PDA

View Full Version : numb finger

LoAnnie
11-16-2006, 05:43 PM
My ring finger on my left hand keeps going numb. I'm hoping it has something to do with the needles I am using, because I've been using size 2 needle for about 2 months now on toys for the nephews. I'm almost finished with the toys, so I'm hoping the numbness goes away. The thing is, if I don't knit for a few days it goes away, but as soon as I start back up, it goes numb again. And it's not like a leg falling asleep, where you can "wake it back up." When this happens, it stays for about 24 hours. I think the small needles sit right in the crook of that knuckle and cut off circulation. Have any of you ever had this kind of problem? I'm too young to have to give up knitting. :waah:

LoAnnie

MrTea
11-16-2006, 05:48 PM
It could be a problem with a pinched nerve in your neck. Probably not serious. Is your neck/shoulder tense? Try to relax and sit up straight. Have a friend give you a neck rub. If it gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek a professional.

suzeeq
11-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Mr Tea is right. Nerves, and muscles, in the neck and shoulders get squeezed when we sit in one position for long periods of time. Get up and move around every once in a while, shake out your hands and arms, do stretches. The muscles in your arms near your elbows may have tender spots in them too; rub around until you find one and massage them out. And ditto on the massage. If you don't have a friend or relative to give you one, look for at least a chair massage on neck, shoulders upper back and arms, or book a half hour appointment with someone. It will get worse if you neglect to take care of it.

sue

MrTea
11-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Withdrawn

lauraknits
11-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Wow, is that what we do? Here I thought I was helping people.

MrTea
11-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Wow, is that what we do? Here I thought I was helping people.

Oh no. It looks like I did it again. I'll remove the post. sorry (sigh)

lauraknits
11-16-2006, 07:36 PM
no harm done. I know a lot of people have had a bad experience with doctors. I have, too. I think it was part of my motivation. Anyway, to the OP, the advice you've gotten is solid.