PDA

View Full Version : self striping yarn suggestions

vknits
11-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Hi,
Could anybody suggest any self striping yarn like Noro Kureyon but softer than that?
Thanks

knitqueen
11-15-2006, 02:23 PM
There's the new Patons SWS (http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=sws), which I haven't personally used but have heard great things about it.

candicane
11-15-2006, 03:07 PM
This is Artyarns Handpaint Stripes #105. It is 100% merino (machine washable). It is more of a variegated self-striping.

I just started using it today. It is listed as worsted weight, but I think it is more like DK or light worsted. I am using a #7 needle. I thought the suggested #8 made for too lose of a fabric. This is the start of a headband. The colors are prettier in person. It is quite soft.

candice

Calamintha
11-15-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm planning on trying some Karaoke yarn from SouthWest Trading company when I get a chance. I saw some beautiful fingerless gloves made from it online:

http://www.kpixie.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=961

I don't know how it compares in softness to Noro but it is 50% bamboo.

candicane
11-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Somewhere I read about a new Plymouth yarn called BOKU that is self striping, worsted weight (i think). It is a wool/silk blend.

candice

Compulsive
11-15-2006, 04:10 PM
I really love Paton's SWS, and also have a few balls of Crystal Palace Taos--a twead self-striping yarn http://www.straw.com/cpy/yarns/taos-card.html , and Crystal Palace Merino Stripes http://www.straw.com/cpy/yarns/merino_stripes-packs2.html

knit-errant
11-15-2006, 04:52 PM
I saw some Rowan Tapestry at my LYS. It's a DK weight, but it's reeeally pretty.

I also like Knit One, Crochet Too's Paintbox -- I love all of their colorways.

mwedzi
11-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Webs has the Plymouth Boku, it is just 5% silk.

I got some self-striping off of Ebay. It's soft wool and at $4 for 100 grams, the price can't be beat.

But I was just wondering, is there any superwash self-striping wool?

eta: i clicked the link someone posted to the fingerless gloves shown on kpixie, and saw that now there is something called "karaoke soft", which is apparently a softer version of the original karaoke

doyvicios
11-15-2006, 11:24 PM
uh..new knitter, I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what exactly is self striping yarn?

Jan in CA
11-16-2006, 12:02 AM
uh..new knitter, I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what exactly is self striping yarn?

Yarn that stripes without you having to change colors. :teehee: :happydance:

BillSpace
11-16-2006, 01:18 PM
I just made a hat with Diakeito Diamusee. Soft wool, pretty colors. About the same price as Kureyon. It was right next to the Kureyon in my LYS, and I agree that the Noro is stiff and scratchy feeling.

knit-errant
11-17-2006, 06:07 AM
I just made a hat with Diakeito Diamusee. Soft wool, pretty colors. About the same price as Kureyon. It was right next to the Kureyon in my LYS, and I agree that the Noro is stiff and scratchy feeling.

Ooh, I'll second Diakeito stuff! I made a scarf with Diakeito Diadomina a few weeks ago. Very pretty yarn -- nice colors, nice sheen, soft.

andshewas
11-19-2006, 11:59 PM
I'm a big fan of Gedifra Fashion Trend Stripe.
It's partly acrylic, but it's incredibly soft and the colors are luscious.
It's also machine washable/dryable.

letah75
11-21-2006, 02:49 PM
I read this thread, and went to Michael's to check out the SWS, knowing that I would never buy yarn at Michael's. Because ever since I found this site, I have only been going to my LYS.

Imagine my suprise when I went to Michael's and found I am in love with the SWS, and they are now selling all natural fibers....I have restarted my love afair with my local (national) craft store. Unfortuantely, this is to the detriment of both my bank account and the tidyness of my house.

mulene
11-22-2006, 07:39 AM
Colinette have a new yarn out called Cadenza. It is superwash Merino wool (which means its gonna be soft) I have yet to feel it but I am >this< close to buying enough to make Lucie from Knitty.com

candicane
11-22-2006, 09:48 AM
I love Colinette yarns! They are pricey, but oh so nice and the colors are beautiful!

candice