PDA

View Full Version : My first FO, Finally!!

Jessica
11-15-2006, 10:11 AM
I finally finished my first FO! Its my new knitting bag. I took me about a month to make because of school and normal household activities. I got sick of trying to find all my knitting stuff when I first started. It turned out almost exactly how I wanted except for the straps. I would have liked them to be a little thicker. It took two wash cycles, one on the heavy dutie 88 minute stain cycle, and another 68 minute stain cycle!!! Thats what happen when you dont knit it loose enough, it takes forever to felt. Hope you enjoy! :muah:

Jessica
11-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Blocking on the bucket....

Jessica
11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Standing on its own like I wanted it too!

Jessica
11-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Inside of the bag. It can hold up to 10 skiens or more of I really pack it.

nonny2t
11-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Cool bag!

Jessica
11-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Close-up of the inside pockets I made to hold my straights and my "others" like circs, stitch holders, scissors etc. I should have made the straight pocket longer and sewed it in deeper in the bag. Guess I'll remember that next time :shrug:

psammeadred
11-15-2006, 10:28 AM
THAT's your first FO? Wow...very impressed.

Jessica
11-15-2006, 10:31 AM
:oops: Thanks guys :oops:

Lisa Kay
11-15-2006, 12:02 PM
:cheering: Very cool bag! What pattern did you use? And how did you do the pockets on the inside?

AnreeAce
11-15-2006, 12:29 PM
That's just beautiful! :inlove:

What a great first FO!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Stonington
11-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Love it! The colors are great! You did a fantastic job. :cheering:

anne
n sebago me

Jan in CA
11-15-2006, 01:51 PM
That's wonderful! Did you sew the pockets on after felting or before?

aineepooh1
11-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Awesome!! what a great idea for a first project!! It is practical, colorful, and portable!!~~How cool is that!!~~
Great Job! :yay:

itsazoo
11-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Wow! That is a great bag! I'm in awe!

That's wonderful! Did you sew the pockets on after felting or before?
I was wondering the same thing.

Chel
11-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Beautiful! :heart: I love the colors! For a first project I am impressed!
:) and it felted so beautifully!

mks22300
11-15-2006, 07:22 PM
It looks wonderful, I love your colour combo!!

Jessica
11-15-2006, 10:43 PM
:cheering: Very cool bag! What pattern did you use? And how did you do the pockets on the inside?

I didnt have a pattern, I just made it up as I went. I kinda had an idea of what I wanted it to look like so I went off that. I knitted the pockets seperate from the bag, and sewed them in before I felted the bag. Thats why my straights pocket is a little smaller and not deep enough then I wanted it. I actually didnt pick the colors, although Im in love with them, especially the red, its so beautiful. The Boy actually picked the colors out on his first trip to the LYS (cant believe I got him in there, let alone take part in color choosing). I couldnt make up my mind and he grabbed the colors and said "How about these, do they match?". I looked over and they were puuurfect!
My needle size was too small by normal felting standards ( I didnt mind) which was why I had such a long felting time, but on the plus side, the knit was very tight and thats what I wanted.

I used Size 7, 36" bamboo Circs
Cascade 220 Quatro Wool Yarn
2 skiens of Green 9432 (left overs)
2 Skiens of Purple 9437 (left overs)
4 skiens of Red 9433 (left overs)
CO 222 sts
15 rows per color
Do how ever many stripes you want
Regular knit on 7" straights on straps and bottom.
Thats it!

Thank you for everyones complements. What an ego boost :muah:

Amber
11-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Wow, that really is fabulous! Great design and lovely color combo! :cheering:

Compulsive
11-16-2006, 01:13 AM
Wonderful bag, Jessica! :cheering: :cheering:

A few more questions about your bag, if I may?

Did you knit the bottom seperately from the body of the bag? If so, how many stitches did you cast on straight needles?

Also, how many stitches did you cast on for the straps, and how many stitches did you decrease before knitting even?

I love the JESSICA BAG! I'm going to make one for me to take to dd's dance classes, and one for my mom, too!

Your bag rocks!

Lieke
11-16-2006, 03:25 AM
:inlove: that looks really great.

Mama Bear
11-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Beautiful bag! I love the colors. This is your first FO? Your stitches look so nice and even.

Mama Bear

cara
11-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Fantastic work! Amazing for a first FO! you should be so proud and show it off and tell everyone that you made such a gorgeous item!!! :cheering:

Jessica
11-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Wow, I am so flattered, a bag named after me! Thank you guys. I showed the bag off to my mom and dad and they loved it.

Compulsive: I will gladly give you the full pattern. If you dont like something, change it up. Im very excited to see what you come up with :hug:

Now lets see, the pattern. Everything can be tweaked untill it fits your fancy.
BAG
~Size 7, 36" bamboo Circs (or whatever size or length you want)
~Cascade 220 Quatro Wool Yarn ( or any colors you want)
2 skiens of Green 9432 (left overs)
2 Skiens of Purple 9437 (left overs)
4 skiens of Red 9433 (left overs)
~Stitch markers

~CO 222 sts (if you do 222 sts, you will notice I packed them on there, but there was plenty of room for more)
~ Knit every row ( this will make a stockinette stitch)
~ Knit 15 Rows per color (depending on how thick you want it). Keep the stitch marker at the begining of each new row always so you can tell where you started.
~Knit as many stripes untill desired length. I knitted every color three times except for red which I did four times so begining and end matched.
~BO

[/b]Bottom

Size 7 straight needles
~CO 56 sts in Red
~Knit 56 rows (this will leave 2 or 3 more stitches on one side then the rest. This was the closest number stitches I could get to make the bottom square and match up with the number of stitches on the bag)
~BO

Straps

*note: depending on how thick you want the straps depends on number of stiches you cast on and decrease. I knitted half of the strap at a time then sewed two together to make one complete strap.This is what I did:
~CO 26 sts in Red
Rows 1-3:K
Row 4: *K2tog, knit, k2tog (* On decreasing rows, knit first two and last two stitches together)
Rows 5-6:Knit
Row 7: K2tog, knit, k2tog
Rows 8-9:Knit
Row 10: K2tog, Knit, K2tog
Rows 11-12:Knit
Row 13: K2tog, knit, K2tog
Rows 14-15:Knit
Row 16: K2tog, knit, K2tog
Rows 17-18: Knit
Row 19: K3tog, knit, K3tog
Rows 20-21: Knit
Row 22: K2tog, knit, k2tog
Rows 23-__: Knit (knit to desired length)
~BO

Finish[b]

~Knit as many pockets at whatever size you want, then sew on inside of the bag(remember when you felt, pockets will shrink and if you make a straight pocket dont make the mistake I did by not sewing it in deep enough)
~Sew on bottom and straps (I turned the bad inside-out to sew the bottom and straps on to make a clean seam when bag is flipped back)

That should be it. I cant think of anything else that I did, but if I do, I promise I will add it. If you have questions, feel free to ask.
This is how big the bag is relavent to me with.

rorygilmore
11-16-2006, 11:47 PM
I WANT IT!!!!!! :heart: :heart: Its so awesome and big!!!!! Thanks for the pattern!!! :happydance: <--- thats me doing the happy dance!

Jessica
11-17-2006, 01:22 AM
I dont know why this didnt go through the first time. Lets try it again.

want2knit
11-17-2006, 11:49 AM
That's beautiful! I want to make one of those now! Your colors are gorgeous too.

kemp
11-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Very nice! Congrats on your first project!