PDA

View Full Version : Stitch Diva - Sahara (Knit & Tonic Wendy)

pixiepurls
11-15-2006, 01:00 AM
I am simply drooling over here. Wow. Gotta knit it!

http://knitandtonic.typepad.com/
http://www.stitchdiva.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SDS-031

JLC
11-15-2006, 08:32 AM
I like it, but I don't know if it would like me. That model is WAY skinny.

HamburgKnitter
11-15-2006, 09:12 AM
That's gorgeous. :heart: And the long-sleeved version is even nicer!

KnittyKitty
11-15-2006, 09:31 AM
Oooo that's loverly! :teehee: I see it goes to 3x which is good... I bet she's a size 000!! I would love to do this too! Just depends on how much tilli tomas it needs as I have 4 skeins and wouldn't want to spend more money getting more.

Lisa

AmandaC
11-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Lovely ... she has funny eyes tho.

I need to finish the simple knitted bodice first before I even consider this :teehee:

Andrea
11-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Lovely ... she has funny eyes tho.

Agreed!

I really like the short sleeve version on this one...but the long sleeve of the SKB. I wonder if I could pull off a double pattern Tilli Thomas yarn purchase for Christmas. What, it'll only be $1000 or so :shrug: :teehee:

CateKnits
11-15-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm a bit creeped out by the eyes, too!

Jeep_Girl
11-15-2006, 10:36 AM
She looks possessed..... :twisted:

dustinac
11-15-2006, 10:37 AM
I can't wait for the pattern to come out.. I want to give it a try although not sure what yarn I'll use or anything... and usually when I knit for myself it never comes out fitting right.. :rofl: :roflhard:

KnittyKitty
11-15-2006, 10:56 AM
She looks possessed..... :twisted:

Yeah - its like I can see through her eyes! Very creepy :shock:

and what's with that hipbone there waving hi? I would like to be slim but wow!

Eloewien
11-15-2006, 11:26 AM
They're probably white or silver contacts.... not hard to find. Why she would be wearing them, who knows??

Laura

XbelovedXoneX
11-15-2006, 12:02 PM
I love this! Definitely will need a yarn sub though. :teehee:

CateKnits
11-15-2006, 12:07 PM
I didn't think about contacts...I was just hoping they photoshopped her irises or something. :shrug:

pixiepurls
11-15-2006, 02:39 PM
I think she just has super pale eyes and they caught some really good light!

mwedzi
11-15-2006, 09:18 PM
I think she just has super pale eyes and they caught some really good light!

yeah, that mundane explanation is probably the most likely, but it's funnier/scarier to imagine her possessed. maybe that's the look of food-longing in her eyes.

That top is super cute, but I won't be making anything in Tilli Tomas until I have, I don't know, A JOB. Also, that's cut a bit low for me.

jolenel
11-16-2006, 01:20 AM
That sweater is gorgeous! :inlove:

I agree with the low-cut comment...if I made it, I'd definitely want to make it not too tightly fitting and then wear a camisole underneath or something.

dustinac
11-16-2006, 10:13 AM
oh yeah I will have to wear something under it too... :rofl:

KnittyKitty
11-30-2006, 09:52 PM
I don't know if you guys know this already or not but the pattern became available last night! :cheering:

SabrinaJL
12-01-2006, 01:50 AM
maybe that's the look of food-longing in her eyes.

:roflhard: And I was wondering about the hipbones thing too, KnittyKitty. Really cute top though.

Angelia
12-01-2006, 07:52 AM
I don't know if you guys know this already or not but the pattern became available last night! :cheering:

I got the email and did a "squeeeeeeeeeeeee!!" :teehee:

I'd love to make the short-sleeved version. I don't like the low-cut front, though. Camisole time, I guess!

dustinac
12-01-2006, 09:58 AM
:cheering: :happydance: got the e-mail yesterday will have to wait though till after the holidays... and when I find a different yarn :teehee:

redwitch
12-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Yes I want this pattern too. I often see hipbones jutting out through naked skin on models in lingerie/bikinis, but have never seen them prominent enough to be visible through knitted fabric. That's a worry. Here's hoping it looks good on bigger sizes. They show several variations on it - of colour/neck detail/sleeve type, but heaven forfend we get to see a medium-sized version.
Hope it suits a DD-cup :teehee:
Sarah

redwitch
12-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Well of course I would know, because I have never done a jumper or anything besides hats/gloves/socks/scarves/cowls-type items, but the pattern calls for the textured neckline to be sewn together from the very base of that textured panel. So the vertical neckline was sewn together from there upwards, and the bottom of the 'v' neckline is simply where the designer chose to stop stitching. So I think the neckline is easily adaptable to your chest shape/size and personal taste for showing skin. Again, I've never done items like this before, but I've seen sweater/tank-type patterns, and this one seems very easily adaptable to change the fit. Who else is knitting this/has bought the pattern? I'm especially interested in choices of wool/yarn. You Americans, how much does that recommended stuff - Tilli Thomas? - actually cost? I've seen you allude to it... and I see one yarn listed as containing 'semi-precious stones'. Keep fecken dreaming.
So I'll be subbing, and have little experience with selecting what makes the desired fabric for an item like this. Please post what fibre content you chose, and why, and especially how that affects the way you interpret your gauge swatch? Especially anyone in New Zealand. Hell, even Australia. It may be something I can get.
Who's in for the KAL or bought the pattern?

Sarah

allegra918
12-04-2006, 01:56 PM
I bought the pattern and I am hoping that Santa brings me the yarn for Christmas! I love the short sleeved purple one!!! MUST HAVE!!

pixiepurls
12-14-2006, 04:24 PM
I found a small pattern error, be careful when you do the hip increases, the instructions don't take into account the 5th middle-underarm-halfway-point marker, which shouldn't have any increases even though the instructions make it sound like it should.

Annyka
12-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Gah -- what's a good substitution on the yarn? I can't even imagine paying $38 plus shipping on 7-8 skeins of yarn, that's a $300 sweater!?!?!?!

mystery
12-15-2006, 11:13 PM
For free? Or to buy? This will have to be my next project, it's so cute.

Kiri
12-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Have you guys seen the knitalong that is just getting started for this here: http://saharakal.blogspot.com/ ?

itsjustmeghan
03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
did anyone end up knitting this one? i just found the pattern, and i'd LOVE to have the short sleeved version for this spring/summer.
i'm trying to see if anyone has found a good yarn sub.... :shrug:

adopt4him
03-05-2007, 03:35 PM
I started Sahara 5 days ago. We had a huge snow storm and I got 2 days of straight knitting. I have the body done and 1/3 of a sleeve. Making the long sleeve version out of Knit Picks Andean Silk in Olive. It is a recomended sub yarn and it is wonderful. I am threading beads for the lace trim because I thought the yarn wouldn't drape as well without them.

I love the pattern and have made a couple mods but only to slightly enhance the fit for me. A highly recomended to-knit.

allieal
03-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Could somone HELP!
I have the pattern and the yarn...but I dont get the pattern directions!

I have never done a top down sweater before.
I am making the 1x size. I cast on 78 stitches. Now what?
Do I do back, back armhole, front, front armhole all in a row like that?
Help ASAP please!!!!!

Jillle
03-26-2007, 08:24 PM
This sweater was picked by "The Sexy Knitter's Club" as their next KAL. http://sexyknittersclub.blogspot.com/

VickyS456
03-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Could somone HELP!
I have the pattern and the yarn...but I dont get the pattern directions!

I have never done a top down sweater before.
I am making the 1x size. I cast on 78 stitches. Now what?
Do I do back, back armhole, front, front armhole all in a row like that?
Help ASAP please!!!!!

just follow the directions as printed. It will make sense after you get going :)

Liliyarn
04-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Okay, I need to clarify the pattern....

I'm at the Waist Shaping & Join Front section. It's still being knit flat and I did the very first decrease row. 65 rows total.

Now do I work one row (purl back) then immediately cast on 20 stitches to Join Front and continue to count the rows for the decrease rounds?

Or do I

Wait until I've finished the decreases and have the correct number of rows then cast on the 20 Join Front stitches?

I'm pretty sure I do the first as that what "At the same time" means to me. I got Tilli and I'm not wanting to frog it unless I have to so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance!!

lissalue
04-02-2007, 08:52 PM
i really want to get this pattern, but they only take visa and mastercard, and all i have is discover and paypal. i am so sad. :pout:

Jan in CA
04-02-2007, 09:31 PM
i really want to get this pattern, but they only take visa and mastercard, and all i have is discover and paypal. i am so sad. :pout:

Why don't you email them and ask about sending a check or something. I can't believe they'd turn down a potential customer.

lissalue
04-02-2007, 09:35 PM

Why don't you email them and ask about sending a check or something. I can't believe they'd turn down a potential customer.

:doh: good idea, don't know why i didn't think of this

Mer
04-03-2007, 09:18 PM
I just bought this pattern and I'm hoping to get the yarn this weekend. Yay!

Liliyarn, did you figure out your issue? I looked at the pattern but since I haven't started yet, the directions didn't really make sense to me.

Liliyarn
04-04-2007, 02:30 AM
Yeah I figured it out. I had a :whoosh: moment. I had to read the pattern a few times for it to sink in. My first instinct was right. Do all the decreases then cast on the additional 20 front stitches. So, I am on the second set of decreases. I'm guessing a little less than half way. Still knitting it flat.

cindyln
04-07-2007, 10:40 PM
I just finished the first 2 rows. I worked with the provisional cast on all afternoon but finally figured it out. Hope it is smooth sailing from here. I am knitting it along with the Sexy Knitters club

Liliyarn
04-08-2007, 04:15 AM
Finished the waist increases and am well into knitting it in the round. I'll try it on in a few rounds. Loving the tilli yarn.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-08-2007, 12:12 PM
let's see some WIP pictures!!! :tap:

Shandeh
04-10-2007, 09:27 PM
I just got the pattern today! :cheering:

lissalue
04-10-2007, 09:47 PM
I just got the pattern today! :cheering:

did you get it from the website?

Shandeh
04-11-2007, 12:04 AM
yep

Liliyarn
04-11-2007, 02:23 AM
Um...my WIP pic isn't very interesting. It's a ST stitch tube thingie. I thought I'd post a pic when it actually looks like something....

itsjustmeghan
04-11-2007, 10:06 AM
what yarn are you guys using for this one?
i was thinking andean silk, but i'm worried it'd be too bulky...is it a lighter weight worsted they use? i can't afford the real thing....

cindyln
04-11-2007, 10:13 AM
I am using valley yarns Goshen from webs. It is a cotton,modal and silk mixture. I am really liking it.

Liliyarn
04-11-2007, 11:19 AM
This is a rather big splurge from the DH, so I am using tilli. I heard andean silk or some KP yarn does great with this pattern. Can't recall which one it was though....

cindyln
04-11-2007, 02:45 PM
here is a WIP picture. I am 1 row away from joining the round.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/cindyln/DSCF0394.jpg

Mrs. D.
04-11-2007, 03:14 PM
I just ordered this pattern. I started and I am about 3 inches into it. I am making size L so for the first part, I have to knit 6.5 inches in St st. I had to read the pattern about six times to figure out where to start. I kept missing the sleeve and neckline instructions where the Diamond Rib patterns are needed and since I did not see them in the instructions when I went through them, I kept thinking that is where I was supposed to start. But logically, I started at the point from the provisional cast.

I can't wait to see pics of others Sahara. I am also following it on the Sexy Knitters blog.

Liliyarn
04-15-2007, 04:00 AM
I'm at the last set of hip increases! Then on to shirt tail hem shaping. I also tried it on and it fit perfectly! Either I'm smaller than I thought or the silk really stretches. :teehee:

Just imagine...if I were able to actually knit on this every night it would be finished in no time. A quick knit sweater.

thischicknits
04-15-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm waiting for them to email me the pattern then I will join you all! :happydance:

cindyln
04-16-2007, 10:11 PM
I am so frustrated with this top that I had to lay it down today or I would have ripped it all out. I am done with the increases and shirt tail bottom. I am very unhappy with it My increases are so loose and holey. I don't know what to do about it. I don't know why it is so loose. I am a tight knitter. It is very noticeable too.

thischicknits
04-16-2007, 11:21 PM
:pout:
I'm so sorry you're having problems with this! I can't help as I don't have the pattern yet. Sometimes it is good to set it aside til the frustration lessens...
good luck!

Mer
04-17-2007, 08:37 AM
I am so frustrated with this top that I had to lay it down today or I would have ripped it all out. I am done with the increases and shirt tail bottom. I am very unhappy with it My increases are so loose and holey. I don't know what to do about it. I don't know why it is so loose. I am a tight knitter. It is very noticeable too.

