PDA

View Full Version : I need your help/suggestion

nonny2t
11-16-2006, 10:09 AM
I have a very basic diagonal baby blanket pattern I am making for my new to be grandbaby. I have made this several times using Bernat Baby Lash but always solid color. I would like to spice it up a bit and stripe it using each of the pastel solid colors they offer. white, yellow, green, blue, pink and lavender. As it is a big blanket and the skeins are small, 1.75 oz each should I A) knit two skeins before changing color or B) use one then change (perconal ideas about this) and secondly, since I am doing a large area and using a whole or two whole skeins for each stripe, should I go ahead and "tie" on to the next color and weave in the end of the previous as if I were finishing with it since I am using the whole skein then if the same color comes back up again, just start it new, right?

I hate to be such a nudge, but I haven't really done color change patterns before and the ones I did were like the edge of a hat being one color, then the body was different solid color so I know little to nothing about color change except what I have watched here in the videos.

You ladies are all aces as I continually have to ask your advice and you always come through for me! One day, maybe I will be the one with all the knowledge....(maybe, but not likely :rofl: )

Faye

feministmama
11-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Well I like lotsa color so I would do as many color changes as I could. AND doing more color changes also requires more weaving in ends. So keep that in mind. As far as weaving in ends, I usually make a knot with the end of the last skein and the begining of the next skein and then go back and weave each color into its own section. Good luck.

andshewas
11-20-2006, 12:28 AM
by diagonal, do you mean that you're starting at a corner and then increasing on both ends until you get the desired size and then decreasing when you're working on the second half?

if i'm assuming correctly, and if that's the case, keep in mind that if you're knitting through an entire skein or two before changing colors, you'll have wide stripes towards the start and ends of your blanket and skinny stripes across the diagonal in the center where your rows are longer.

maybe you'd want to do your color changes based on the numbers of rows rather than on when the skein gives out. then again, maybe that would be a cool look for the blanket. (depends on the 'look' you're going for)

there is also a technique for weaving your ends in as you go...
here's a great site with pics:
http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2006/06/knitting_your_e.html