PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Mistakes in Knitting Driving Me Insane (semi-rant)

trollgirl
11-16-2006, 03:56 PM
I finished one of my Fetching convertible mittens yesterday. While I was admiring it, I noticed that the cables on the flip-top I made was one row too short. Horrified, I checked the cable pattern and realized I should have made an extra row. Numbers got mixed up in my head and I knitted only four rows. Now the cables on the flip top don't match the ones on the wrist.

Now, I've frogged the basic fingerless glove once, because I forgot one extra cable twist. I've also ripped the mitten flippy top twice because I didn't like the way it looked. I was basically making it as I went, since there is no pattern for a flippy top. First I only put cables on the front of the mitten. Didn't like that, then ripped it. Then I put cables in the middle of the flip-top. Didn't like that either and ripped it. Now my cables are a little shorter and stumpier looking than the ones on the wrist.

The mittens still look good, but I know the mistake is there. I really really don't want to frog them again, but I feel guilty for not wanting to. Like the mitten is going to stare at me accusingly forever and say in a tiny mitten voice: "You broked me!" And the next mitten I make will have an intentional mistake in it, to match. Am I crazy? Does anyone else ever feel knitting guilt like this? Like you have a perfectly good piece of knitting that everyone says is awesome, but you look at it and only see the flaws?

- tam

Stiney
11-16-2006, 03:58 PM
If you do it on the pair, then it's not an intentional mistake, it's design. :)

Ingrid
11-16-2006, 04:00 PM
I've knit things like that. First, though, everything I make has a mistake in it somewhere :shrug: . Most of the time, I'm the only one who sees it. If it hollers at me, though, I fix it. If it's just a difference in what the pattern called for--then it's personalized.

suecq
11-16-2006, 04:11 PM
The beautiful (and expensive) turkish rugs always - always have a mistake in them. This is done with purpose as the makers believe only God (Allah) can do anything perfect.

Stiney
11-16-2006, 04:13 PM
I never understood that. How can it be a mistake if you did it in purpose?

trollgirl
11-16-2006, 04:15 PM
The beautiful (and expensive) turkish rugs always - always have a mistake in them. This is done with purpose as the makers believe only God (Allah) can do anything perfect.

Wow... that's really inspiring. It really makes me feel better about everything. Maybe I should see mistakes as signs that something is just unique and handmade.

Ingrid
11-16-2006, 04:15 PM

I never heard it put that way. Good point. Maybe imperfect is better? :shrug:

janelanespaintbrush
11-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Like the mitten is going to stare at me accusingly forever and say in a tiny mitten voice: "You broked me!"

:teehee:

I share your pain. I'm a frogaholic, and I know I need to learn how to accept some little mistakes once in a while. It's tough.

Stiney
11-16-2006, 04:20 PM

I never heard it put that way. Good point. Maybe imperfect is better? :shrug:

That makes sense, I guess.

dustinac
11-16-2006, 04:27 PM
They make me crazy too... I use to frog out everything that would drive me crazier :teehee: so one day I just stopped and accepted it... :rofl:

My mom has a friend who puts a mistake in her quilts cause she says only God is perfect so her quilts won't be... none of my mistakes are on purpose I don't usually spot them for several inches then its just laziness that takes over and then I quote her and make myself feel better.. :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
11-16-2006, 04:50 PM
My knitting always has my hair in it. Am I the only one this happens to? I have long hair and I shed a lot. :-) My husband says that the scarf around his neck will always have my DNA in it, just in case he needs it.

trollgirl
11-16-2006, 04:53 PM
It happens to me too. Sometimes I see a hair sticking out and I'll try to remove it. Occasionally it's woven in and hopelessly stuck. Ah well. Hair in knitting is not half as gross as hair in food.

jolenel
11-16-2006, 04:57 PM
That happens to me too! My roommate and I both have long hair, so it seems like no matter how much we sweep and vacuum, we end up with hair absolutely everywhere. You'd think the two of us were going bald from how much we shed! It drives me nuts when I'm knitting projects with light yarn (I have dark hair).

lissalue
11-16-2006, 05:03 PM
happens to me too!! my hair is also dark, so it shows up in light things really bad. makes it more personal!!! :roflhard:

janelanespaintbrush
11-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Ditto on the long hair problem. It really does get everywhere. You wanna hear something funny? Once I was in a restaurant and found a hair in my food. Aghast, I pulled it out... and it was attached to my head! :rofl: It's always getting caught in stuff too.

suzeeq
11-16-2006, 05:52 PM
My knitting always has my hair in it. Am I the only one this happens to? I have long hair and I shed a lot. :-) My husband says that the scarf around his neck will always have my DNA in it, just in case he needs it.

Me too, especially some of the older yarn that's been around a while.I've been trying to keep the new stuff hairless, but I think a few wind up in there.

And to trollgirl: knitting is supposed to be fun and relaxing - don't drive yourself nuts over it. If you can't see the difference in the pattern without counting rows, no one else can either.

sue, nevermind how many things and how many times I've ripped them out and started over again....

brownishcoat
11-16-2006, 05:57 PM
My roommate and I both have long hair,

My roommate and I have long hair, too. Hers is much longer than mine, but mine is much longer than it used to be. It's about a foot below my shoulders now! I was pulling a hair out of my knitting the other day, and the strand broke before it came all the way out. I looked for the rest of it, but didn't see anything. Oh, well! :shrug:

AnreeAce
11-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Yeah, long hair here too!
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m239/acehudson1/Oddball/LongHair.jpg

I get as much of it out of my knitting as I can... :roll:

trollgirl
11-16-2006, 06:30 PM
All this talk about hair in knitting makes me wonder if you can knit with your own hair. You can spin all kinds of fur, I wonder if you can spin human hair. The individual strands of my hair are really thick and I can't imagine how it would work, but I'm sure someone has done it.

snowbear
11-17-2006, 01:44 AM
When I made my daughter's afghan; It was 3 different pattern squares, and I made 10 squares each. When she got it she looked it over and :roflhard: Her husband asked what was so funny.. she said " Mother & Cassie, (my cat) are with us in hair only". Not sure that was that funny, but it is the truth, I get my hair & the cat's hair in everything. Oh well, at least she knows I made it..lol

suzeeq
11-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Heeee, the sweater I'm working on now for my `more than bf, not husband' is gonna have little bits of my hair and cat hair in it. I'm sure he'll like all the more for that...

sue

HamaLee
11-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Oh man, I have my hair and my dog's hair all over everything I knit, all my clothes, everything. I try my best to pick it out of my knitting but I've mostly given up the ghost.

Sometimes I don't even notice it until I leave the house--I've developed some sort of environmental blindness to it :wink: