PDA

View Full Version : Irritating Yarn Incident

lilyofforce
11-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi all,

I recently made a scarf for a friend with Feza Fanatic, Color 05 (fades from sky blue to chocolate brown and back in big blocks of color). The last 15 yards turned out to be useless - I came upon a knot where a new length of yarn was added without regard to the color variation, and so I had to cut the scarf severely short, and am now faced with either ripping the entire thing out and starting over using a narrower pattern, or just sending along the slightly stubby version. Pfft.

Anyway, I did go back to the yarn store to show the owner what had happened, and her attitude was "oh well, can't help you - it wouldn't have amounted to much anyway" (the sample version in the store was at least 2 inches longer). I wasn't looking for a refund, but it kind of bothered me that she didn't really care about my project or the time I'd put into it. Does this really happen all the time??

Thanks!
Lily

MrTea
11-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Try registering your disgust with Feza themselves. I looked up the email address for you.

fezausa@ariesllc.com

Be polite, but let them know that you expect more from a premium yarn manufacturer and you won't be buying any Feza yarn in the future.

CarmenIbanez
11-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Well if you have more than one LYS, you should have pointed that out to her. I made myself a promise a long time ago, not to give my money to people who give crappy customer service.

It does happen with yarn now and then. I usually go out of my way to buy an extra skein or two for any project I work on for this reason. I am really sorry about your scarf.

I tend to be a perfectionist. I would probably take it out and rework it into a thinner scarf, but that is just me.

itsazoo
11-14-2006, 11:03 PM
I think the attitude you got at the yarn shop was terrible. I would have asked for a manager.

I made myself a promise a long time ago, not to give my money to people who give crappy customer service.

I couldn't agree with you more! I also tell others about the experience.

I also rave about a place where they go the extra mile and tell everyone.

miccisue
11-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Forgive me here, but I'm confused.

Everyone is coming down on the store owner, but wouldn't that be something beyond her/his control? I mean, they weren't involved in the production of the yarn...how could they know what the yarn company did? Are they supposed to undo every skein/ball/hank of yarn to make sure the supplier hasn't messed up the yarn?

The poster said they weren't looking for a refund, so what was the owner supposed to do? :shrug: What could they say? It was beyond their control, and maybe they were trying to make the buyer feel that their hard work was still OK even if it was an inch or two shorter than the display object.

I mean, yeah, it definitely bites that that happened, but I would think that the displeasure should be directed at the yarn manufacturer, not the seller. I had a problem with the "no dye lot" yarn that I got locally, but instead of complaining to the store, I contacted the manufacturer and got replacement yarn free of charge.

snowbear
11-15-2006, 12:11 AM
I can see your point, but the reason to use a lys is to have customer service. She could have suggested writting the manufacturer. Looking up the addy, or calling them herself. She is in the business of customer service, so going that extra mile would have made points with me, that she agreed with me, and would try to help me w/ the manufacturer.

I left a lys and will not do business due to similar customer service. I prefer to buy over the net now & even pay extra for fast service if I need it. I get better customer service over the net at better prices.

suzeeq
11-15-2006, 02:32 AM
Right, there was nothing she could have done about the yarn, but could have offered to put in a complaint herself or given out the contact information for the company.

sue

HamburgKnitter
11-15-2006, 03:20 AM
The LYS is earning money off their sales, so they should consider themselves responsible for problems like this. Especially if they want to keep customers. That's just plain ol' good customer service. I would never go back to that shop, and I'd be sure to tell the lady why.

Lieke
11-15-2006, 03:28 AM
I wouldn't go back to that LYS either. My lys warns customers in advance that the company's are allowed to have 4!!! knots a skein/ball. I think that's just too much, but it's not the fault of the LYS. But I do think they can at least warn you in advance.

nonny2t
11-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Try registering your disgust with Feza themselves. I looked up the email address for you.

fezausa@ariesllc.com

Be polite, but let them know that you expect more from a premium yarn manufacturer and you won't be buying any Feza yarn in the future.

I totally agree! A reputable yarn company will usually replace the skein. Lion Brand replaced my 2 bad skeins with four! I didn't want them to replace it because I had already taken the skeins back to Michael's and they replaced them with no problem, I just wanted them to be aware there might be a problem with that lot as they were both from the same lot, but they sent me 4 skeins by UPS overnight even!

I think I would consider changing yarn shops and when I did, ask them their policy on skeins that are damaged in someway. You have to stand up for yourself when you have something damaged. You can be polite, but she should have at least replaced it for you even if their policy was not refunding.

miccisue
11-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Playing devil's advocate here.....suppose the yarn store HAD replaced the yarn, only to find the same problem with the replacement. It's obviously a manufacturing issue.

Theoretically, this could have turned into the box inside the box inside the box....especially if yarn companies are "allowed" so many knots per skein.

I personally still feel you "don't kill the messenger". But, that's just my opinion.

moon
11-15-2006, 11:39 AM
I would write the company too. I have used Feza before without problem.

At the very least the LYS could have apologized to you and offered to call the company on your behalf. I would have given you a free skein too. If it happened again then I'm not sure what I would have done, but she should not have acted the way she did. I wouldn't be shopping there again either.

lilyofforce
11-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for all of the feedback.

I certainly didn't think the store owner was at fault here, but yes, it would have made a huge difference if she'd attempted to do any one of the things you've brought up - pointed me in the direction of the company, or made the call for me, or offered to bring it up with the distributor, or even registered an iota of empathy for the time and effort I had put into the project.

BTW, I did follow up with Feza, and they are sending a replacement!

Thank you!
Lily

Mom to Many
11-23-2006, 10:52 PM
I am sure that you were frustrated in light of all of that work!

One of my childen dropped a huge cone of cotton yarn, ready for this, into the toiet. I was so sad...
I could not exactly wash the spool. It was a quick dip, but it was enough to be a bit wet.
It is frustrating to spend money and have the yarn wasted.

ecb
11-24-2006, 03:18 PM
my LYS has exchanged yarn for an equal Skein (smae color and Brand and weight) and they send the one i returned to them back to the manufacturer for THEIR exchange
She wants to know if they are crappy Yarn
I got Burley Spun and it had 2 Knots in 2 of the Hanks, I used it since it was the same color, just untied and then overlapped them, but when I told her she told me I could have brought them back and that she understood my Frustration
that little bit of compassion is why i go back to them
that and the fact that the other place actually SCOWLS at children that walk in, even if they are knitters. My Sister had such a bad experience she Drives an hour for Yarn when the place I go to does not have what she wants. will not set a single foot in the place

sorry you had a bad experience, I have even gone so far as to go into the store i do not buy from to find a yarn to order online.

I get what I want, and am sure its soft enough or has the right verrigation for me
but then again I am a MEAN MOMMY

ecb

sfavereau
11-25-2006, 04:37 AM
My LYS would give me a replacement ball of yarn and send the defective one back to the manufacturer. I know this because they've done it for me (and not just because I'm good friends with them all).

But then again, I wouldn't trade my LYS for the world! I love them so so so much! :muah:

I'm sorry it had to happen that way... but if your LYS won't do anything about it, you did the right thing by writing to the manufacturer and I'm glad you are getting a replacement. It's the least they could do!