Are you doing m1 increases? The only thing that I can think of that might be the issue is if you're not twisting the stitch after you pick it up--I can't really explain it well but Amy's videos show how to m1R/L pretty clearly. Otherwise, maybe blocking will help?

Liliyarn
04-18-2007, 01:41 AM

I notice my increases. They are a bit more "open" than the original stitches. I'm not too worried about it. I've done everything possible to make them more seamless. So, that is what they will be. I really doubt a non-knitter will notice.

catownedanna
04-18-2007, 04:53 AM
This post's wedish word/phrase: "Jag vill börja sticka med mitt Malabrigogarn" = "I want to start knitting with my Malabrigo yarn"
_____

Hej everyone!

I fell in love with Sahara ages ago and put her on my to-do-list.

Now, I have some wonderful Malabrigo at home just waiting to be knitted up. And I'm thinking about kniting Sahara. What do you think? Would Malabrigo be a good yarn for Sahara? It has about the same gauge as the suggested Tomas Tilli, but is 100% wool and therefore lack the stretchyness of silk yarns... Any thoughts?

Also... About the contrast yarn... What are you guys using? I have no clue what I'll go with and don't really know what to go looking for either. I'm not overly in love with yarns that look like the suggested three with beads ands such in them. What kind of qualities do you think I should go for when choosing contrast yarn? Would it look strange to combine a soft Malabrigo with a more textured tweed?

Any help at all is appreciated! :hug:

thischicknits
04-18-2007, 02:26 PM
The charge has been made for the pattern purchase but they have not emailed me yet. I'm getting anxious and want my pattern!!![/list]

Mer
04-18-2007, 07:11 PM
The charge has been made for the pattern purchase but they have not emailed me yet. I'm getting anxious and want my pattern!!!

I don't think I got mine as an email--after you pay it takes you to a page where you enter in a special code, right? You should have entered that and then gotten it immediately. If you bought it a while ago I would contact them.

itsjustmeghan
04-18-2007, 08:22 PM
i think i'm going to knit this one up after i finish dh's blanket. i want to do this one and a couple zephyr short sleeved tanks as well. i think i'll use KP andean silk. i loved knitting with it for the wicked, but i'll definately do the knit with smaller needles and block bigger method. the silk likes to relax a bit too much...my wicked is monsterous now...
i can't wait to see more WIP pictures!

thischicknits
04-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks, Mer. I'm going to contact them tomorrow...

Jillle
04-21-2007, 12:15 PM
If anyone is looking for yarns to substitute for the TT...I found this on the Knit and Tonic website. Wendy writes:

BTW: I just got Stefanie Japel's book, Fitted Knits. Looking good! I also noticed that the Sexy Knitter's Club voted Sahara as one of the garments they'll knit for their current KAL. A lot of people are looking for substitutes and I grabbed a handful of yarns that were sitting in a basket next to my computer that might work: Classic Elite Premiere (a cotton/tencel), Tahki Cotton Classic, and the Crystal Palace Bamboozle, which is a cotton, bamboo and stretchy nylon blend that might be a stretch (heh) but could possibly be great in the short sleeve version. Other ideas (but note these aren't tried and true and you'll have to be the judge): Classic Elite Bam Boo, Artyarns Regal Silk, Cascade Pima Tencel, Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece, Artyarns Ultramerino, Knitpicks Andean Silk, Karabella Aurora 8, Rowan's Bamboo Tape and the Berroco Bonsai (also a tape bamboo blend).

lispiers
04-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Am I the only one having problems with the diamond rib pattern on the Sahara pattern?

I am at the bottom of the sweater and I am following the pattern exactly, I have had to rip it back 3 times now because i start with 150 stitches but by the time I have finished my 8 rounds and doing the k3tog tbl I have decreased so much that I can't get the sweater on ! I have looked at other pictures of the finished sweater and no one else seems to have this problem. If I am k3tog tbl, how r the stithces then made up to stop the garment becoming too tight?

I am realy getting fed up, this pattern has been so easy up till now, I am following the pattern exactly, but i can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Please help.

