PDA

View Full Version : Cable Needle Poll

Jan in CA
11-14-2006, 10:44 PM
What type of cable needle do you prefer or do you prefer none at all? I'm using a j or u hook now, but I'm thinking of having DH make me a short wooden straight one. I know basically how to do it w/o, but the stitches are tight. Just curious for your opinion.

Ingrid
11-14-2006, 10:46 PM
I use a dpn, usually.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-14-2006, 10:54 PM
WOW! me TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :cheering:

knitqueen
11-14-2006, 11:51 PM
I don't use a cable needle. I think I would if I was making really wide, or complicated cables but for the max 6 stitch cables that I do I find it easier and quicker to do it without a needle.

snowbear
11-15-2006, 12:06 AM
I cable w/ a straight aluminum needle, lol. I have a set of AERO needles and it came w/ 4 different size cable needles, all straight. OK. I am really bad on metal types, it won't rust.. and is strong so may not be aluminum, but they are a type of metal.. I love them.. the different sizes are always perfect for whatever yarn I'm using, I use a cable needle a bit smaller and it works great.

I love to cable, and found the straight ones work best for me... xxx

suuuueee
11-15-2006, 12:18 AM
i cable without a needle, unless it's some massive 10 stitch cable or something like that.

Lieke
11-15-2006, 02:37 AM
I use a bent cable needle. I tried DPN's but I like the bent needle more.

knitaddict
11-15-2006, 02:46 AM
I started out learning to do cables with the J needle, but when we were on vacation I bought some straight wooden ones that are narrow-er in the middle than on the ends. And I LOVE them! I've already sent my metal j-needle to Goodwill. lol

How do you cable without a needle???

Limey
11-15-2006, 07:44 AM
I only started doing cabling during the summer and found that the dip in the U (but mine is like a V) was great.

There was about an inch-high piece of metal that the stitches had to climb before they could do a runner and leap off the needle.

If people are new to this sort of patterning and find they prefer a straight needle, a set of children's beads in assorted sizes is very useful. They stop the stitches from falling off and if you don't have that pesky distraction, then you are more likely to get the 'feel' of how to hold the needle more quickly.

All the Best
Limey

PS Jan - I somehow managed to do a whole two inches of knitting on the dreaded metal double pointed needles without getting ladders! - :shrug:
and better yet, without Sam Pup, Cats and Hubby losing an eye or an ear :cheering:

Vendie
11-15-2006, 08:07 AM
I cable without a cable needle. I used to use the cable needles with dips in them. And I'd probably use them for more complicated/wider cables. But for now, I'm loving the whole cabling without a needle thing.

Ronda
11-15-2006, 08:35 AM
I obviously have not done cables yet, but I watched the video here and I've seen instructions. I'm curious how you cable without a needle? What do you do with those stitches?!

Jessica
11-15-2006, 09:12 AM
I have bent cable needles and straights. The bent is nice for smaller projects, but the straights are nice for larger projects and super small projects because I can cut the size I what out of a dowel.

momwolf
11-15-2006, 10:10 AM
I use a DPN because I can stick it in my knitting after I place sts on it to hold in place while I knit other sts.Works GREAT.I have all the cable needles and don't like any of them.

Kirochka
11-15-2006, 11:48 AM
I've never done it myself, but here (http://www.grumperina.com/rightcable.htm)'s a tutorial for knitting cables without a cable needle...

knitqueen
11-15-2006, 11:50 AM
And a slightly different method here (http://wendyknits.net/knit/cablelesson.htm). This is how I do it, and I think it has one less step than Grumperina's method (the one linked above).

AnreeAce
11-15-2006, 12:37 PM
I much prefer my J hook to the U, it just feels more secure.

I'm working on cabling without a needle though, it's pretty cool!

Momma_Jo
11-15-2006, 12:47 PM
U hook.

Jan in CA
11-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Wow..thanks for all the response. I have tried both a bent needle, DPN, and J hook. I hated the bent needle because it was too long and poked me while I knit the other stitches. The DPN was a problem for me for the same reason. The J hook works fine, but it's more time consuming to have to move the stitches on the needle and then back off. I was thinking I could knit right from the short wooden needle and save a step.

Oh and I tried the no needle method, too. The stitches were so tight that way, but then they are tight anyway when you move them back from the J hook or whatever. I think I'll have DH make me a short wooden one and I'll see how it goes. Thanks!

PS Jan - I somehow managed to do a whole two inches of knitting on the dreaded metal double pointed needles without getting ladders! - :shrug:
and better yet, without Sam Pup, Cats and Hubby losing an eye or an ear :cheering:

:cheering: Good for you! I find if I'm still getting a slight ladderish look to it I just adjust the "joint or corner" by moving two stitches over to the next on each needle. :)

Ronda
11-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Thank you to Kirochka and knitqueen for the links! :muah: I learn something new every time I come here!

Kirochka
11-15-2006, 05:07 PM
The power of Google! :wink:

Kaydee
11-15-2006, 05:38 PM
I just started cablling a few weeks ago, but I don't use a needle. What I normally do is slide the stitches onto another needle, pen, pencil, anything with a point, etc. Then I knit the first part of the cable, slide those stitches back onto the needle and then knit them. It's very easy, and works well if you don't have a cable needle.

ecuzzacrea
11-15-2006, 06:12 PM
I always use a DPN. I have a J hook, but I don't like it as much.

knitaddict
11-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Thx for the tutorials. I'm starting the Ropes & Ladders scarf in a few minutes and I think I'll try it that way. :)

Jan in CA
11-15-2006, 08:32 PM
I just started cablling a few weeks ago, but I don't use a needle. What I normally do is slide the stitches onto another needle, pen, pencil, anything with a point, etc. Then I knit the first part of the cable, slide those stitches back onto the needle and then knit them. It's very easy, and works well if you don't have a cable needle.

This is exactly the same thing you do with a cable needle, you just use another tool. :teehee: I DO have a couple cable needles, but I'm not happy with the J hook or bent needle. If I have a wooden cable needle which is really just a short DPN then I could knit right off of it and not have to put the stitches back on. That's my goal anyway. :teehee:

geekgolightly
11-16-2006, 02:00 AM
whatever is handy. i have a tendency to lose small things, so im always at a loss for a cable needle. i knit too tightly to effectively cable without a cable needle so im stuck with that need. right now i am using a tapestry needle to cable my alpaca hat. ive also used a cut piece from chop sticks and from wooden q-tips. whatever is handy. i think ill take the time i cut up a bunch of chop sticks and pile them up in my stash, that way i always have one handy.

Pink Dandelion
11-16-2006, 02:46 AM
I use a DPN that's a needle size or two smaller than the size I'm knitting the project with...

Quiltlady
11-16-2006, 04:49 AM
I first tried the bent medal ones and I did not care for them. They kept moving and sliding right out of the stitch.

The I was visiting a yarn shop on a day trip and there were wooden ones. So I bought them and I just LOVE those. They feel nice, they look nice and they work great. They do NOT slide out.