscated because it has razor type blades inside and can be taken apart fairly easily. The best tip I read for cutting yarn on board a flight is to carry an empty dental floss box and use the little cutting mechanism from that instead.

yup they would take the clover neck cutter... i use dental floss or nail clipper

luv2knit
12-02-2006, 02:50 AM
I found this information on the TSA website (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm). Circular Needles have a limit length, no metal needles or circular metal cutters. Bring an envelope just in case you have to mail it home.

hellokitty165
12-09-2006, 05:53 PM
got back from maldives and singapore via thru japan....conclusion is that i went thru with my addi-turbo needles and options...clover bamboo and they did not confiscate my needles ....i wonder it depend on the security guards there or what ...it seem that every security check point is different in their searching theory :shrug:

snowbear
12-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Problem w/ envelope to mail back.. very few places have mail boxes close to screeners. I follow the rules & carry a copy of the FAA's list. I pack extra stuff in checked suitcase, and my denise's on board. I've flown into Reagan, Dullas, Baltimore. No probs, San Diego is same..

knitmonster
12-10-2006, 11:54 AM
I flew overseas this summer (out of Dullas Airport (DC)) and didn't have a problem. The advice I was given was to use wooden needles (I guess they're not as scary as metal ones) and to bring along a self addressed stamped envelope so that if they do take them away, you can send your work home. Have a great trip!

stagebear
12-21-2006, 01:44 AM
i just flew from philadelphia to dallas (and back). i had no problem taking my circular bamboos and cutter pendant.

simplethings
12-23-2006, 08:44 PM
i just got back from a business trip to the philippines.
i was able to take two projects there (started with American Airlines and transferred to Philippine Airlines). one was with size 15 bamboo needles. the other was size 7 metal circulars. my carry on was searched but everything was fine.

upon arriving at the airport in the philippines for the flight home i only brought along my size 7 project and it was confiscated. their reason being that the needles were considered pointed objects (?) and that the yarn was considered a rope. both of which are not allowed.
my baggage was checked in and i had no friends waiting outside the airport to pass my project on to so i left it.

in hindsight, i suppose i could've argued that the sharpened pencil in my carry on had more stab power than the blunt needles. and i could've demonstrated that the cashmere-blend yarn i was using breaks easily with a slight tug and explained that my shoelaces are more rope-like than the yarn could ever be.
i guess i was too flustered to think of any of this. when i got onto the plane i finally realized that i could've transferred the project onto a pen or a life line and just ditched the needles and the ball of yarn. o_O

hummingbird
12-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Awww. I'm sorry they stole your stuff!!! I flew domesticly yesterday and was fine. They gave my fiance crap about some glasses cleaner that he forgot was in his bag. It was less than 3oz, but he hadn't put it in an extra plastic bag. That rule is so dumb.