Mer
04-26-2007, 09:06 AM
lispiers, I haven't actually started knitting mine yet, but looking at the pattern it seems that the yo's in Row 1 of the Diamond Rib pattern make up the difference in the decreases. So even though you're doing k3tog TBL, you've increased earlier to make up the stitches. Are you doing all of the yo's in Row 1? That's the only thing I can't think of that might be causing the problem. :shrug:

lispiers
04-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks, having looked at it, I guess I was reading it as I would a normal British pattern - YO to me means to place the yarn to the back (or the front) through the needles. I did rip it out and start again but I then ended up with too many stitches and although the rip was nice an wavy, it didn't look right, so I have ripped it out again and done a moss stitch (seed stitch) edging instead which I have now carried on with at the neckline - it actually looks quite nice!

Thanks so much for your help. :teehee:

Liliyarn
04-29-2007, 03:59 PM
WIP Pic as requested...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-29-2007, 05:27 PM
:cheering: :inlove: :cheering:

Liliyarn
05-05-2007, 10:47 AM
I hope to knit on Sahara this weekend and have it finished up in the next two weeks at the most :happydance:

It isn't like it is a huge knit project. I've just been neglecting it. Hopefully, FO pics soon!!

lispiers
05-09-2007, 11:18 AM
I finally finished my Sahara.

I had huge difficulty with the diamond rib ( I'm only a beginner), so I decided to do a moss stitch (seed stitch ) instead.

I am really pleased with the results! I used Louisa Harding Fauve and Fauve with Shingle for the trim.

I'm thinking of doing the long sleeved pattern next!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/lispiers/IMAG0008.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/lispiers/IMAG0008.jpg

Jan in CA
05-09-2007, 01:16 PM
That looks fabulous! I have the pattern to make for my daughter. What yarn did you use?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-09-2007, 01:51 PM
It looks great!!! What yarn is the sparkly part?

lispiers
05-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks! I am really please with it.

I used LOUISA HARDING FAUVE for the main body and then used the FAUVE again with LOUISA HARDING SHINGLE which gives it a bit of a different texture and sparkle. Also, the fauve is stretchy so the top fits super well without being too tight.

The tension was exactly as the pattern required, so I didn't have to change the needle size.

:cheering:

kristinw
05-09-2007, 03:35 PM
That looks great and fits you well! Great job! :cheering:

Liliyarn
05-18-2007, 10:48 PM
I am almost finished! Two sleeves to knit then weave in the ends and I am done!!! :cheering: woohoo....

blueeyes28
05-22-2007, 06:57 AM
I am getting ready to start the hip increases on this sweater and I am starting to panic because I have read the instructions for the neck a few times and I am not getting it!!!Is it easier than it seems?

kristinw
05-22-2007, 07:59 AM
I am hoping to start this soon. I just need one more skein of yarn. I have some Tilli Tomas in a wonderful blue color. I bought it on sale with no project in mind and realized that I had almost enough to make this.

Seems a little challenging in some spots, but otherwise a pretty quick knit!

Liliyarn
05-22-2007, 08:18 AM
I am done everyone!! I still have to weave in ends though. I'll post pics soon!

blueeyes28: It is easier than the pattern makes you feel. I had to re-read two parts several times before they sunk in. If you have any issues just post what is giving you a head ache and I'm sure we'll be able to help you through.

I am sooo gonna knit this again with other yarns.

Mrs. D.
05-22-2007, 10:25 AM
I am about a little less than half way done. It is coming along well. I am slow. This is my first wearable. I am finding the pattern a little challenging. I am at the point where I just joined and I am knitting in the round.

Mer
07-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I finally got yarn for this--I hope it works! It's Pegasus from www.elann.com (http://www.elann.com).

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1363/718730133_0a1b4787da_m.jpg

I have a few other projects I'm working on but I hope to get to Sahara soon!

Mrs. D.
07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
I am working on the Sahara. I am near the bottom and the pattern says "wrap ......." I am at work and don't have the exact words near me and then it says not to knit in the round but wrap and turn, could someone further explain this. Thanks.

Mer
09-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Mrs. D, did you figure it out? You're doing short rows, so it might help to look up some short row tutorials if you're unsure of what to do.

I finally finished mine!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1187/1343671560_dff1b64b6f_m.jpg

It's the size small with a few modifications (extra hip increases), and I used 8 balls of Pegasus from www.elann.com (http://www.elann.com). I had to do an extra lace repeat in the center to get it to fit, because I think I chose the wrong size, but it worked out!

winterblues
09-15-2007, 11:46 AM
That's really nice... love the colour too.

:thumbsup: